Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching/teaching is the death of your personal skills

i get what ur saying tho mang
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Why doesn't anyone understand that the onus of proof is on the person who makes the claim?

Kung fu logic:
    - dude makes a claim about qigong or whatever
    - 50 year old skeptic woman questions him
    - dude challenges woman to post her real name and fight him. If she cannot defeat him in a fight she is obviously wrong and he is obviously right

Real logic
    - dude makes a claim about qigong or whatever
    - 50 year old skeptic woman questions him
    - dude making the claim provides the proof, for example, by using his skill against trained fighters of a similar size, not by challenging the 50 year old woman

This reminds of schoolyard bullies who are like "I'm right because I'm bigger than you"

That actually explains a lot about why TCMA is the way it is, though

But really, would beating up a 50 year old woman impress people? Do you think people would accept that as proof of your skills? Actually, don't answer that, because sadly I think a lot of morons might.

Logic is the enemy of charlatans and snakeoil salesmen so they will attempt to use social agreement to win over the masses (for example, like what you see at timeshare sales pitches), or by saying things like "some people will never believe anything." That's actually false; we'll believe it when we see conclusive proof.

Otherwise, it's like saying you invented a bullet proof vest and it stops bullets, but you've only demoed it against Nerf guns. But it really does stop bullets and anyone who doesn't believe you is just a fool hiding behind the internet and a coward

Nevermind the fact that all you have to do is show that it can stop a bullet from a real gun. That's it. Piece of cake if it really works.

How did you know I was a 50 year old sexy woman? What give it away.

You make a good argument. People here will tear it apart though stating that Dale never said he could use his iron palm/body in a fight. The only issue with that rebuttal is that he never stated he cannot fight. His tone is always that he can use his magic on a resisting opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    How did you know I was a 50 year old sexy woman? What give it away.

You make a good argument. People here will tear it apart though stating that Dale never said he could use his iron palm/body in a fight. The only issue with that rebuttal is that he never stated he cannot fight. His tone is always that he can use his magic on a resisting opponent.
    who said anything about sexy?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I think you give Dave way too much credit. lol

He was trying to generate business for his club mostly and did so through often diminishing others with an all too often acerbic and acidic character. Intentionally or unintentionally, he is definitely not the voice of inspired change.

You ain't gonna open any eyes with Dave's attitude. Too much vinegar.
    I agree he seem to have good knowledge particularly in regards to the historical aspect of martial arts but good god was he a gigantic wanker who was full of himself. and the latter behavior often clouded over his good posts.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    I agree he seem to have good knowledge particularly in regards to the historical aspect of martial arts but good god was he a gigantic wanker who was full of himself. and the latter behavior often clouded over his good posts.
    We don't use the word wanker enough on this forum. I like it, it's like bringing back the word wuss or wussy.

i agree wanker is a great word. you frakin wanker

Internet "lawyers"

I'm quite sure this wil be received poorly, but what the hell, I had a few minutes between sessions.

Iron fist is right. (I know, who knew I would agree with him?)

Problem is.. it's never enough. No matter what you do, someone is always left unsatisfied and wanting more.

In the 70's, I fought and won full contact events in Asia. My weight class spanned 154 to 184 lbs. I was near the bottom. Most of my opponents were older and near the top. I still won. But see, that doesn't count because there is no VIDEO.

In the 80's, I trained teams to compete in the Kuoshu in Taiwan. We produced 12 champions in '81 and '82. But when the internet was born in the 90's, people still said that Xingyi could not be used for competitive fighting. I said, but what about those twelve champions in the early 80's? They said; well, that was then.

So in the 90's, we re-entered the kuoshu. I trained and produced 25 champions from '94 to 2000. They called it an anomaly (and still do).

If you beat someone and post the vid, they say "he wasn't good enough" or "he was outclassed" or "you didn't really go all that hard" or any number of other statements.

So I figure that it is never enough. I think Dale figures much the same thing. So he invites, not challenges, invites people to come and see for themselves.

I do much the same. And have always been accused of "challenging" when I invite.

The internet is a funny place. It allows people to have a voice on issues that, prior to the internet, they would have never had a voice at all. They are not on the net so much to learn and/or discuss. They have other agendas.

When you are public, like Dale, you are an easy target for those who hide behind the mask. I think Dale, like me, sometimes simply gets tired of the masked sniping.

My teacher, when I was young and still full of fire, told me one afternoon; "You must practice big stomach, endure. You try fix everybody, you be very busy boy, never accomplish anything." He's right. And I do try to exercise that. But at times, it's really very hard to ignore such blatant ignorance.

I empathize with Dale.
    One of these days the world is going to become so politically correct that it will scare itself out of existence.

MP 2007

David Jamieson,

Would you please curtail the "spade" talk? You're pushing buttons, man. You're really pushing buttons!!!!

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Actually, Dave left when he realized that all he had been doing was a huge waste of time.
    That trying to open the eyes of TCMA that WANT to keep them closed is pointless and that, to him, the purpose of this forum had been lost.
    mighty david ross (peace be upon him) is too badass for this forum

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    mighty david ross (peace be upon him) is too badass for this forum
    He is too bad...at kung foo...not badasss at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    LOL. That video has been posted about 150 times on the Underground. You didn't 'remind' him of anything.

You mad?
    So post it then if it is not a big deal.

I have nothing to hide about my past here. I am the guy who scared Dave Ross away from the board by reminding him that there was a video of his one San da fight still out there somewhere.
    no
    Dave left on his own, it was subsequent to an interaction w an idiot other than urself albeit one making similar noises; u had nothing to do with it;
    also, Dave has never tried to hide from the existence of the video; he has always been very direct about both how he got taken out that day (part of the reason being was that he was a last minute substitute for the guy who was supposed to fight, and had not been training - of course, dumb idea to get into the ring under those circumstances, but that's what happened); in fact, has remarked on numerous occasions that, in general, he was a "B fighter at best"; he doesn't promote himself as a fighter, because he has no evidence to support that; he promotes himself as a coach, because he has a respectable number of successful fighters that he has trained;
    while I am the first to agree that Dave is acerbic, confrontational and abrasive, u can't say he hasn't been forthright about his background and capacity; he also never hid behind an anonymous screen name, which says something IMPO

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    He was trying to generate business for his club
    no
    Dave never got nor actually ever really tried to get any business from here; the vast majority of business Dave gets is so far removed from the population of this forum u can't imagine; the majority (>90%) of his business is NY'ers looking for an intense and interesting workout (read: people with jobs and $ to spend); for Dave to invest any time here for the purposes of finding clients is ludicrous;

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Actually, Dave left when he realized that all he had been doing was a huge waste of time.
    yes
    and his latest blog post might give u sum idea of why that is the case:
    http://nysanda.blog.com/2012/07/06/w...ung-fu-anyway/
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 07-06-2012 at 09:20 PM.

So post it then if it is not a big deal.
    why? we all know what happens - Dave gets KO'd pretty much from the get go;

just because u lost ur copy and now don't have anything to wank off to now, why shud MK have to go find one for u?

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    why? we all know what happens - Dave gets KO'd pretty much from the get go;

just because u lost ur copy and now don't have anything to wank off to now, why shud MK have to go find one for u?
    It is pretty embarrassing that Chan Tai Sans star student trained and fought like the people Dave Ross makes fun of. Flowery forms and getting knocked out in the ring describes modern day kung foo as well as Kung foo back then.

That video is an embarrassment to your whole lineage. Good thing he trained with the so called "killer of Japanese soldiers". His old rants are proof positive that his time in tcma was a waste but he keeps the facade up to make himself seem more legit. "I am not just some fat guy with a high squeaky voice who does not know anything outside of forms!". That, the truth, would sound horrible.

This sounds better. "I trained with the greatest tcmaist ever who killed Japanese soldiers and I was his senior student".

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    rwilson, if you open your mouth and insult mighty david ross again (peace be upon him) it is a direct insult to me.

and i do not take insults lightly.

*rubs testicles
    You forgot to add the word 'cracker'...two demirits.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost