Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing chun master class demo

Wing chun master class demo

Quote Originally Posted by thedreamer7 View Post
    Attach a kettle-bell to your wrist (or something heavy) and see what body structure can support the weight with ease.

Have someone really resist and see how well it works.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Attach a kettle-bell to your wrist (or something heavy) and see what body structure can support the weight with ease.

Have someone really resist and see how well it works.
    Why would you put a weight at the wrist? it would serve no purpose. I'm not from the same lineage as the guy in the clip and I'm not a fan of his chum kiu explanation but I don't see the relevance of putting weight on the wrist.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Why would you put a weight at the wrist? it would serve no purpose. I'm not from the same lineage as the guy in the clip and I'm not a fan of his chum kiu explanation but I don't see the relevance of putting weight on the wrist.
    As a test. Your opponent is not going to play your game, will be looking for opportunity to crush you. A good structure should give you the ability to manipulate incoming force with ease.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

It is not up to me to comment what's right or wrong, just suggesting how one can test their structures.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

but hanging a kettle bell on your wrist is not a test of structure. By definition gravity will pull the kettle bell straight down. If you feel a downwards pressure at your wrist you should simply let it go and so applying this logic you would just keep dropping the kettle bell. Testing structure is fine but only if it is tested in the direction in which it is intended to be strong.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

but hanging a kettle bell on your wrist is not a test of structure. By definition gravity will pull the kettle bell straight down. If you feel a downwards pressure at your wrist you should simply let it go and so applying this logic you would just keep dropping the kettle bell. Testing structure is fine but only if it is tested in the direction in which it is intended to be strong.
    Fair enough. I am presenting an over simplified view.

However, the beginning part of the video, the teacher does seem to be "lifting" the student's arm/elbow with the bong Sau, of which if the student was resisting, he could push down with a fair bit of weight.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Looking at Sifu Leos clip it is obvious he is entertaining many beginners and is using what he knows best to explain specifics, but imho this isn't a 'Master Class' at all but an intro for the newbie.

Interesting ideas that are familiar to me, but again nothing like how I would do things personally but that's neither here nor there...

I see his U.S student is based in NYC so maybe some of you guys have met him already?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

IMO, The more distal you go on the arm (wrist) the weaker the structure is. If you can master the weakest point then everything else falls into place, IMO. This only gives you something to start out with, later apply what you came out of that exercise with to your push hand/chi sao/gor sao/grappling...etc. Same can be come in the opposite direction at the wrist.
    Last edited by nasmedicine; 06-26-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Fair enough. I am presenting an over simplified view.

However, the beginning part of the video, the teacher does seem to be "lifting" the student's arm/elbow with the bong Sau, of which if the student was resisting, he could push down with a fair bit of weight.
    fair comment, I see where you are coming from now.That bit of the clip is a little alien to me, its not something I do. I guess you could test it by getting the partner to push down hard and fast at the elbow. In theory at least if you get your hips underneath and the elbow is higher than the shoulder you should be able to transmit the force to your legs but then as I say its not something I do.

I'm actually starting to form an opinion that watching one-step punch and response videos makes you slightly stupider every time you see one.

To me the bong sau he's showing is a whole lot longer of a movement than the punch coming in that he's trying to deal with. As such it's not real appealing from an efficiency standpoint. From my experience, movements like that degrade with live action - not very effective.

This is one of the main problems with these guys, they try to explain why something works and don't know the real reasons themselves, so everybody get more confused when doesn't work.

Cheers

When techniques and principles are developed in a practical way ( under pressure) BUT are not trained that way, something gets lost in the translation.
    Returning to the old ways may not be such a bad thing for many so-called traditionalists.
    And by old way I mean how the developers of WC did it: Pressure testing.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Forget the techniques. I only watched the opening of the clip and the first thing he advocates is to turn off line before he has even engaged the attack or any energy on a bridge, which is giving up Centerline. No Centerline - no WCK.

I shut it off after that.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Forget the techniques. I only watched the opening of the clip and the first thing he advocates is to turn off line before he has even engaged the attack or any energy on a bridge, which is giving up Centerline. No Centerline - no WCK.

I shut it off after that.
    No he advocating turning when confronting the attack. Do you not hear his words, "When he comes in, I turn"