Thread: Beginning a martial art in Providence, RI

Beginning a martial art in Providence, RI

Hello, I've been researching both available schools for martial arts in (or near) Providence, RI, and different forms of martial arts. I took some kenpo a while back (learned Americanized martial arts/karate isn't really for me), and now I want to start out again on a form of martial arts. My motivation is primarily self-defense, but I'm also motivated by training my endurance and strength. I am interested in internal martial arts. I found a school near my house that offers Xingyiquan, Baguazhang, T'ai chi, Shaolin Kung Fu, and Modern Wushu. The instructor is Master Wen-Ching Wu. I am considering taking Xingyiquan and/or Baguazhang when I get back to RI in September. The website for this school is: http://www.waydragon.com/

If anyone can give me advice/recommendations both on which martial art I should consider taking and why, and about the quality of this school (I'm not back home to go there personally). I've searched for a school that teaches Wing Chun near my area, but had no luck. Does anyone know of good schools in RI? Any help will be appreciated. Is it smart to take more than one class at a time? Say, if I took Xingyiquan and Baguazhang?

If I were you, I would forget about any of those. Useless at best. Find yourself a Wing Chun teacher and learn something that you can use. Even when you get old and feeble. I'm not kidding. Not trolling either. Just giving you the facts.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    If I were you, I would forget about any of those. Useless at best. Find yourself a Wing Chun teacher and learn something that you can use. Even when you get old and feeble. I'm not kidding. Not trolling either. Just giving you the facts.
    I wouldn't say that Xingyiquan/Baguazhang are useless... Why do you think that?

Call Bob Angell in Providence. I just did a seminar at his place last Sunday. His number is, 401-556-6285. He's been teaching Wing Chun for around 20 years.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Hello,

FWIW I do not view Bagua or Hsing Yi as useless.
    If done properly they are very effective and can be practiced well into old age.

Of the two, perhaps better to say of the three, internal arts Hsing Yi is the simplest and most direct. Like Wing Chun it is based on a few concepts which can be expounded to many options.

Perhaps the issue is more likely finding a good instructor than the arts effectiveness. Then again, I would hazard to say that is the case with Wing Chun as well.

Good luck in your search.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

I found out that someone I know personally in RI highly recommends this school that teaches Xingyiquan & Baguazhang. I'm definitely going to go there when I get back to RI in the Fall.