Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Chan's Choy Lee Fut

Paul Chan's Choy Lee Fut

Yesterday I had an interesting training session with a gentleman called Chon, who used to teach CLF in my city, Rio de Janeiro, by the middle of the last decade.

Mr. Chon has learned Choy Lee Fut from Master Lap Wah Ng (Brazil), on his turn a student of Master Paul Chan (Canada).

I enjoyed the training very much, and I'm grateful to my Sifu, Wong Zen Yem (NYC) for encouraging me to have as much experience with CLF as I can, no matter what family/lineage I get in touch with. Considering that there's not even a single CLF school in Rio at this writting, each opportunity I have is more than precious.

The material Mr Chon shew me and drilled with me was objectively distinct from my previous CLF experience with (Futsan Hung Sing?)Master Chan Kwok Wai's disciple Marcello Teixeira (on whom be peace) and (King Mui) Sifu Wong Zen Yem. Many of the exercises that Mr. Chon shared with me had a distinct Hung Gar flavour, with lots of dynamic tension and lots of one finger bridge hands.

This is the form Mr. Chon performed last night (the video is of his sifu doing a sort of step by step demo): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B01e5n_aTcw

I have never heard of a Siu Nam Kuen either in CLF or in Hung Gar. It resambles HG the most, though.

And here is his sifu performing Siu Mui Fa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4IJ52SZkSI

Almost the same as my Sifu's Siu Mui Fa (Chan Family/King Mui), but certainly with another flavour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-SFvbnzTuU

Master Paul Chan deleted his lineage charter from his website, but I found this one: http://www.geocities.ws/san_soowushu/Siu_Hung.html

At first glance, it seems he's Chan Fam, but I wouldn't say so after the last night training.

Would anyone here be willing to share some info on Paul Chan's Choy Lee Fut?

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    Siu Nam Kuen either in CLF
    Little Southern Fist? It sounds like a hybrid or a newly created one. But not from CLF. i would agree has mucho hung gar flavor.

Master Chan History

Master Paul Chan has been teaching martial arts for 42 years.

At age 11, he began training in Chinese martial arts, and throughout the course of his life, he has studied under three famous masters and trained thousands of students.

Early Beginings
    At age 11, Master Paul Chan began training under Grandmaster Wong Chun Yip in October 1943.

Grandmaster Wong, a boxer of Short-Hand Choi Lee Fut, taught martial arts at Chunyung village in the Chong Lau district of Guangdong province, People's Republic of China. Grandmaster Wong later established himself in Fow Shek village where he opened the Heung Hing Federation and took thirty children between the ages of 8 to 15 as his students.

Paul Chan was among the thirty students to enrol in the school and spent 6 years under Grandmaster Wong's gruelling regimen. Forging their skills with hard work and discipline, Grandmaster Wong made his students recite the following dictum on a daily basis, "Never be afraid of the strong, for you have fast hands and feet. Develop fast hands, quick eyes, powerful techniques, and a quick mind."

After six long years under Grandmaster Wong's arduous training regimen, Master Paul Chan had built a solid foundation in Chinese martial arts. With refined skills and spirit, this would mark the very beginning of Master Paul Chan's journey.

Tutelage Under a Legend
    In 1949, Master Paul Chan took what he had learned in mainland China and moved to Hong Kong. While in Hong Kong, Master Paul Chan began training under the legendary boxer Grandmaster Chan Dau.

A native of Bon Li Won village, Grandmaster Chan Dau was a descendant of the powerful Yuan family. As one of Guangdong province's famed Ten Tigers, he was a man with a formidable reputation and a consummate warrior. Chan Dau is the founder of Do Pi or the Style of the Way.

Master Paul Chan learned Do Pi, or the Style of the Way, under Grandmaster Chan Dau. Over the course of many years, Master Paul Chan excelled in the style and forged a strong bond with Grandmaster Chan Dau. The two men shared a special relationship, as Master Paul Chan soon became the Grandmaster's "personal bodyguard" at every important occasion.

With a strong knowledge of Do Pi, fighting application techniques, and heigong, Master Paul Chan took what he learned from Grandmaster Chan Dau and later moved to Canada.

A New Legacy
    In 1961, Master Paul Chan founded Hong Luck Kung Fu Club with a handful of associates in Toronto, Canada. Since that time, Hong Luck Kung Fu Club continues to share Choi Lee Fut and Do Pi with dedicated students of the martial arts.

Master Paul Chan also holds a black belt in judo, which he earned under Sensei Frank Hata****a between the years of 1958 to 1965.

Today, Master Paul Chan is the President of the Confederation of Canadian Wushu Organizations, Vice-President of the North American United Kung Fu Association, and holds many other titles. He still teaches classes and is every bit dedicated to the progress of his students.

Credentials
    » Vice-President, North American Kung Fu Federation
    » President, Confederation of Canadian Wushu Organizations
    » Chief Brother, Canadian Chinese Free Masons
    » President, Canadian Do Pi Association
    » Advisor, Philippines Southern Chinese Wushu Association
    » Honourary Chairman, Guangdong Province Choi Lee Fut Association
    » Honourary Chairman, Guangzhou City Physical Education Association
    » Eternal Supervisor, Ontario Federation of Martial Arts
    » Advisor, Western Canada Chinese Wushu Association
    » Honourary Chairman, Taishan City Wushu Association
    » Honourary Chairman, Hong Kong Chan Dau Do Pi Fist Association
    » Chief Instructor of Do Pi and Choi Leet Fut, Hong Luck Kung Fu Club
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 03-06-2012 at 06:13 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Little Southern Fist? It sounds like a hybrid or a newly created one. But not from CLF. i would agree has mucho hung gar flavor.

Master Chan History

Master Paul Chan has been teaching martial arts for 42 years.

At age 11, he began training in Chinese martial arts, and throughout the course of his life, he has studied under three famous masters and trained thousands of students.

Early Beginings
    At age 11, Master Paul Chan began training under Grandmaster Wong Chun Yip in October 1943.

Grandmaster Wong, a boxer of Short-Hand Choi Lee Fut, taught martial arts at Chunyung village in the Chong Lau district of Guangdong province, People's Republic of China. Grandmaster Wong later established himself in Fow Shek village where he opened the Heung Hing Federation and took thirty children between the ages of 8 to 15 as his students.

Paul Chan was among the thirty students to enrol in the school and spent 6 years under Grandmaster Wong's gruelling regimen. Forging their skills with hard work and discipline, Grandmaster Wong made his students recite the following dictum on a daily basis, "Never be afraid of the strong, for you have fast hands and feet. Develop fast hands, quick eyes, powerful techniques, and a quick mind."

After six long years under Grandmaster Wong's arduous training regimen, Master Paul Chan had built a solid foundation in Chinese martial arts. With refined skills and spirit, this would mark the very beginning of Master Paul Chan's journey.

Tutelage Under a Legend
    In 1949, Master Paul Chan took what he had learned in mainland China and moved to Hong Kong. While in Hong Kong, Master Paul Chan began training under the legendary boxer Grandmaster Chan Dau.

A native of Bon Li Won village, Grandmaster Chan Dau was a descendant of the powerful Yuan family. As one of Guangdong province's famed Ten Tigers, he was a man with a formidable reputation and a consummate warrior. Chan Dau is the founder of Do Pi or the Style of the Way.

Master Paul Chan learned Do Pi, or the Style of the Way, under Grandmaster Chan Dau. Over the course of many years, Master Paul Chan excelled in the style and forged a strong bond with Grandmaster Chan Dau. The two men shared a special relationship, as Master Paul Chan soon became the Grandmaster's "personal bodyguard" at every important occasion.

With a strong knowledge of Do Pi, fighting application techniques, and heigong, Master Paul Chan took what he learned from Grandmaster Chan Dau and later moved to Canada.

A New Legacy
    In 1961, Master Paul Chan founded Hong Luck Kung Fu Club with a handful of associates in Toronto, Canada. Since that time, Hong Luck Kung Fu Club continues to share Choi Lee Fut and Do Pi with dedicated students of the martial arts.

Master Paul Chan also holds a black belt in judo, which he earned under Sensei Frank Hata****a between the years of 1958 to 1965.

Today, Master Paul Chan is the President of the Confederation of Canadian Wushu Organizations, Vice-President of the North American United Kung Fu Association, and holds many other titles. He still teaches classes and is every bit dedicated to the progress of his students.

Credentials
    » Vice-President, North American Kung Fu Federation
    » President, Confederation of Canadian Wushu Organizations
    » Chief Brother, Canadian Chinese Free Masons
    » President, Canadian Do Pi Association
    » Advisor, Philippines Southern Chinese Wushu Association
    » Honourary Chairman, Guangdong Province Choi Lee Fut Association
    » Honourary Chairman, Guangzhou City Physical Education Association
    » Eternal Supervisor, Ontario Federation of Martial Arts
    » Advisor, Western Canada Chinese Wushu Association
    » Honourary Chairman, Taishan City Wushu Association
    » Honourary Chairman, Hong Kong Chan Dau Do Pi Fist Association
    » Chief Instructor of Do Pi and Choi Leet Fut, Hong Luck Kung Fu Club
    Hi,

have you heard of one of Master Paul Chan's student by the name of Toney fucelli? I heard he had quite the reputation amoung old school bouncers in toronto back in the day, and was undefeated as a street fighter.

Blog Entries
    Hi,

have you heard of one of Master Paul Chan's student by the name of Toney fucelli? I heard he had quite the reputation amoung old school bouncers in toronto back in the day, and was undefeated as a street fighter.
    sorry the name doesn't ring a bell for me.

Thank you, Sifu Frank, for your answer.
    The text you quotes reads "short hand Choy Lee Fut".
    Is that a separate lineage, I mean, something particular to Master Paul Chan's sifu, maybe a mix CLF+HG?

Blog Entries
    yeah i believe it was either going to be a new lineage or possibly one lineage who focused more on the shorter handed stuff.

On one hand it could just be a chan family lineage who develops the shorter hands stuff.

and yeah it could be a mix of CLF and Hung Gar....i would think so.

My Choy Lay Fut teacher taught me Hung style's Sup Ying Kuen. I didn't learn until later on what form it actually was. It is the only Hung style form I learned from him, but I continue to practice it for strength and power development. Hung style builds power, no doubt!
    Most (not all) Southern systems (those typically not of the Hakka variety) tend to share forms due to their common features, concepts, and developmental qualities. So, it is not surprising that you would find a heavy Hung style flavor within the particular branch of Choy Lay Fut that you are researching.

All hail the Southern fist!
    Last edited by crazyfistmonk; 03-06-2012 at 07:38 PM.

I see where you come from, brother.
    I myself believe in the virtues of cross-training and absorbing what's useful from the other's style.
    The point is: if HG's flavour is more intense... is it still CLF?
    I'd love to hear from someone from Master Paul Chan's camp.

Not from Master Pauls Chans camp, but did study for a brief period with a student of his cousin master mark chan, he also taught the same village short hand CLF style from Toisan that Paul teaches
    From what I remember it was a style combining the teachings of various visiting teaches/monks combining both hung gar and CLF, they had a saying Hung(gar) head, Choy (gar) tail.
    There CLF was played at a closer range I believe (not don’t any other CLF to compare it with just what I had heard) and since it was mixed with hung gar did have a harder feel, but it was still most definitely CLF, both Master Chan’s hold teaching positions within their respective Chinese freemason associations, which would suggest both are held in high regard amongst the Chinese community, I also know that both have also trained with other highly regarded master, paul chan with Chan Dau, Mark Chan with Bak Mei Master Chow Fook

Thank you, Frost, for the valuable information you provided.

Panther Fist Charp Chois and Saw Chois aside, most of the hands I saw in my CLF training with Mr. Chon were definitely Hung Gar (I myself practiced HG - Master Li Hon Ki's school - between 11 and 16 yrs old so I instantly recognizes the shapes), but the stances and the Da Bo drills were pretty much CLF.

Mr Chon does not have many info or interest on the lineage thing, so I wonder whether Master Paul Chan learned the short hand CLF from his teacher or whether he learned Chan Fam CLF and HG from his teacher and later created the short hand CLF by blending those two Southern arts.

Master Paul Chan's website is not clear about the historical background of his CLF, hence my bringing these questions to the forum,

Since his cousin Master Mark Chan and his students refer to their lineage as short hand CLF as well, I suspect it all came from their grand father Wong Chun Yip which I believe comes from the Toisan Lee Hin CLF lineage
    Of course all this is going from memory lol its been a while since I actually did the style
    When I did the system we learned separate CLF forms, and hung gar forms, don’t know if that helps

Blog Entries
    they had a saying Hung(gar) head, Choy (gar) tail.
    Oh yeah, i've heard of Hung Tao Choy Mei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN-Ftrc-N-o

Hung Tao Choy Mei - is a common reference to Jow Gar. That could explain things because Jow Gar sure looks like a mixture of hung gar and CLF.

Blog Entries
    yeah that form i posted moves very similar to the one Marcelo posted.

Jow-Ga Kung Fu (Chinese: 周家) (aka Zhou Jia) (Chinese: 周家功夫) is a form of Kung Fu. It was founded by Jow Lung who was born in 1891, on the eleventh day of the third lunar month (April 16th, 1891) in Sa Fu Village of the Canton Province, and died in 1919. His father was Jow Fong Hoy and his mother’s maiden name was Li. At the time of its inception, this particular style of Kung Fu was labeled as having the head of Hung Gar, the tail of Choy Gar and the patterns of the tiger and leopard, or simply Hung Tao Choy Mei. It was so labeled because the essential techniques incorporated the muscular and mighty movements of Hung Gar and the swift footwork and complex kicking of Choy Gar, making it a very effective form of self defense with emphasis on simultaneous attack and defense.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 03-07-2012 at 07:46 AM.

lol i might have got that completly wrong as im going from memory, they used hung gar to build the foundation and CLF was added from what i remember, it wasnt jow gar it was a village based CLF system which taught hung gar and CLF forms, as well as 5 animals

Although i suppose if someone developed a system by adding hung gar and CLF, you get what would look like another system which was put together out of elemants of hung gar and CLF