Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grados Wing Chun: Street Combat

Grados Wing Chun: Street Combat

Has anyone trained with Sifu Jose Grados or know anything about him?

You should contact his ex student Sean Obasi, otherwise you're better off going in person and seeing for yourself.

Cheers,

-Nirav
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    You should contact his ex student Sean Obasi, otherwise you're better off going in person and seeing for yourself.

Cheers,

-Nirav
    Dont ask Obasi unless you want the reasons not to go to Grados

In for drama.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRA View Post
    Has anyone trained with Sifu Jose Grados or know anything about him?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    No other comment. IMO he is NOT in the Ho/Fong lineage despite his web site. The term lineage is often used very very loosely.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Dont ask Obasi unless you want the reasons not to go to Grados
    You beat me to it Kevin...
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

In a nutshell-
    What did Obasi say?

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    In a nutshell-
    What did Obasi say?
    )("%¤!")=(¤!=¤)%¤?

thinks that pretty much sums it up

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    )("%¤!")=(¤!=¤)%¤?

thinks that pretty much sums it up
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Wow!

Besides Sean Obasi's negative comments does anyone have anything to say about him as a teacher? I'm looking to train in NYC. TWC with Master Redmond only trains once a week, which I would like to train more often.

Are you in the city? If so then just go and meet up with Grados and see for yourself. You'll know instantly whether you want to stay or not. That would be better than anything else anybody could say on this forum. Wouldn't you agree?
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by SunRA View Post
    Besides Sean Obasi's negative comments does anyone have anything to say about him as a teacher? I'm looking to train in NYC. TWC with Master Redmond only trains once a week, which I would like to train more often.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.wingchunnyc.com/

if Phil is not available.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    Are you in the city? If so then just go and meet up with Grados and see for yourself. You'll know instantly whether you want to stay or not. That would be better than anything else anybody could say on this forum. Wouldn't you agree?
    I'm new to wing chun so that's why I was asking. I really don't have anything to gauge him on. If Master Redmond taught more than once a week in NYC that would be awesome<hint, hint> LOL

I’m not sure of his background, but he can fight for real and I’ve seen many practitioners live only off the reputation of others; and at the same time can’t fight their way out of a wet paper bag with a slug hammer, only down by association but really hate the workout. Go visit them all and if they don’t run their mouths more than providing their skill level, but literally can shut you down (light/hard sparring) no matter what you do, then go with them if it's convenient for you to do so.

Stay away from the talk, talk, talk but train with someone that can really kick your but, and will have no problem showing you as well; always test your new/maybe sifu skill level, if he’s really good he shouldn’t have a problem with it. I’m not the best in the world, but I’ve spar with a room full of black belts (8) and dominated them all (one by one) and my school here in Kentucky really took off because of it. Had to; because I’d moved to a new location and didn’t want anyone to get it confused.

My recommendation is go see for yourself. From Sifu Grado's clips (and he has many out there) he looks like he has some skill and understanding in his art. He isn't afraid to put himself out there and I've heard he has no problem meeting up with people that want to touch hands and see what he can do (as Ali has it seems, with good outcome and review)

And I would take some of the comments here with a grain of salt. Some of them are going to be biased based on either jealousy, politics, gossip, etc
    Example:

---------------------------------------------------
    No other comment. IMO he is NOT in the Ho/Fong lineage despite his web site. The term lineage is often used very very loosely.
    In a nutshell-
    What did Obasi say?
    Wow!
    There's a saying, if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything, but I guess some people just can't help themselves. It's also laughable how it's clear people don't like him without knowing much about him, yet still look for the juicy gossip like a woman in a sewing circle..
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90