Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hakka Unicorn Kung Fu

The 2 characters does stand for Guest Family.

History used this term but refered this group as out siders.

At one time this group like many up northern lived in a housing type enviroment known as a hutong.

Up in norhtern china there are tourist who have interest in this type of culture take hu tong tours.

No sure which dynasty there was a hu tong that for some reason offended the goverment.

This group ran and start to live and hide in the mountains and always moving their settlement.

This the hakka idea.

This hakka people I dont means they are from the north.

I means to write they live in a clan like place just like the one movie Shaolin mantis, the tien clan.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    there r no such things as unicorns in Chinese mythology
    That's correct! They all live in my backyard.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    That's correct! They all live in my backyard.
    Dunno about that, I have a set of four that performs as the rainbow fart squad on a regular basis.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hakka and kung fu

From what I have seen most of the Hakka Kung Fu is similar. As far as words and names I tend to get very confused most of the time. I practice Southern Praying Mantis which partly is Hakka. When you get into the history it is almost like a Wuxia Novel.

In Jook Lum Tong Long Pai they celebrate with a Unicorn dance (similar to the lion but a different beast entirely). The man who taught me Chuka told me he was given the choice between learning the Lion Dance or the Unicorn dance. Here is a video of a jook lum unicorn:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHK9IopVevU

I also learned (years ago) a Lao Gar form that utilized “Unicorn Stepping”. Sometimes translations from Chinese to English especially the very specialized Kung Fu Chinese language, seem to be more like slang. When I lived in Singapore my Cantonese and Mandarin tutor caught on that I had learned what he called “Kung Fu talk".

Regardless I am no expert on the Chinese language, but when it comes to these names often they are a convenient word thrown in there to explain a concept. Does a Chinese Lion dance Lion look like a real lion? What the hell is a Fu Dog?

As far as Hakka Unicorn Kung Fu goes I have never heard of it. But there are a great many things I have not heard of LOL. One possible explanation is in the way schools often name themselves. It could be a Hakka basted school that uses Unicorn stepping or some other unicorn form that is actually a part of a system...

I hope this helps...

Hakka Unicorn Kung fu

Quote Originally Posted by mkim680 View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of this style? I was reading a little about it and it seems really similar to wing chun, bak mei, and souther mantis. Any practitioners in here want to shed some light and give some background on this style. I am really curious to see how it differs from the other mentioned southern styles.

thanks
    Yes , I learned the unicorn style , it contains 1 - chi kung set , and 1 - set for fighting , but the moves vary . The sifu who taught me this style is very fast and speedy , than me . It ' s interesting , how you found a book on the unicorn style . If you know a Ralph Shun , he pretty much know the unicorn style , it was brought to hawaii by a sifu named wong jook fut , who is deceased already , but he ' s the one that taught the unicorn style . The reason why it ' s called the unicorn style is because , the stances and footwork are characteristics of the unicorn style . Actually the stance and footwork is design to lock and trap the leg of the opponent as you close the gap on him . The right index and middle finger together blocks the left punch of the opponent , and just incase the right hand misses the left hand punch by the attacker , your left hand is in a cross pak sao type of move to the right . From there your left hand is in a eagle claw type of grabbing position , the right hand in a close fist type of position which can be used to scrape the opponents body or to strike down on the opponents back or can be changed into an uppercut . There is also a phoenix eyes fist strike to the groin area , a open hand block done with the right hand , and a low kick to the mid section area of the opponent . And the last move is a right open hand block which begins from the right side eye level and the movement slashes down the right side area of the right waist area . When ending move is when your body shifts to the left side with your left hand in a wu sao type of hand movement lik ein wing chun .

You can PM me if you want to know more .

Hakka unicorn kung fu

Does anybody know if it's still being taught in the U.S.? If so who? Any videos? Not much info out there.

where was it being taught and by who?

I don't know if it's Hakka or not, but I've come across this guy in my web travels before.

http://chi-lin.net/what%20is%20Chi%20Lin.htm

A Master Decker, that used to teach Chi Lin, (Unicorn) Kung Fu. I believe some of his students still teach.

I noted that in his early days he referred to his art as "Kempo." This is often indicative that the core is not Chinese material, but I am unfamiliar with him, his style or students, so I couldn't say.
    Last edited by Kellen Bassette; 03-25-2013 at 05:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

I don't believe this is the same system. I heard it was from Hawaii and the man who brought it there was Wong jut fatt. Other then him there is very little info and appears to be a closed system still. I know there are some old threads on this forum but those that had some knowledge haven't responded to my inquiries. I was hoping there might be video or knowledge of current teachers.

Yeah, there's a lot of different styles out there with the same name...it can be tough finding anything out about the obscure systems...good luck with your search!
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I don't know if it's Hakka or not, but I've come across this guy in my web travels before.

http://chi-lin.net/what%20is%20Chi%20Lin.htm

A Master Decker, that used to teach Chi Lin, (Unicorn) Kung Fu. I believe some of his students still teach.

I noted that in his early days he referred to his art as "Kempo." This is often indicative that the core is not Chinese material, but I am unfamiliar with him, his style or students, so I couldn't say.
    That is most certainly not what the OP was looking for. I will just leave it at that.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    That is most certainly not what the OP was looking for. I will just leave it at that.
    Sorry I was unfamiliar with the system and just remembered having seen this style of the same name. Thought it may be helpful. No intent to offend any system or lineage.

Funny you should mention this

We just ran an article on Hakka Kei Luen (Kejia Qilin). See Qilin: Kung Fu's Other Martial Dance By Williy Pang (March/April 2013).

See? It pays to subscribe.

See also our thread on the topic: Chi Lin
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I would have thought some old members might want to add their input. Maybe they are not here anymore.