Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: What is qi?

What is qi?

What is it?

Simple explanations only please.

I think I know what it is but I would like to hear what other people think it is also. I will post my definition after a few replies.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    What is it?

I think I know what it is but I would like to hear what other people think it is also. I will post my definition after a few replies.
    The opposite of IQ

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    The opposite of IQ
    LOL Clever!
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

What is it?

Here is one for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcp6J...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    LOL Clever!
    Im on top of my game this morning!

Im on top of my game this morning!
    but in all seriousness in my opinion I feel that chi is the lay term for the interplay between bioelectromagnetics and biochemistry, that is inherent to all living organisms, that which modern medical science is aware of but can not explain. There have been some studies done that hypothesize that it may have to do with the ones mitochondria and their ability to produce ATP and then there are the studies have shown that it may have something to do with hemoglobin in the blood and how it interacts with other complex biochemical pathways. That being said there has not been a proper peer reviewed study published in any reputable medical journal looking into any of this. According to my Sifu "where there is blood flow there is chi flow. Where the mind (yi) is focuses so shall ones chi.' Just my two cents.
    Last edited by nasmedicine; 07-01-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

but in all seriousness in my opinion I feel that chi is the lay term for the interplay between bioelectromagnetics and biochemistry, that is inherent to all living organisms, that which modern medical science is aware of but can not explain. There have been some studies done that hypothesize that it may have to do with the ones mitochondria and their ability to produce ATP and then there are the studies have shown that it may have something to do with hemoglobin in the blood and how it interacts with other complex biochemical pathways. That being said there has not been a proper peer reviewed study published in any reputable medical journal looking into any of this. According to my Sifu "where there is blood flow there is chi flow. Where the mind (yi) is focuses so shall ones chi.' Just my two cents.
    Agree it is a physical process and that mind is important

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I don't have an hour and 18 minutes available. What is his theory?

Fair enough.
    Not my thing to be honest, but if someone can show me otherwise im all ears

What is it?

A form of microscopic matter, smaller than molecules but denser in itensity.

Kind regards,
    Xian

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    A form of microscopic matter, smaller than molecules but denser in itensity.

Kind regards,
    Xian
    You are going for a supernatural explanation, or claiming science that we do not yet understand? Why?

Fair enough.
    Not my thing to be honest, but if someone can show me otherwise im all ears
    Chi/Qi/Prana/Life Force...etc is not a fairy tale however through the media and other charlatans the labels have now become somewhat I'm obscured in their meaning. One has to remember that these terms/labels were invented during a time where modern day science didn't exist. it's not like they could have exactly called it bioelectronics or biochemistry. And even with all the science that we have we still really can't explain "it" yet we know "it" exists. what a lot of what people think is chi, is merely placebo.

Cheers,

-Nirav
    Last edited by nasmedicine; 07-01-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

Chi/Qi/Prana/Life Force...etc is not a fairy tale however through the media through and other charlatans the labels have now become somewhat I'm obscured in their meaning. One has to remember that these terms/labels were invented during a time where modern day science didn't exist. it's not like they could have exactly called it bioelectronics or biochemistry. And even with all the science that we have we still really can't explain "it" yet we know "it" exists. what a lot of what people think is chi, is merely placebo.

Cheers,

-Nirav
    I agree that it exists and that it has a normal physical basis that people didn't understand at the time when the idea was formulated. In this day an age though if we are talking about it we should be talking about the physical reality of whatever it is, shouldn't we?

I agree that it exists and that it has a normal physical basis that people didn't understand at the time when the idea was formulated. In this day an age though if we are talking about it we should be talking about the physical reality of whatever it is, shouldn't we?
    I absolutely agree with you we to should be talking about this as it pertains to physical reality, however that is where the problem begins. no one can agree on what the actual physical reality is because no one can prove it and therein lies the issue. The best that most internal martial artist can do is use examples or give an abstract explanation on how it works and what it is. This problem is not just specific to the explanation of chi, but many topics in science. For that reason I feel that many people will not even touch this topic.
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

Chi/Qi/Prana/Life Force...etc is not a fairy tale however through the media and other charlatans the labels have now become somewhat I'm obscured in their meaning. One has to remember that these terms/labels were invented during a time where modern day science didn't exist. it's not like they could have exactly called it bioelectronics or biochemistry. And even with all the science that we have we still really can't explain "it" yet we know "it" exists. what a lot of what people think is chi, is merely placebo.

Cheers,

-Nirav

Yes.

The presentation of the above video by the doctor is not about Qi but new age believe. One needs to define qi as the energy which makes tcm accupuncture and herbal work. Instead of getting into all kind of magic force, guidance..Fung shui ....fortunte telling....ect .
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-01-2012 at 04:25 PM.