Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Advice on knuckle and forearm conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Usually the hands get fatter and fleshier faster than the change in knuckle size. Also, as opposed to the karatekas who don't use jow, we, depending on the strength of the jow, often don't exhibit a large outward change in the bone. It's more a toughening and densifying of the skin, tendons, fascia and bones than the bones/knuckles getting big. If you want bigger knuckles then stop using the jow, but you'll run the risk of getting arthritis too then though.
    Thank you all for your feedback, and sorry for the false alarm .

Reflecting on what you said, I understand that the hand will thicken way before there's any noticeable change in the bones/knuckles.
    But doesn't it come at the expense of flexibility? I mean, in the long run, doesn't it impair the ability to use the hand (grab things, fold hand, tighten fist, etc.) if the hand is fatter but the bones relatively unchanged?

I am very curious and I tend to ask lots of (naive) questions, please do let me know if that's getting too annoying.
    Thanks

Well, ideally the dit da jow and doing the precise hand movements of the forms of your kung fu system make your hands even more flexible. One of the guys at my old Wing Chun school who did it was a photographer so he needed finger dexterity for the precise little movements had to focus and take pictures etc and he suffered no loss of sensitivity or flexibility. A knowledgeable sifu will help you avoid those problems. But that's another reason to purchase iron palm DVDs by knowledgeable people like Dale Dugas and Rod Morgan's group.

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Well, ideally the dit da jow and doing the precise hand movements of the forms of your kung fu system make your hands even more flexible. One of the guys at my old Wing Chun school who did it was a photographer so he needed finger dexterity for the precise little movements had to focus and take pictures etc and he suffered no loss of sensitivity or flexibility. A knowledgeable sifu will help you avoid those problems. But that's another reason to purchase iron palm DVDs by knowledgeable people like Dale Dugas and Rod Morgan's group.
    Precisely my friend. Look up Tao123chi on YouTube and his iron palm videos in particular, it's Rod Morgan's channel