Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How useful are the sandbags for leg and wrist?

How useful are the sandbags for leg and wrist?

I usually spend 20~30 minutes everyday on weight training but since I have a tight schedule I am thinking about buying some sandbags that can be wrapped around the leg/wrist and just practice my forms with them but before I buy them online I would like to know if this method actually works and if it can replace normal weight training.

What do you think?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I don't know as I haven't tried them before and I don't know what weight I should order but theoretically I guess that it might be better than normal weight training as it can be more focused on the muscles that I need more. On the other hand I am worried that having the around my wrists might mess up my form.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 06-25-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    I don't know as I haven't tried them before and I don't know what weight I should order but theoretically I guess that it might be better than normal weight training as it can be more focused on the muscles that I need more.
    Well, that would depend on WHAT you are trying to do, right?
    Weighting down your limbs will make it harder to do moves, of course, but since the moves you typically do in MA are not "against" gravity per say ( outside of jumping of course),then that really isn't a "direct" resistance against the correct range of motion, is it?
    Ex:
    Weights around your wrist will make you arm heavier BUT when you strike it isn't about overcoming the weight of your arm, is it?

Weight training is about make your muscles stronger in the IDEAL range that they typically work, and example is making the bicep stronger by curling a weight.
    The bicep is used in doing an uppercut ( for example), but doing an uppercut with weight on your wrist will NOT develop the strength of that bicep as well as doing curls.
    In short, for MA and pretty much any other physcial activity, you want to STRENGTH the muscles in a "general way" ( typically the best move to make the muscle the strongest) and DEVELOP the USE of that strength in a "task specific" movement, IE:
    Build your chest and arm muscles with weight training
    Develop the use of that strength by punching the Heavy bag, mitts, etc, etc.

You want to combine them in one, right?
    Well, you can BUT you will never develop EITHER attribute as well as if you do them separately.
    Your muscles will get stronger, just not as strong or as quick as with weight training.
    Your techniques will get better BUT because you are doing them with artifically enhanced resistance in the wrong "range/plane of motion" then they will not be developed in the best way possible.

thanks, it makes sense.

May I ask why you train weights "every day" as you put it?

To be stronger in sparring. I do xinyiliuhe and taiji as a hobby but I think a certain standard in strength is necessary even for someone who does this as a hobby.

I know there are many factors involved in fajin like harmonies, structure, being relaxed, etc but in my experience muscle power is also a very important part. The power in my fajin is much more than what I could do before weight training.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 06-25-2012 at 09:18 AM.

To be stronger in sparring. I do xinyiliuhe and taiji as a hobby but I think a certain standard in strength is necessary even for someone who does this as a hobby.

I know there are many factors involved in fajin like harmonies, structure, being relaxed, etc but in my experience muscle power is also a very important part. The power in my fajin is much more than what I could do before weight training.
    But why do you do it EVERY day?
    And what type of weight training do you do?

But why do you do it EVERY day?
    Because I like to do everything in a routine. I do lots of things everyday and try to spend some time on all of them. In the morning I do warm up, weight training or sometimes push ups and work on my high kicks. in the evening I do xinyi as well as doing my moves against a heavy bag and at night I do taiji or qigong.

And what type of weight training do you do?
    lifting weights in different ways.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 07-02-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Because I like to do everything in a routine. I do lots of things everyday and try to spend some time on all of them. In the morning I do warm up, weight training or sometimes push ups and work on my high kicks. in the evening I do xinyi and chaquan as well as doing my moves against a heavy bag and at night I do taiji or qigong.

lifting weights in different ways.
    Are you following any Strength building regime/ protocol?

Are you following any Strength building regime/ protocol?
    Not really. Can you explain more?

Depending on what type of strength you want to build, you have different ways of doing it and the ONLY time you would work out "everyday" with weights is IF you are advanced AND splitting up your body parts or doing different advanced workouts every day.

I'm very uneducated about weight training. Do you have any suggestions where I can learn more?

Work is the architect and Rest is the builder.

If you keep constantly stressing the body and not resting it, it will take a long time to build any mass or strength. You have to rest, you have to feed the body what it needs when you are stressing it in this way.

Any number of regimens is fine, take your pick according to your goals and stick with it.

If you are sandboxing, you are wasting time in the long run.

Get a regimen. Stick to it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'm very uneducated about weight training. Do you have any suggestions where I can learn more?

yes, here is a site that will fully educate you on muscular development and strength training that won't cost you much. the site itself and all the advice is 100% free and Scooby knows what he's talking about.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/
    Kung Fu is good for you.