Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Advice on knuckle and forearm conditioning

If you were taught that that's fine too

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Steve Lee Swift taught us to rub it in as hard as we could stand it. But your tolerance increases as your body gets used to it, so you end up being able to rub it in real hard after a few years of training.
    That's how I always did it since I was a little kid.

My uncle had a family recipe, and my mom used it on my injuries.

I always thought it was weird to see people lighlty putting the medicine on like it was lotion.

Hey all,

Another quick question: after now 6 weeks of training, my knuckles start to stand out from the rest of the hand when folding/tightening the fist. It's nothing shocking, I suppose it's the effects of the conditioning, don't you think?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAx View Post
    Hey all,

Another quick question: after now 6 weeks of training, my knuckles start to stand out from the rest of the hand when folding/tightening the fist. It's nothing shocking, I suppose it's the effects of the conditioning, don't you think?

Thanks in advance.
    Or swelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Or swelling.
    It does not look like swelling, and it does not feel like swelling.
    I apply jow before and after the training, and I massage the hand for approx 15min (5min fingers & knuckles, 5 min palm, 5 min back), so I guess I am on the safe side here. Plus I have no pain. On the contrary, I have the feeling that the knuckles are way stronger already.

Post pics.

And save those pics so 6 months from now you can tell if there's a change.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Post pics.

And save those pics so 6 months from now you can tell if there's a change.
    Agreed I wanna see

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    Agreed I wanna see
    Good idea, indeed.
    You will find attached four pics in which the fist is tightened (that's when it is tightened that I get the feeling that knuckles stand out).
    Looking at the pics I already realise that some hair is gone haha.

Damien

Quote Originally Posted by MadAx View Post
    Good idea, indeed.
    You will find attached four pics in which the fist is tightened (that's when it is tightened that I get the feeling that knuckles stand out).
    Looking at the pics I already realise that some hair is gone haha.

Damien
    My hands look almost exactly the same lol I don't see anything to be worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    My hands look almost exactly the same lol I don't see anything to be worried about.
    This is a relief, haha ^^. Now that I look again at the pics, I guess I worried for nothing...
    See you in six months time, I'll post new pics.
    Good luck

Usually the hands get fatter and fleshier faster than the change in knuckle size. Also, as opposed to the karatekas who don't use jow, we, depending on the strength of the jow, often don't exhibit a large outward change in the bone. It's more a toughening and densifying of the skin, tendons, fascia and bones than the bones/knuckles getting big. If you want bigger knuckles then stop using the jow, but you'll run the risk of getting arthritis too then though.

Usually the hands get fatter and fleshier faster than the change in knuckle size. Also, as opposed to the karatekas who don't use jow, we, depending on the strength of the jow, often don't exhibit a large outward change in the bone. It's more a toughening and densifying of the skin, tendons, fascia and bones than the bones/knuckles getting big. If you want bigger knuckles then stop using the jow, but you'll run the risk of getting arthritis too then though.
    Exactly you'll get dam meat club hands lol. The hands do thicken as the skin becomes conditioned. You would have to have a huge change in the bones to create a very noticeable change.

Your hands look normal to me.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Your hands look normal to me.
    Yeah, don't notice a problem

Thank you all for your feedback, and sorry for the false alarm .

Reflecting on what you said, I understand that the hand will thicken way before there's any noticeable change in the bones/knuckles.
    But doesn't it come at the expense of flexibility? I mean, in the long run, doesn't it impair the ability to use the hand (grab things, fold hand, tighten fist, etc.) if the hand is fatter but the bones relatively unchanged?

I am very curious and I tend to ask lots of (naive) questions, please do let me know if that's getting too annoying.