Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on knuckle and forearm conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Maybe that's why I never noticed it having any effect.

This was over 10 years ago before they started selling the 3x strength stuff so I never had a chance to try that.

I've never tried any other kinds so I have nothing to compare it against.

Double blind studies?
    IronFist: Try Jow from different sources. You should buy a bottle from Dale, try it out see what are the results. Try bottle from me, see what the affect is. There are lots of online places that sell jow. Sometimes different jows smell different or have a different feel (viscous or liquidy etc), sometimes jow has a different affect on your body, sometimes different jows cause rashes on some people.

Experiment and see what you like

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by MadAx View Post
    Which brings me to a question: when hitting the forearm with the bag, should I tense it or keep it loose?
    The Wing Lam iron body training program says to make a fist and they keep it pretty tight. Supposed to lock in the qi or something.

Just make a fist. It doesn't have to be SUPER tight and tensed but not completely relaxed.

As for punches, David Jamieson, you mentioned that heavy bags are better than sand bags given that they provide more ‘’give’’. Is this related to the fact that a heavy bag is hanging? If I hang my sandbag onto a wall, would it then allow for more ‘’give’’, would it be okay?
    A sandbag is good for training the fist but not really for getting used to throwing a punch. A heavy bag weighs more and will get your body used to the shock that comes from striking something with a punch. A sandbag or a bag filled with beans, even if attached to the wall, does not accurately do this.

I will definitely keep in mind the ‘’slow’’ part. I suppose the fact that I cannot go for a daily training (only 2 or 3 times a week) will actually help build up progressively.
    You don't have 10 minutes every day to do forearm training (3 minutes warmup, 2 minutes hitting (probably less), 5 minutes self-massage)?

Should I still apply DDJ on days where I do not train?
    What Dale said.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Yeah it doesn't take long to do iron training. You should try to exercise more even a few minutes a couple times a day is better than nothing

I definitely can make room for a training everyday, and I will get myself a heavy bag, too.
    I'm finally ready for action! Thanks for your feedback.

Dale's jow works amazingly.

The only thing I would change about it is the smell. It smells terrible, lol.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post

I have yet to find a pleasant smelling ddj that is effective as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post

What liquid do you use?
    I use vodka and notice that the smell is not as bad as when I used to use whiskey.
    I also notice that rice wine makes for a horrific smell ( but a lot cheaper of course).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

jow doesnt really matter. bone hardening is not like muscle training.

if you lift a tiny baby dumbell you will never get strong. you need to lift big weights. people make the mistake assuming this is also the same with conditioning, that you need to hit hard to get hard hands.

lightly hitting doesnt plateau unlike weight lifting. this is the so called "secret method" of iron palm.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    jow doesnt really matter. bone hardening is not like muscle training.

if you lift a tiny baby dumbell you will never get strong. you need to lift big weights. people make the mistake assuming this is also the same with conditioning, that you need to hit hard to get hard hands.

lightly hitting doesnt plateau unlike weight lifting. this is the so called "secret method" of iron palm.
    Jow matters in that it takes care of the bruising faster and keeps one hands baby soft
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    What liquid do you use?
    I use vodka and notice that the smell is not as bad as when I used to use whiskey.
    I also notice that rice wine makes for a horrific smell ( but a lot cheaper of course).
    I use vodka myself.... however, rice wine is too expensive here.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    jow doesnt really matter. bone hardening is not like muscle training. lightly hitting doesnt plateau unlike weight lifting. this is the so called "secret method" of iron palm.
    Jow is quite imortant... many of the ingredients heal bone bruises, thicken skin, muscle, ligament and even bone tissue. I never thought to take pics of before and after of my hand, but if you were touch my hands you would feel the difference between mine and a person how never hit.

ginosifu
    Last edited by ginosifu; 07-05-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Hi all,

I would like to get some dit da jow. With all the great feedback I heard on Dale's jow, I immediately checked out his website.
    http://www.coilingdragon.com/index.p...8e0af61bafbb5f

Now I am wondering which one is best considering the abovementioned routine I have?

Thanks
    Damian

I also use vodka as the alcohol base.

This bruise:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

was gone in nearly three days after the application of my jow.

My student just decided to try the jow we use for iron palm on the bruise to see what effect it would have. He was pleasantly surprised.

BTW, I get my herbs from Josh at Plum Dragon: http://plumdragonherbs.com/
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 07-05-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Dit da helps, though probably more for some people than others. Also, don't underestimate the importance of qigong (or massage). It enhances blood flow, which enhances healing, also (call me "wu-wu" if you must), when you do all that hitting, it's important to do something to help balance your psyche.

I've nearly perfected the moose knuckle technique!

Quote Originally Posted by MadAx View Post
    Hi all,

I would like to get some dit da jow. With all the great feedback I heard on Dale's jow, I immediately checked out his website.
    http://www.coilingdragon.com/index.p...8e0af61bafbb5f

Now I am wondering which one is best considering the abovementioned routine I have?

Thanks
    Damian
    I wouldn't suggest premade unless maybe for a trial to see how you like it.