Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching/teaching is the death of your personal skills

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    It is pretty embarrassing that Chan Tai Sans star student trained and fought like the people Dave Ross makes fun of. Flowery forms and getting knocked out in the ring describes modern day kung foo as well as Kung foo back then.

That video is an embarrassment to your whole lineage. Good thing he trained with the so called "killer of Japanese soldiers". His old rants are proof positive that his time in tcma was a waste but he keeps the facade up to make himself seem more legit. "I am not just some fat guy with a high squeaky voice who does not know anything outside of forms!". That, the truth, would sound horrible.

This sounds better. "I trained with the greatest tcmaist ever who killed Japanese soldiers and I was his senior student".
    u really need to get up to date: that video was close to 20 yrs ago, and u r acting like it's some sort of recent revelation that Dave is trying to sweep under the rug; Dave will b the first to admit that back then his whole perspective was skewed, and that is why he went outside of TCMA to further his training; his old rants are just what they are - old; you may not like his personality, that's fine, he irritated the heck out of most of us at one point or another; but u keep trying to set up this straw man where he is trying to cover up something or other, when in fact, he's pretty direct about both his accomplishments and his failings; so what do you want? why do you even care at this point? get over it already...

it's amazing - people jump on him when he "abandons" his roots and they jump on him when gives credit to them; I think you guys just need him to be a certain way, but inconveniently for you, he doesn't really fit the mold you want; again, what is your point here? you don't like Dave? fine, you don't like him; you take issue w what he argues? great, provide a reasoned counter-argument (fat and high-pitched voice don't really cut it in that regard)

again, what is it that you want?

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    u really need to get up to date: that video was close to 20 yrs ago, and u r acting like it's some sort of recent revelation that Dave is trying to sweep under the rug; Dave will b the first to admit that back then his whole perspective was skewed, and that is why he went outside of TCMA to further his training; his old rants are just what they are - old; you may not like his personality, that's fine, he irritated the heck out of most of us at one point or another; but u keep trying to set up this straw man where he is trying to cover up something or other, when in fact, he's pretty direct about both his accomplishments and his failings; so what do you want? why do you even care at this point? get over it already...

it's amazing - people jump on him when he "abandons" his roots and they jump on him when gives credit to them; I think you guys just need him to be a certain way, but inconveniently for you, he doesn't really fit the mold you want; again, what is your point here? you don't like Dave? fine, you don't like him; you take issue w what he argues? great, provide a reasoned counter-argument (fat and high-pitched voice don't really cut it in that regard)

again, what is it that you want?
    Whay annoys me about him is that he makes fun of tcma who've I agree with 100%. He is right. But then he babbles on and on about what Chan Tai San had in terms of skill/knowledge over most other tcma teachers. He talks about how amazon he was. But then you see the video of Sifu Chan, the great combatant, demoing form like every other tcma larger accept he was "deadly" while in China.

You cannot have it both ways. Either tcma is gsrbage including all the flowery forms you guys learned or it is not. You cannot denigrate tcma, then talk about how great Sifu chan was as a fighter/teacher, and then have ONE fight where you get knocked out in 3 seconds.

Most of the fighters at Dave's gym do not get trained by him. They get trained by real coaches and use his space. He does not tell anyone that either.

Greetings,

I have never seen the video. Where can I find it?

mickey

Mike Patterson came back on these boards right after Dave posted videos of his fighters in the kuoshu. Initially Dave was making fun of the videos saying that they were not doing anything special from regular kickboxers. Then Mike came on and Dave went into buttkiss mode and stopped making fun of the videos. "Shifu Patterson, I am so glad you are here. Can I wash your feet for you?". What a larper. Form fairies(Dave) are as bad as qi huggers. Yes, why doesn't someone post the video of this famed match? So what if it happened 20 years ago? Dave freely posts that "death match" between chan hok fu and that tai chi guy. If he can make fun of that video from so long ago(it is on his blog) then we should be able to see his video as a comparison.

Mike, I am not making fun of your kuoshu videos so you can relax.

Most of the fighters at Dave's gym do not get trained by him. They get trained by real coaches and use his space. He does not tell anyone that either.
    Awww snaps.

Mike Patterson came back on these boards right after Dave posted videos of his fighters in the kuoshu. Initially Dave was making fun of the videos saying that they were not doing anything special from regular kickboxers. Then Mike came on and Dave went into buttkiss mode and stopped making fun of the videos. "Shifu Patterson, I am so glad you are here. Can I wash your feet for you?". What a larper. Form fairies(Dave) are as bad as qi huggers. Yes, why doesn't someone post the video of this famed match? So what if it happened 20 years ago? Dave freely posts that "death match" between chan hok fu and that tai chi guy. If he can make fun of that video from so long ago(it is on his blog) then we should be able to see his video as a comparison.

Mike, I am not making fun of your kuoshu videos so you can relax.
    I've noticed a lot of people butt kiss Mike Patterson on this forum.

I've never seen the video in question. From the discussion it sounds like:

- Dave was at some event and was asked to fill in for a fighter who wasn't able to compete
    - Dave wasn't currently training for a fight so he was probably out-conditioned by the opponent
    - Dave agreed to fight
    - Dave got KO'ed in 3 seconds

Is that right?

Was it an MMA event? Did Dave fight with TCMA and lose?

I don't understand why people would make fun of that unless Dave started making tons of excuses or saying he was too deadly for the ring afterwards or something.
    "If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

Quote Originally Posted by I Hate Ashida Kim View Post
    Awww snaps.

mike patterson can suck on my nuts.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

yes
    and his latest blog post might give u sum idea of why that is the case:
    http://nysanda.blog.com/2012/07/06/w...ung-fu-anyway/
    Honestly I think this rant is getting stale. Its nothing we haven't heard before. Times have changed in the last five years from what I've noticed. If we are strictly speaking video proof (the ultimate internet evidence) there is a good deal of solid cma in the ring now days. From Sanda to mma. Its only going to grow from here on out.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Honestly I think this rant is getting stale.
    You'd think.

----

This rant is like a protestant walking into a Catholic Church and calling all the parishioners stupid.

The end of the rant

Here's a perfectly good solution for y'all. Rather than trying to turn TCMA into MMA, just join a MMA gym.

An answer to Dave's blog about no video of TCMA in action. Now watch everyone post about how that's not TCMA, or the big wrestler isn't shooting or whatever other hogwash they need to maintain their fantasies about how TCMA is soooo inferior to everything else.
    Last edited by MightyB; 07-07-2012 at 09:44 AM.

So...

Chuck Norris.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by I Hate Ashida Kim View Post
    Awww snaps.

It's called respect Grasshopper...not enough people on the internets know what that is. Maybe you'll meet Sifu Patterson one day and judge for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    mike patterson can suck on my nuts.
    I've had your nuts, frankly their shriveled like Raisinettes and a bit on the salty side.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Sweet, I am a northern Shaolin guy.... I'll have to get those.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    So...

Chuck Norris.
    and...

step!

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    It's called respect Grasshopper...not enough people on the internets know what that is. Maybe you'll meet Sifu Patterson one day and judge for yourself.

I've had your nuts, frankly their shriveled like Raisinettes and a bit on the salty side.
    Hahaha we sell those at my work!! Chili Cheese are the best. Frankly they're just like Corn Nuts, no difference.
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

and...

step!
    I gotta find that video again, thanks for reminding me.

step!!