Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chiropractic Treatment length

Merryprankster Guest

Chiropractic Treatment length

I injured my back (again) recently, and after 13 years (yup you read that right) of daily low grade back pain, I finally decided to see a chiropracter.

First thing, the adjustments are magic. I find that I still posess the strained muscle pain from my back injury, but the nagging radiating stuff is completely gone. I was trying to figure out why I felt so wierd the other day and I realized that for the first time in 13 years I was completely without nagging lower back pain.

I am concerned about treatment length. At 35 dollars an adjustment, this is expensive stuff. Years of wrestling and discus and shot have pushed my back and neck out of alignment. The primary concern is what appears to be a degenerating disc at L5 (lumbar 5).

The doc is telling me that treatment will be 3 times a week. At 12 times per month, that is $420. I am in the military, and they told me they do not cover chiropractic care.

He thinks he can have everything corrected in 6 to 8 months. Will I be undergoing adjustment 3 times a week for this long? That's insane! Or do they start off with a 3 times per week course, and then ease up as things improve?

Anybody got any experience with this? I have some goals that my lower back is a part of, so if I have to, I'll find the $420 per month to do this, but just thinking about it hurts my pocketbook :)

omegapoint Guest

Ahhh!!!

Ask any Physician about Chiroquackters, and they'll tell you how dangerous and how much BS it is! If you want "manipulations" got to a D.O. instead of an M.D. (yes there are 2 types of Physicians or Medicine Doctors). Doctors of Osteopathy are licensed Physicians and they know Manipulation techniques. That's where Chiros' stole their get rich quick idea from, but they just took the Manipulation part. Imagine 3 years of Grad school devoted to massage therapy and alternative "medicine"! What a scam, and medicare covers it! Frikkin' idiots. Manipulation of the spine especially in the neck can cause strokes and other complications. There's documented proof and in Med School we learn to be careful with spinal manipulation. Just a heads up from someone in the know. Money, money, money.....

Merryprankster Guest
    On the other hand there are several thousand of them doing rather well and I have a lot of sports buddies that swear by them.

I dunno. All I know is that it works. This makes me happy.

SevenStar Guest
    My chiropractor is great. I was going three times a week at 40 bucks a pop. It's expensive, but in my oppinion, it was worth it. My right side is twisted slightly further forward than my left side, so my spine is slightly crooked. It doesn't affect my training much, but on occasion the pain is murder. I was involved in an accident 2 years ago that aggravated the pain immensely. After a few months of treatment, the pain was gone. he reccomends that I continue to go until my spine has re-aligned properly. Being the rebel that I am, I don't go, but I do go when the pain resurfaces. Also, there are some types of insurance that will cover chiropractic. Where I work, I have two different options for coverage, one of which covers chiropractic.

-ShortySeven©
    Step right up and get it -- whoever wants [defeat]

Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

Merryprankster Guest
    Seven,

Does he expect you to go 3 times a week until it's realigned, or less frequently once you're "close" to your goal?

old jong Guest
    Like in "normal" medecine there are some inherent risks to these treatments.A small percentage of patients suffer more than they gain in the hands of these practicians every years. A bad chiropractor could more easily cripple or kill you than many known fighters ;) Choose well!... :eek:
    (Of course it is a very small percentage!) ;)...I heard! ;)

Les paroles s'envolent.
    Les écrits restent!...

SevenStar Guest
    yeah, it's supposed to be three times a week to start and as improvement can be seen, it will lessen. Depending on the severity of course, this can take longer for some than others.

-ShortySeven©

SevenStar Guest
    my chiropractor requires that all patients watch an orientation video that explains what chiropractic is all about before they are actually seen he also takes x rays and does various other tests in order to help determine the nature/severity of the problem before he performs any adjustments.

-ShortySeven©

Merryprankster Guest
    Pretty much the same with mine. I'm still trying to decide if I like him. I like his partner very much. He seems to understand the "athlete mentality" more than the one I've been seeing. This guy doesn't seem to have really internalized that I'm going to go and do what I want/need to do to reach my athletic goals.

SevenStar Guest
    sounds like my chiropractor. he was a collegiate wrestler and also played football. At first I was hesitant to see him because of his name. I was thinking "what the hel1 kind of a chiroprator is named Rock?"

-ShortySeven©

Merryprankster Guest
    Of course, I am mostly annoyed that I can't train. I was having one of those little epiphanies and really starting to improve my game. This all screwed that up good :)

Hopefully he can get me back on track... for less than $420 a month over 6 month...

Watchman Guest

Chiropractic rocks!

I see a chiropractor three times a week myself, but as he's a student I get all my visits comped.:D

Merryprankster,

Oftentimes a chiropractor will start you out at the three times a week schedule, then scale it back to two times a week after about three months. I hope you're able to get healed up and back on track soon. I know it must be frustrating.

Sevenstar,

Your chiro sounds exactly like mine, only he also used to work as a bouncer in various Vegas night clubs back in the day.

He does the whole orientation and x-ray thing too. As a point of fact, because of this he has actually caught some potentially life threatening injuries in a couple of his patients that "regular" doctors completely missed.

One is weak because he makes preparations against others;
    he has strength because he makes others prepare against him.

-- Sun-Tzu

Merryprankster Guest
    I'm not that concerned about it. Once the muscle strain goes away, I will resume training AND stay with the chiropractic treatment. If they can't fix it while I am training, then I will find somebody who is willing to work with me so I can. I'm 25 now, and in all honesty, my truly competitive years will end in a decade. Sure, there are 35 year-old stand outs, but I am just a slightly above average athlete, not a great one. I've got some natural talent, but not enough to truly compete when I get that old.

SevenStar Guest
    "As a point of fact, because of this he has actually caught some potentially life threatening injuries in a couple of his patients that "regular" doctors completely missed."
    :eek: yikes.

-ShortySeven©

SevenStar Guest
    Merryprankster,

that's what I was doing. I was in class on mon wed and fri, and saw my chiro on tues thurs and fri (i made time to do it on friday because they are closed on the weekends)

-ShortySeven©