Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Coaching/teaching is the death of your personal skills

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    How coaching/teaching can cause your personal MA skills to suffer.
    You may spend too much time teaching and not enough time to land your fist on your opponent's face.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You may spend too much time teaching and not enough time to land your fist on your opponent's face.
    Quoted for truth!

It's okay only went off topic for about 10 years. I understand Dales frustration but critics will be critics, we're all Kung Fu bruddahs so let's act like family. Anyway I think coaching can be the death of your skill or a whole new beginning it all depends on what you make of it.

In the Marine Corps, when you lead physical training, you have to do everything they do. That way you can't push them harder than you can go (which really does save lives), and they can see that it is possible to keep going.

As a Martial arts instructor you can work yourself into any drill or exercise and do it along with your students. And if you don't find what they are doing is beneficial to you, then you are doing them a disservice.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    In the Marine Corps, when you lead physical training, you have to do everything they do. That way you can't push them harder than you can go (which really does save lives), and they can see that it is possible to keep going.

As a Martial arts instructor you can work yourself into any drill or exercise and do it along with your students. And if you don't find what they are doing is beneficial to you, then you are doing them a disservice.
    Agree. This is a good and easy to implement method of quality control. I've never had a problem getting a workout while teaching when I wanted one.

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post

I know of some fat, out of shape senseis who might disagree with your logic

I would never actually voice this concern to them, however, seeing as how they are too deadly to spar with their students, too.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Is it always competition?

You guys don't think you're some sort of society protectors who must keep their skills honed at all times in case of the complete breakdown in society where they are going to call upon you and your ability to box or something?

I bet there are maybe 2 guys on this whole forum that make money from fighting, if that. Ok, maybe one. Wait, maybe none. OK, I'll go one. But there are a few who run schools etc and they make their living that way.

Most people who run schools etc, do it because they love the the arts and have found a way to tie their daily bread and butter to their passion.

I train for the sake of it. It has zero value without me giving it value. The same as how most of you don't practice piano, because you don't value it, or whatever.

When older, you should teach. Impart your skills, give them to others until you and they are gone.

Wrapping it all around competitive fighting is... well it's stupid. That is not the total scope of martial arts. Never has been. You need to compete at a point in your life. That point being when you can and when you want to. It's like advocating that your kid joins the army to get some character even though you never joined the army yourself. Nonsense.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

too funny. this place seems like its a rubber room filled with society's kung fu "i wish i was" wannabe's but can't really make it in martial arts.

take your meds everyone and you may get let out of those straight jackets soon.
    Last edited by Snipsky; 07-23-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

You guys don't think you're some sort of society protectors who must keep their skills honed at all times in case of the complete breakdown in society where they are going to call upon you and your ability to box or something?

I bet there are maybe 2 guys on this whole forum that make money from fighting, if that. Ok, maybe one. Wait, maybe none. OK, I'll go one. But there are a few who run schools etc and they make their living that way.

Most people who run schools etc, do it because they love the the arts and have found a way to tie their daily bread and butter to their passion.

I train for the sake of it. It has zero value without me giving it value. The same as how most of you don't practice piano, because you don't value it, or whatever.

When older, you should teach. Impart your skills, give them to others until you and they are gone.

Wrapping it all around competitive fighting is... well it's stupid. That is not the total scope of martial arts. Never has been. You need to compete at a point in your life. That point being when you can and when you want to. It's like advocating that your kid joins the army to get some character even though you never joined the army yourself. Nonsense.
    Good post.
    Although I will say that whether to teach or not isn't really that important for every practitioner. I discovered after teaching my own group for 4 years that while I'm quite good at that aspect, I never felt right being a teacher. I feel much more comfortable (and happy) as an independent practitoner. There's plenty of others who do want to teach.

True, just because you are proficient and understand something with depth doesn't compel you to teach it. That should be a choice. That choice should be backed up by actual ability to teach as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Well said DJ, and I'm not sure where it says your instructor has to be a badass or in superior shape to instruct you??? Is it in the kung fu manual somewhere? Hell I've have solid instruction from females...who have no actual fighting experience (that I knew of), probably some males for that matter too...its really all about Transmission of knowledge, the ability to communicate, to challenge and to adapt to students skill levels and learning styles.

If you want to keep your skills honed, participate...spar, lead by example...which usually always gains the respect of those you teach. Most likely if you've chosen to be an instructor, you're either past your prime or are too smart to get into fights on a regular basis.

Martial insecurity always seems to amuse me...is the art or the practitioner?
    Last edited by Hebrew Hammer; 07-23-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post

Martial insecurity always seems to amuse me...is the art or the practitioner?
    I enjoy it as well at times. It is not the arts, it is the practitioners. It's always the practitioners.

The art is the jug, the water in the jug is the practitioner. The water can be of good quality or bad, the jug holds both.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I enjoy it as well at times. It is not the arts, it is the practitioners. It's always the practitioners.

The art is the jug, the water in the jug is the practitioner. The water can be of good quality or bad, the jug holds both.
    Mongo like jugs.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost