Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on knuckle and forearm conditioning

Thanks for the advice, Raipizo.
    I was afraid that, over time, doing push-ups every day would harm my joints and muscles. But I suppose dit da jow is my best ally to avoid that.
    Last edited by MadAx; 07-19-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAx View Post
    Thanks for the advice, Raipizo.
    I was afraid that, over time, doing push-ups every day would harm my joints and muscles. But I suppose dit da jow is my best ally to avoid that.
    You will probably want to space out your arm exercise every other day but you don't need to space out iron skill training

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    Dale sells some himself. And for the alcohol you can just use cheap 40% vodka. Anything else gets pricey. It might be cheaper to buy Dales jow kits than to buy the herbs individually. Do some shopping around .
    Is Dale pretty reliable? How long does it take to get the herbs from him after he gets the money? He won't sit on your money for 3 or 4 weeks before sending out your product or anything like that, will he? I've had that problem before with certain companies, but hopefully that won't happen with members here.

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Is Dale pretty reliable? How long does it take to get the herbs from him after he gets the money? He won't sit on your money for 3 or 4 weeks before sending out your product or anything like that, will he? I've had that problem before with certain companies, but hopefully that won't happen with members here.
    I had a shipping issue only because I typed my address wrong cause of my iPad. He threw in a premade bottle for free due to inconvenience and I got it a few days after it reshipped. He's reliable and answers any questions you need to ask. His jow is pretty good stuff compared to the last one I got from another dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    I had a shipping issue only because I typed my address wrong cause of my iPad. He threw in a premade bottle for free due to inconvenience and I got it a few days after it reshipped. He's reliable and answers any questions you need to ask. His jow is pretty good stuff compared to the last one I got from another dealer.
    Okay, cool. I just hate it when you e-mail a business and they don't reply, or reply so you send the money and then they don't send it out for 3 to 4 weeks and don't give you a tracking # or tell you how long its gonna take either. I've always liked Dale though, because he seems so professional and everything. He seems to have great knowledge about Chinese medicine and always ends his posts by asking us to let him know how he can be of service. I mean, if how he shows himself to be in his posts is how he does business, he's got a customer for life, lol! I'll contact him then based on your recommendation. Thanks, buddy! I'll even give him another recommendation (in addition to yours) here on the forum too once I get the goods.

I let this order fall through the cracks and I apologize for this.

I totally dropped the ball and apologize.

I have been busy getting my clinic up and running.

I have set up a 25% off coupon code for Faruq that is for life. I dropped the ball and the customer should not have to suffer. Just type in Faruq at checkout and you will see the 25% come off your entire order.

I have also just filled the formula he was seeking.

I treated some of the herbs with vinegar and others with wine and fried them.

I added legally obtained and managed Moutain Lion bone to replace the tiger bone commonly used. This was fried in black vinegar and then baked.

I hope this makes up for my total and complete blunder. I will also be sending out some freebies for the total cluter.

Henceforth let us keep all orders through my website and we can track them much easier.
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 07-19-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post

I have set up a 25% off coupon code for Faruq that is for life. I dropped the ball and the customer should not have to suffer. Just type in Faruq at checkout and you will see the 25% come off your entire order.

I added legally obtained and managed Moutain Lion bone to replace the tiger bone commonly used. This was fried in black vinegar and then baked.

I hope this makes up for my total and complete blunder. I will also be sending out some freebies for the total cluter.

Henceforth let us keep all orders through my website and we can track them much easier.
    Who had the problem ordering? I feel a little lost lol And no problem Faruq from one practitioner to another. I am open for any help you need.

Also I recommend wle's iron body dvd. Pretty helpful but that's just me.

As I am writing, I can think of two other questions –apologies if they sound trivial or naive.
    1- Having a Western perspective on sports and martial arts, I find it difficult to understand that you can train every day without damaging your body in the medium/long term. I recall several of my P.E. teachers mentioning that muscles and joints needed a rest of at least 24h between exercises. Although I am definitely not going too hard on my body, I would like to make sure that I am not heading for some pains/injuries leading to long term issues with my body (arthritis, etc.). The whole philosophy behind conditioning sort of contradicts my approach, and I would appreciate to get your views on it based on your experience and your knowledge.

It depends on the amount of volume you do.

Think about it like this. Assuming you can normally do 40 pushups, if you do only one pushup how much would that tax your body? Hardly at all, right? You'd be "recovered" in a few minutes.

Now what if you did 10 pushups? Or 20? You'd probably easily be able to do them again tomorrow right?

Now say you do 4 sets to failure. You'll probably be sore tomorrow and it would be a bad idea to train again.

Consider weight lifters. Typical bodybuilding style programs involve a lot of volume, multiple exercises for each muscle, a good number of sets, etc. With that kind of training you need to let the muscle recover before you train it again, and that's why in a typical bodybuilding routine, each muscle is trained once a week.

Now consider some other types of weight lifting programs. For example, some powerlifting routines involve heavy weights, but the volume is very low, and as such, you are able to train the same muscles 5 days a week (eventually you need to take some time off, however). Because the volume is so low, your body recovers quickly.

It will depend based on what your body is capable of. A lot for you may be a little for someone else.

Go by how you feel. If you're sore, don't train that muscle again until the soreness is gone. If you're tired even though you got a lot of sleep, that's your body telling you you might be overdoing it and could be a sign of overtraining.

2- You all made it clear that the key in proper conditioning lies in going for a progressive routine (number of reps, strength, etc.), not rushing things out, taking it slow. Therefore, I am wondering: whenever you cannot follow your routine for, say 1 week, how do you handle it? Do you just resume it as if you did not stop it, or do you go easy for a period?

Many thanks indeed.
    D.
    In most cases if you have to miss a week it won't hurt anything. Your body probably liked having the time to recover.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post

Thanks, Dale. If I actually receive the stuff I'll post a recommendation as I said before as soon as I do. This is definitely the Dale I'm used to from here on the forums.
    Last edited by Faruq; 07-23-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Thanks, Dale. As soon as I get the stuff I'll post a recommendation as I said. This is definitely the Dale I'm used to from here on the forums.
    Yep he's a good person to deal with.

For knuckle conditioning, hitting hard bag will be sufficient. Doing knuckle pushup is also good. But I have not done these for years. As for forearm conditioning, there are way exercises for it. Currently, I do dynamic tension exercise with or without rings. Surely, doing tiger techniques is highly recommended. If you want to advance further, you can do finger pushup. Years ago, I did so too. However, I recommend against doing the exercise with less than five fingers. And also, please do not do it more than three times per week. The reason is risk of injury.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Many thanks for your suggestions and advice.
    IronFist, about doing pushups every day, my fears came from the fact that in the past I used to do at least 60 every day and I remember that a huge pain developed into my elbows after 2 months. At some point, I just couldn’t do a single pushup without feeling pain and I had to give it a huge rest and medication (voltaren). However, I did not know dit da jow by then, so maybe I can go back to this intensity and use jow after each session on the forearm and elbow areas.

As you might have understood already, my biggest fears are not so much on the routine itself but on its “side effects” and possibly unintended consequences for my body. I am really in for a body conditioning routine but I would like to avoid harming my body in the long run (arthritis, osteoporosis, …).

Many thanks for your suggestions and advice.
    IronFist, about doing pushups every day, my fears came from the fact that in the past I used to do at least 60 every day and I remember that a huge pain developed into my elbows after 2 months.
    You were overdoing it maybe, or doing too much too soon, or maybe your form wasn't correct. It's entirely possible that 60 pushups a day is too much for you, especially if you were doing multiple sets to failure, etc.

How old are you, and how old were you then? Was your pain diagnosed as anything? Tendonitis?

If you're feeling pain (besides the normal muscle pain the day(s) after) it's time to stop and look at what you might be doing wrong.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I suppose I just overdid it. I started at 3 sets of 5reps and built up to 3 sets of 60 which was my point of no return (= failure). But I went from 3x5 to 3x60 in 2 months time, this might be the reason why I suffered so quickly. Added to that is the fact that I took no rest whatsoever (not any single day) and I did not apply jow.
    The perfect combination for disaster I guess.

Anyway, now you've all enlightened me and I am safe: I will take it slow, use some jow, and make use of a break whenever needed.