Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on knuckle and forearm conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    Yeah how isn't needed for non iron training really, maybe on bruises from the training itself. I dont think even a hanging sandbag would be good. It becomes very hard when compacted and you can't loosen it very easily if it's in a bag. The arm knocking is not dangerous at all just do a figure 8 pattern your left arm hits the right arm then swing the right to hit the left on top and gradually move up and down the tops of the arms. I had no problem starting at about 40 total for that. Just don't slam your arms hard a little force is okay, then I move to my iron arm bag, the same one suggested. I follow the Wing lam method and I just ordered ddj from Dale, it's way cheaper in the long run to make your own. You might wanna dabble in iron palm also. Good luck and feel free to ask if you have more questions
    Thank you all for your advice.
    I have a quick question on the ''figure 8 pattern''. Would you happen to know where I can find visuals/videos of this exercise? I have no idea how it is (and should) be performed?

Many thanks again
    Damien

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    without proper instruction you might cripple your forearms if you try to do "iron arm". if you insist, then lightly tap them against each other.

the most basic kung fu forearm training is locking skill. you just randomly knock your forearms against each other. start with 5 times and increase by 1 every day. dont hit the tendons, lightly tap. this excercise is retard proof.

yeah be careful with this stuff... my training brother broke his arm going too hard against a wooden dummy (actually a 8ft tree stump cut and turned smooth)
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

I just tried looking around for it and couldn't did anything. I will try to elaborate okay imagine as a figure 8 one side of the eight is the left arm. And one side is the right arm. One arm will be traveling in an arc so a sweeping motion say you start with your left arm. You hold your right arm ahead of you say waist level, not way up at shoulder height but to where it's comfortable. You start at that neutral position both arms out you sweep your left arm in a clockwise arc it doesn't have to be a huge dramatized over the head swing just make a full circle like and hit the bottom area of your left arm just below the elbow on the top of your right, so same spot just reversed side. Then take your right arm. Swing it course clockwise and hit it in the same area where it was just struck so your getting the equal conditioning on the same area both arms. And repeat this progressing it slowly down your arms until you get to the wrist. I would say when you get toward the wrist be more fragile. The tendons are frail as are your veins. I hope this helped. Also your arms do not need to be tensed at all to do this. Feel free to post if you need more explanation or assistance. I will try to find a video to help you out

http://tbfl.web.fc2.com/lock.html I found a picture here with the two arms. Don't follow those instructions but you see the format of how you strike there. Just put the movement in there and that's what I mean.

a simple way to condition the arms... we actually did this in my black tiger training. Start out with about 15-20 chopsticks or small dowels. Wrap them in rubberbands at each end. Slowly bang them up and down your arms and as you get acustomed to it bang a little harder!

As you get use to it you can increase the size of the dowels (thickness) and continue the same routine. You'd be surprised how well this works... just don't rush this type of training because you can hurt yourself and maybe do some nerve damage.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

I recommend
    1. getting the beating bags from wle. Beginner and then gravel intermediate.
    2. Get jow, I ordered from Dale at coilingdragon and if you do this I recommend the Fukien shaolin recipe along with the premade of it (making the joe takes several weeks for it just to start beginning to get ready) also if you order the how kit get a large glass jar I use a gallon pickle jar. Plastic will leak chemicals into the jow

Let me know what you plan to do, I myself know how It is to need assistance and am eager to help you

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    a simple way to condition the arms... we actually did this in my black tiger training. Start out with about 15-20 chopsticks or small dowels. Wrap them in rubberbands at each end. Slowly bang them up and down your arms and as you get acustomed to it bang a little harder!

As you get use to it you can increase the size of the dowels (thickness) and continue the same routine. You'd be surprised how well this works... just don't rush this type of training because you can hurt yourself and maybe do some nerve damage.
    That may lack the density to get sufficient increases in bone density. It's kind of like scraping the bottle up and down your shins that some people do. It increases pain tolerance but you don't necessarily get the actual conditioning effect.

Also, I wrote out the entire routine in post 7
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    I recommend
    1. getting the beating bags from wle. Beginner and then gravel intermediate.
    2. Get jow, I ordered from Dale at coilingdragon and if you do this I recommend the Fukien shaolin recipe along with the premade of it (making the joe takes several weeks for it just to start beginning to get ready) also if you order the how kit get a large glass jar I use a gallon pickle jar. Plastic will leak chemicals into the jow

Let me know what you plan to do, I myself know how It is to need assistance and am eager to help you
    Hi Raipizo,
    It's funny that you should say that, I just received my beginner training bag from wle. And I should receive jow from Dale in a few days. I went for some Ounce Blue Dragon Massage/Tui Na Oil. I figured I would try it out and see how it goes.
    Good times ahead!

Thanks for the description of the exercise and the visual aid, I'll keep this whole exercise in the back of my mind and focus on training bag.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    That may lack the density to get sufficient increases in bone density. It's kind of like scraping the bottle up and down your shins that some people do. It increases pain tolerance but you don't necessarily get the actual conditioning effect.

Also, I wrote out the entire routine in post 7
    I was trying to give a starting point... not give an inexperienced person without a teacher more advanced methods without supervision. Just offering my .02 cents to the discussion.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Not to make you seem in a rush but the premade jow will only last a bit covering the entire forearm.So maybe see how you like that kind and if you like it order bulk size, or try another. Dale recommended the Fukien Shaolin to me for the iron palm and body but that's all on your preference. If you need help on how to make the jow and apply it feel free to ask. And post some progress on your training

I would love to make my own DDJ.
    I’ve run a search, I’ve found some nice insight/tips on the forum and I’ve found the following on the web: http://www.aikidofaq.com/making/dit_da_jao.html
    This link provides good advice on how to proceed but I do not know what herbs/alcohol to select. Considering my routine (previously described), would you have any recommendations on the herbs and alcohol to use? I will go to a local Chinese medicine shop to get these.

As I am writing, I can think of two other questions –apologies if they sound trivial or naive.
    1- Having a Western perspective on sports and martial arts, I find it difficult to understand that you can train every day without damaging your body in the medium/long term. I recall several of my P.E. teachers mentioning that muscles and joints needed a rest of at least 24h between exercises. Although I am definitely not going too hard on my body, I would like to make sure that I am not heading for some pains/injuries leading to long term issues with my body (arthritis, etc.). The whole philosophy behind conditioning sort of contradicts my approach, and I would appreciate to get your views on it based on your experience and your knowledge.
    2- You all made it clear that the key in proper conditioning lies in going for a progressive routine (number of reps, strength, etc.), not rushing things out, taking it slow. Therefore, I am wondering: whenever you cannot follow your routine for, say 1 week, how do you handle it? Do you just resume it as if you did not stop it, or do you go easy for a period?

Many thanks indeed.
    D.

Buying Chinese herbs from herb stores is a great way to get exposed to mercury, cadmium, and other heavy metals along with other nasty chemicals.

Unless your herb store is testing their herbs or buying from wholesalers who test their herbs, and there are only 3 companies that do this testing on their herbs, you have no idea if your herbs are safe or not.

I only sell tested herbs from those 3 suppliers.

Let me know how I can be of service.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAx View Post
    I would love to make my own DDJ.
    I’ve run a search, I’ve found some nice insight/tips on the forum and I’ve found the following on the web: http://www.aikidofaq.com/making/dit_da_jao.html
    This link provides good advice on how to proceed but I do not know what herbs/alcohol to select. Considering my routine (previously described), would you have any recommendations on the herbs and alcohol to use? I will go to a local Chinese medicine shop to get these.

As I am writing, I can think of two other questions –apologies if they sound trivial or naive.
    1- Having a Western perspective on sports and martial arts, I find it difficult to understand that you can train every day without damaging your body in the medium/long term. I recall several of my P.E. teachers mentioning that muscles and joints needed a rest of at least 24h between exercises. Although I am definitely not going too hard on my body, I would like to make sure that I am not heading for some pains/injuries leading to long term issues with my body (arthritis, etc.). The whole philosophy behind conditioning sort of contradicts my approach, and I would appreciate to get your views on it based on your experience and your knowledge.
    2- You all made it clear that the key in proper conditioning lies in going for a progressive routine (number of reps, strength, etc.), not rushing things out, taking it slow. Therefore, I am wondering: whenever you cannot follow your routine for, say 1 week, how do you handle it? Do you just resume it as if you did not stop it, or do you go easy for a period?

Many thanks indeed.
    D.
    The conditioning is not very strenuous at all muscles need time to rest but your conditioning the bone and tendon. I would say the muscle slightly as you condition it to feel less pain but not unless you go nuts on your arms you should have no problem. The jow helps to prevent those issues btw, also if you go without a week I just picked up where I was basically. It would take a longer period of time I'd say because you body will be conditioned to it quite well. I imagine it would take some time to lose it. Hopes this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Buying Chinese herbs from herb stores is a great way to get exposed to mercury, cadmium, and other heavy metals along with other nasty chemicals.

Unless your herb store is testing their herbs or buying from wholesalers who test their herbs, and there are only 3 companies that do this testing on their herbs, you have no idea if your herbs are safe or not.

I only sell tested herbs from those 3 suppliers.

Let me know how I can be of service.
    Do you know of any reliable sellers of tested mercury, cadmium, heavy metal and chemical free herbs, Dale?

Dale sells some himself. And for the alcohol you can just use cheap 40% vodka. Anything else gets pricey. It might be cheaper to buy Dales jow kits than to buy the herbs individually. Do some shopping around .