Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: What is qi?

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    Chi/Qi/Prana/Life Force...etc is not a fairy tale however through the media and other charlatans the labels have now become somewhat I'm obscured in their meaning. One has to remember that these terms/labels were invented during a time where modern day science didn't exist. it's not like they could have exactly called it bioelectronics or biochemistry. And even with all the science that we have we still really can't explain "it" yet we know "it" exists. what a lot of what people think is chi, is merely placebo.

Cheers,

-Nirav
    Saying it exists doesnt make it so.

Id suggest the reason that it was named/invented before western science is exactly that... we can now scientifically explain how the body works

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Yes.

The presentation of the above video by the doctor is not about but new age believe.
    yes this "new age thinking" that you mentioned many times before is one of the things I am talking about when I say placebo. And this is a problem mainly occurring to westerners unfortunately looking for answers from charlatans (Sifus /Guru's/Monks/ Alleged Spirutal Leaders who looking for easy prey.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

yes this "new age thinking" that you mentioned many times before is one of the things I am talking about when I say placebo. And this is a problem mainly occurring to westerners unfortunately looking for answers from charlatans (Sifus /Guru's/Monks/ Alleged Spirutal Leaders who looking for easy prey.

For scientic experiments,
    http://www.naturalhealingcenter.com/...e/jixingli.htm

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post

Id suggest the reason that it was named/invented before western science is exactly that... we can now scientifically explain how the body works
    you are correct, however how many things biologically speaking science has no ability to explain. Viruses for example are by definition not alive (unlike bacteria) however they can act as though they are and science is not able to explain why this phenomenon occurs so researchers just accept it and move forward to more important things like how to stop them. That however doesn't mean that we shouldn't still try to figure out but in the meantime we should focus on more pertinent issues. Another example, The human genome has been completely maped but will take at least 100 years for us to fully explore it even with 1000 supercomputers running 24/7.

And I really hope that nobody uses religion/god an example because that is a conversation that will go nowhere.
    Last edited by nasmedicine; 07-01-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

If you follow certain qi cultivation techniques you feel something. What are you feeling?

you are correct sangeet exists does it mean it really exist however how many things biologically speaking at sign says no ability to explain. Viruses for example are by definition not alive (unlike bacteria) however they can act as though they are and signs is not able to explain why does phenomenon of course so we just accept it and move forward. The human genome has been completely maped but will take at least 100 years for us to fully explore it even with 1000 supercomputers running 24/7.

And I really hope that nobody uses religion/god an example because that is a conversation that will go nowhere.
    Personally, i dont see the qi being anymore or any less viable than the existence of a God.
    And im an atheist.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    If you follow certain qi cultivation techniques you feel something. What are you feeling?
    Like?
    Give me an example?

I will say this, everything that applies to fighting can be explained using bio mechanics, physics, mathematics 100 percent without any doubt. Chi has nothing "directly" to do with fighting.Professional athletes do not do chi gong to accomplish what they do. However as we know a lot of the chi gong exercises do have some commonalities with other exercises that are done by athletes that involve cardio cardio vascular and pulmonary development (physiology doesn't change) . If an athlete or chi gong practitioner repeats there exercises and trains for a prolonged period of time they develop more robust collateral blood supply do whatever organs being perfused. Having said that according to chinese medicine the more blood flow to an organ, the more chi. the effect in the end of the same...more oxygen carrying capacity which means more endurance, which means better better immune system and faster recovery time/tissue healing. Very simple, very logical, very scientific. Same goes for yoga.
    Last edited by nasmedicine; 07-01-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    to be put in an overly simplified way, Blood Flow. With that, all the other sensations that people describe follow... the feeling of tingling, feeling of electricity, the feeling of heat, and euphoria.
    Last edited by nasmedicine; 07-01-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    thanks I will look into this when I have a chance.
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

I will say this, everything that applies to fighting can be explained using bio mechanics, physics, mathematics 100 percent without any doubt.
    Yes, id add will power and intelligence as well.

Chi has nothing "directly" to do with fighting.Professional athletes do not do chi gong to accomplish what they do.
    Correct

However as we know a lot of the chi gong exercises do have some commonalities with other exercises that I'm done by athletes that involve cardio cardio vascular and pulmonary development. If an athlete or chi gong practitioner repeats there exercises and trains for a prolonged period of time they develop more robust collateral blood supply do whatever organs being perfused. Having said that according to chinese medicine the more blood flow to an organ, the more chi. the effect in the end of the same...more oxygen carrying capacity which means more endurance, which means better better immune system and faster recovery time/tissue healing. Very simple, very logical, very scientific.
    Well if the definition of chi is increased blood flow and better level of fitness via exercise then i agree.

Same goes for yoga
    I did yoga heavily for 4 years or so and i can attest to its benefits.

Yes, id add will power and intelligence as well.

Correct

Well if the definition of chi is increased blood flow and better level of fitness via exercise then i agree.

I did yoga heavily for 4 years or so and i can attest to its benefits.
    I agree about the power and intelligence, especially the intelligence. However I would like to clarify that I do not feel that the movement of blood is the definition of chi but rather it's one of the ways thought to be responsible for its migration through out the body.
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

Like?
    Give me an example?
    Typically you feel warmth or flow or squeezing of bones/joints, or all three.

to be put in an overly simplified way, Blood Flow. With that, all the other sensations that people describe follow... the feeling of tingling, feeling of electricity, the feeling of heat, and euphoria.
    Blood flow may somewhat related to what you are feeling, but I do not believe it is what you are feeling.

I will say this, everything that applies to fighting can be explained using bio mechanics, physics, mathematics 100 percent without any doubt. Chi has nothing "directly" to do with fighting.Professional athletes do not do chi gong to accomplish what they do. However as we know a lot of the chi gong exercises do have some commonalities with other exercises that are done by athletes that involve cardio cardio vascular and pulmonary development (physiology doesn't change) . If an athlete or chi gong practitioner repeats there exercises and trains for a prolonged period of time they develop more robust collateral blood supply do whatever organs being perfused. Having said that according to chinese medicine the more blood flow to an organ, the more chi. the effect in the end of the same...more oxygen carrying capacity which means more endurance, which means better better immune system and faster recovery time/tissue healing. Very simple, very logical, very scientific. Same goes for yoga.
    Cultivation of qi can be relevant to any athletic endeavor and is quite applicable to fighting. I am struggling to see what most common qi cultivation exercises have to do with pulmonary or vascular development.