Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: What is qi?

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Blood flow may somewhat related to what you are feeling, but I do not believe it is what you are feeling.
    Agreed. The result is indirectly related to blood flow.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

I don't think Chi/Qi is a single thing, but as a way to explain a variety of observable phenomenon.

And a lot of such observable phenomenon cannot be fully explained by contempary scientific models, yet. But NOTHING escapes the laws of physics/nature/biology.

Like how we laugh at medical science of the 18th century, future generations will also laugh at how little we know today.

p.s. in Chinese, we even describe a well cooked stir fry as having "Wok Qi"
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Cultivation of qi can be relevant to any athletic endeavor and is quite applicable to fighting.
    Chi is not directly related to fighting however it can be in an indirect manner.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    I don't think Chi/Qi is a single thing, but as a way to explain a variety of observable phenomenon.

And a lot of such observable phenomenon cannot be fully explained by contempary scientific models, yet. But NOTHING escapes the laws of physics/nature/biology.

Like how we laugh at medical science of the 18th century, future generations will also laugh at how little we know today.

p.s. in Chinese, we even describe a well cooked stir fry as having "Wok Qi"
    Nice post, you are correct chi is not just one thing but rather an amalgamation of many things. However what those things are is an extremely debatable topic.
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    Chi is not directly related to fighting however it can be in an indirect manner.
    Qi cultivation is related to the improved functioning of the body if you believe it is a real thing. A better functioning body is better at fighting in general, so while cultivating qi does not make you a great fighter it is certainly a useful thing for a fighter to develop.

Qi cultivation is related to the improved functioning of the body if you believe it is a real thing. A better functioning body is better at fighting in general, so while cultivating qi does not make you a great fighter it is certainly a useful thing for a fighter to develop.
    Precisely, hence being indirectly related.
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

Precisely, hence being indirectly related.
    Just throwing a hyperthetical here:

A lot of very experienced acupuncturists would tell you that they locate acupincture points not by sight or touch, but by "sensing" where there is a dip in Chi flow;

And we have seen numerous (sometimes comical) demonstrations where the teacher moves a student (ALWAYS between an issuer and a complying receiver) with Chi without touching. I have NEVER seen such Chi empty force working on a non-complying subject.

But what if, although a "Chi blast" in my opinion can never move a person in a real fight, it is the receiver who is skilled in listening to the issuer's Chi/intention/telegraphing/bioelectric field etc.? Can a well developed ability to sense give a person to respond to an attack (or the intention of an attack) before it happens?

Have we all had experiences in everyday life that we manage to sense something is about to happen just before it happens?

Just a thought.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Just throwing a hyperthetical here:

A lot of very experienced acupuncturists would tell you that they locate acupincture points not by sight or touch, but by "sensing" where there is a dip in Chi flow;

And we have seen numerous (sometimes comical) demonstrations where the teacher moves a student (ALWAYS between an issuer and a complying receiver) with Chi without touching. I have NEVER seen such Chi empty force working on a non-complying subject.

But what if, although a "Chi blast" in my opinion can never move a person in a real fight, it is the receiver who is skilled in listening to the issuer's Chi/intention/telegraphing/bioelectric field etc.? Can a well developed ability to sense give a person to respond to an attack (or the intention of an attack) before it happens?

Have we all had experiences in everyday life that we manage to sense something is about to happen just before it happens?

Just a thought.
    Yes, or something similar, I use that all the time when working out. I think it is more of a sense of aim and ability of the other person to deliver.

Cheers

Qi cultivation allso directly related to fighting when the qi medirians handling becomes a part of power generation handling and momentum handling.

Visualization lead the qi medirians flow aids the Physical body motion and power generation.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-01-2012 at 07:21 PM.

... it is the receiver who is skilled in listening to the issuer's Chi/intention/telegraphing/bioelectric field etc.? Can a well developed ability to sense give a person to respond to an attack (or the intention of an attack) before it happens?
    Of course, but I do not like to mix chi with intention in the context of fighting. Instead I would say it was more like feeling ones Yi = thought/intention without the chi component (however yes they (Yi and Chi) are interconnected "where Yi goes, chi follows") . And I do agree that it is possible to reach that state you speak of. To be honest that is actually part of our systems poem and the basis of our chi sao/gor sao.
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

Of course, but I do not like to mix chi with intention in the context of fighting. Instead I would say it was more like feeling ones Yi = thought/intention without the chi component (however yes they (Yi and Chi) are interconnected "where Yi goes, chi follows") . And I do agree that it is possible to reach that state you speak of. To be honest that is actually part of our systems poem and the basis of our chi sao/gor sao.
    I agree with you, let's take qi as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Qi cultivation allso directly related to fighting when the qi medirians handling becomes a part of power generation handling and momentum handling.

Visualization lead the qi medirians flow aids the Physical body motion and power generation.
    If visualization = Yi, then we are on the same Page.
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

If visualization = Yi, then we are on the same Page.

Visualization is the full picture, yi is intention is a point shot.
    Running a point shot is Very focus but also narrow.

In fact, WCK biu jee is not ordinary external Style hard spear fingers, but ride on the qi medirians Flow. The big picture is visualization and only at contact the intention applied.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-01-2012 at 07:22 PM.

IMHO,
    in the old time, when one plays the dummy, it is called massage the dummy or mo Jong. The visualization is a continuous flow , only at the point of issue Jin, an intention is applied.

It is not strike and strike discontinuously as today.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Visualization is the full picture, yi is intention is a point shot.
    Running a point shot is Very focus but also narrow.
    Yes precisely, we are on the same page I just needed to understand your terminology. To be clear, If I can put it into your words/terminology : {visualization (thought, and proprioception involved)} -> {Yi (targeted intent)} -> {Chi ( summation of visualization and Yi;passively present along with Yi at point of intention}
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube