Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Advice on knuckle and forearm conditioning

You may lack stability in your shoulders, did you ever see a Chiropractor/physical therapist about it?

This painful episode dates back from 2 years ago, and it has actually been an opportunity for me to learn that patience is essential.
    As soon as I had fully recovered, I got back on track doing less pushups less frequently (every other day). I'm doing well, no pain whatsoever, and I am paying much attention to the form and I am not rushing the repetitions.
    Do you still think I should consult a physical therapist?

if you are getting old with health problems, you should abandon the fantasy of being a warrior.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by MadAx View Post
    I suppose I just overdid it. I started at 3 sets of 5reps and built up to 3 sets of 60 which was my point of no return (= failure). But I went from 3x5 to 3x60 in 2 months time, this might be the reason why I suffered so quickly. Added to that is the fact that I took no rest whatsoever (not any single day) and I did not apply jow.
    The perfect combination for disaster I guess.
    I don't think that not applying jow had anything to do with your injury.

You know, 3x60 pushups is pretty good. Most people cannot do that many. You probably just overdid it. If you ever get back to that level there's no reason to do it every day. If you're working out hard enough that you're going to failure, you shouldn't do it every day.

Describe the nature of your injury. Was it muscle? Tendon? Joint? Did it hurt when you bent your elbow or straightened your elbow? Did it hurt only under tension or did it hurt any time you bent/straightened your elbow? You said you got prescribed a painkiller for it; what did the doctor diagnose your problem as?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I actually did not see a doctor.
    A few days before, I already started feeling a pain in the elbow area, so I would take some Arnica montana pills regularly. And when I indeed felt this huge pain, I immediately applied Voltaren gel onto the forearms and elbows regularly throughout the day.

I guess it was related to joints and/or ligaments because I really had a huge pain onto my elbows every time I bent the arms or touched the area. I remember the pain was even greater onto the lateral side of the elbow, probably where the tendons are located.

Lesson taken. Also, I will actually see a physiotherapist to go for a full check-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    I let this order fall through the cracks and I apologize for this.

I totally dropped the ball and apologize.

I have been busy getting my clinic up and running.

I have set up a 25% off coupon code for Faruq that is for life. I dropped the ball and the customer should not have to suffer. Just type in Faruq at checkout and you will see the 25% come off your entire order.

I have also just filled the formula he was seeking.

I treated some of the herbs with vinegar and others with wine and fried them.

I added legally obtained and managed Moutain Lion bone to replace the tiger bone commonly used. This was fried in black vinegar and then baked.

I hope this makes up for my total and complete blunder. I will also be sending out some freebies for the total cluter.

Henceforth let us keep all orders through my website and we can track them much easier.
    I just received the herb, Bro! It's got to be like 5 pounds, wow! Thanks, Dale. And you didn't charge me a thing! We're square now, buddy. I didn't understand what happened before because it wasn't the professional humanitarian I knew from the forum, but the real Dale is back! Thanks again, big guy!

Brother,

The herbs will make up to 3 gallons of medicine that will be strong. FYI.

I always hook up kung fu brothers.

Thank you for the kind words.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Faruq you are lucky, getting that for free

I know. Dale's a good guy. He ends every post with "let me know how I can be of service" for Chrissakes! You had to know he was the goods!

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    You may lack stability in your shoulders, did you ever see a Chiropractor/physical therapist about it?
    I went to see a physical therapist for a full check-up. Everything's perfect except on the left forearm where I have a little lump. Probably a legacy from a tough sparring with my teacher last year. Long story short: practicing blocking positions, going harder and harder and at some point the middle section of my forearm swells up like hell. Put some ice, then used some painkillers and got away with it in two weeks.
    Actually one of the reasons why I decided to start conditioning my forearms and fists, train my body to withstand blows etc.

About that, I have another question: in addition to my routine, is it OK to spar with a tree occasionally?

So far three weeks of training, I'm taking it real easy and slow:
    - On conditiong, I am at minimum strength and reps: 50 punches with each arm, 30 knockings on each forearm with mug beans bag
    - On push ups, I do regular, knuckle (horizontal and vertical) and wrist. 15 of each type every other day.
    That's real easy and slow, I intend on gradually building up each month by adding reps and/or increasing strength and/or speed (for push-ups).

I went to see a physical therapist for a full check-up. Everything's perfect except on the left forearm where I have a little lump. Probably a legacy from a tough sparring with my teacher last year. Long story short: practicing blocking positions, going harder and harder and at some point the middle section of my forearm swells up like hell. Put some ice, then used some painkillers and got away with it in two weeks.
    Actually one of the reasons why I decided to start conditioning my forearms and fists, train my body to withstand blows etc.

About that, I have another question: in addition to my routine, is it OK to spar with a tree occasionally?

So far three weeks of training, I'm taking it real easy and slow:
    - On conditiong, I am at minimum strength and reps: 50 punches with each arm, 30 knockings on each forearm with mug beans bag
    - On push ups, I do regular, knuckle (horizontal and vertical) and wrist. 15 of each type every other day.
    That's real easy and slow, I intend on gradually building up each month by adding reps and/or increasing strength and/or speed (for push-ups).
    Sounds good and you've got some jow? I don't see why you can't tree spar. I hit the heavy bag whenever I do my arm workouts along with my iron training which I do everyday.

Sorry for the late reply, yes indeed I have some jow and apply twice a day. Thanks for your advice.

Talking about jow, I took up some wing chun classes. I am now used to minor bruises, but two days ago I got myself a swollen bruise on both arms. I’ve been applying some jow 4 times a day and massaging for 10 min.
    It’s getting better but that got me wondering: when rubbing/massaging, should we go easy or on the contrary put more pressure on the wounded area so that jow sinks deeper into the skin and facilitates further healing?
    Also, can I still continue with my conditioning routine, or would it slow down the healing? (I can hit the bag with no problem and I did a few push-ups, did not result in any pain but still, it’s better to double check…)

Thanks

There is no need to hurt yourself

Jow and massage do the job

I instruct to rub jow into the injured area and the rub as hard as you can without causing pain
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Sorry for the late reply, yes indeed I have some jow and apply twice a day. Thanks for your advice.

Talking about jow, I took up some wing chun classes. I am now used to minor bruises, but two days ago I got myself a swollen bruise on both arms. I’ve been applying some jow 4 times a day and massaging for 10 min.
    It’s getting better but that got me wondering: when rubbing/massaging, should we go easy or on the contrary put more pressure on the wounded area so that jow sinks deeper into the skin and facilitates further healing?
    Also, can I still continue with my conditioning routine, or would it slow down the healing? (I can hit the bag with no problem and I did a few push-ups, did not result in any pain but still, it’s better to double check…)

Thanks
    If you have a bruise you still can condition, try to avoid the bruise or go a little easier on it with the bag, easy enough that it doesn't hurt.

Steve Lee Swift taught us to rub it in as hard as we could stand it. But your tolerance increases as your body gets used to it, so you end up being able to rub it in real hard after a few years of training.