Page 13 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: What is qi?

As interesting all this is to some extent, I am still waiting for guy b to give us his ideas about 'What is qi?'
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Here's what I put into the debate...

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    The 1st source of Qi is through your parents, sometime this is called 'Original Qi'. It is your natural ability to be human, your physical characteristics and habits etc.

Second source is your Environment. The surroundings you are in depict the level or quality of air you breathe, so this is sometimes called your 'Natural Qi'.

Thirdly we must consider your nutrition. Food and liquid intake, which I would call something like 'Nutritional Qi'.

Balancing these three things in your daily life will increase the Qi potential of your whole self. I think this is also very connected to TCM and why the normal complete subscription would include Accupuncture, Massage and Medicines.
    Any thoughts? Anyone?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    1. in the YKT, I catagoraized a Mind layer, in the mind layer there are only

Thinking, intention, aware, visualization , and all of these four function are power by Shen or I call present-ness.

That's all what is needed in Qigong development.

also, I address the fact that one needs to have the body loose, the mind quiet down, the breathing naturally deepen in order to let the Qi layer surface.

it is not that complicated if it is the same Zhen Qi we talked about in TCM accupuncture and herbals.

why not just grow it have it and one will know what it is.

2. so called New age thinking or cult trying to link qi to everything from fung shui to ET and God, it really getting things screw up big time, and to the worst is, it screws up the proccess of development and mislead those who really needs it for healing.

3, another issue is lots of people who has no experience or autherntic training even from China translate the subject with imagination and lost the facture and the real process.

4, then there is the Qi blast in martial art, it is extremely ridiculus.

5, then there is the western Doctor and scientis who keep talking and thinking and argueing what they want instead of just take it as what it is.

so, well, the world is a fun place like a mecca of everyone knows it all but almost none knows what the heck it is.

it is just a phenomenon of energy flow which will surface in human body when the body is loose, the mind is quiet down to have only singer thought, and breathing naturally deepen. what is the big deal? with all these philosophy, thinking, mid set, science, research....believe... spiritual..... all and goes no where.

BTW

so what is visualization for in the Qi development?
    it is like seeing the whole river at the same time.
    and Intention or Yi is like tracing a long the river a point at a time.

those are mind tools use in different development situation and conditions. it is not those OMM or visualize the ET flying down to give one an qi blast.....etc.

so what is aware ?
    Sensing and hold on the focus in the slightest effort.

So what about thinking?
    one needs to cut the thinking down to a singer thought or subject. it is a Qi de - surface element. one wants to switch off thinking and switch on awareness.

so what is shen?

that present-ness with its present one feel fresh , alert, and with ease.

that is all what one needs. no philosophy no believe is know how things functions. if you are human you can get the first feeling within 40 mins.
    This is about cultivation of qi. What do you think qi is?

As interesting all this is to some extent, I am still waiting for guy b to give us his ideas about 'What is qi?'
    I will give my opinion but I am disappointed by the lack of ideas from the people who usually like to talk the most about qi. Can we really talk sensibly about something we cannot define in material terms?

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    I will give my opinion but I am disappointed by the lack of ideas from the people who usually like to talk the most about qi. Can we really talk sensibly about something we cannot define in material terms?
    No, we can't.
    Period.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    No, we can't.
    Period.
    I agree, and this is why I believe that if you want to train qi you have to be brave and decide what it is, rather than hiding behind obscure language and hedging your bets, or making it so all encompassing that it could be anything or nothing at all.

It needs a physical definition.

Personally I think qi is awareness of and physical control over usually involuntary parts of the musculature, for example the deep postural muscles that stabilise the core and spine. This theory explains why standing postures are so central to qi development, why it feels the way it does (as we become aware of usually automatically controlled parts of the body), why it originates in the dantien, why yi leads qi, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post

Since this is a martial arts forum, please demonstrate how qigong allows one to surpass the physical abilities one may obtain by merely hard consistent training over time.

You cannot do so! No one is able to do so!

Those who has sickness such As who lost or weak in their physical ability can use qigong to gain back and improve their physical ability.

Hard consistent trainning which is non qigong cannot do that and will further damage the body.

I think qi is an interactive 'projected' kind of energy layer to our being. Totally connected and interdependant to the energy layer all around animate and inanimate life both. I believe qi partally exists outside our direct experience and is just part of the 'rental' of material our soul uses to interface this reality.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Personally I think qi is awareness of and physical control over usually involuntary parts of the musculature, for example the deep postural muscles that stabilise the core and spine.

This theory explains why standing postures are so central to qi development, why it feels the way it does (as we become aware of usually automatically controlled parts of the body), why it originates in the dantien, why yi leads qi, and so on.

Nope.
    Qi is certainly not awareness of physical control.

This theory doesn't describe qi. And qi can be developed in any posture.

Also qi doesn't need to originate in the dantien.

This is about cultivation of qi. What do you think qi is?
    Qi exist without I need to think.

Here's what I put into the debate...

Any thoughts? Anyone?
    This is, of course the traditional view.

A) We receive our genetics from our parents, which determines our basic physical constitution, intelligence and resistance to stress and disease.

B) Healthy food, air, water benefit everyone regardless of their general genetic make up.

C) Exercise and moderate, but not excessive, stress benefits everyone as well. A life of challenge stimulates the intellect. Learning how the mind functions and using it more efficiently assists all people in living longer, healthier and more enjoyable lives.

A mysterious, ancient philosophy/methodology is not necessary. Not that it isn't beneficial. Some people enjoy magical thinking, but that does not make it real.

Ultimately what is important is, do you enjoy the practice?

Qi exist without I need to think.
    Therein lies the problem, you don't think.

Qi is not like sunlight or water. These are objectively measurable. Qi is ineffable. Therefore saying it just is and expecting others to accept it based upon heresay and questionable evidence that may be explained using occam's razor is just foolish!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Therein lies the problem, you don't think.

Qi is not like sunlight or water. These are objectively measurable. Qi is ineffable. Therefore saying it just is and expecting others to accept it based upon heresay and questionable evidence that may be explained using occam's razor is just foolish!
    You love to comment on thing you don't know and don't have.

You love to comment on thing you don't know and don't have.
    I think you meant to say that YOU like to comment on things you know very little about. Your learning and understanding is shallow. It is perhaps not your own fault. You clearly have not been taught the deeper meanings. And herein lies the problem. You consider yourself learned about topics you only have an intermediate education and understanding of, and do not realize it. So, you continually fill the minds of beginners with inaccurate, or perhaps incomplete would be more accurate, information.