Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching/teaching is the death of your personal skills

People may not like Dale's attitude or approach but the man doesn't hide anything, his door is always open and if you approach him in a friendly manner, that is what you get in return.
    Dale says what he means and means what he says.
    People ask for proof that TCMA work and Dale replies with, "if you are even in the area, come by and I will show you".
    How is that a bad thing ?
    Sheesh guys, it's DALE, its not like he's some psycho that no one knows and we don;'t even know what he looks like, Gene and others have met the man, he posts everything about himself.
    Not sure what your problems are, really and I am beginning to thing that maybe Dale is right and you all are a bunch of ***** women with sand in their vagina.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    The request was for good TCMA in action. We should address something here. I love Judo almost as much as TCMA - but I would be hard pressed to show "Judo" in fighting even though it's accepted as a combat sport.

Maybe half of you will understand this concept and understand why I chose a clip of a respected Tai Chi stylist using his Tai Chi to throw a big uncooperative opponent around.
    uncooperative opponent, really, did you see him looking to pummel, to establish superior position, to level change, arm drag, collar tie..anything at all other than grab the arms and push in a bit?

demos are just that, just demos yes he looked good, can he do it against an opponent resisting him and attacking him back? i dont know probably but would be nice to see him against someone fighting back yes?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    People may not like Dale's attitude or approach but the man doesn't hide anything, his door is always open and if you approach him in a friendly manner, that is what you get in return.
    Dale says what he means and means what he says.
    People ask for proof that TCMA work and Dale replies with, "if you are even in the area, come by and I will show you".
    How is that a bad thing ?
    Sheesh guys, it's DALE, its not like he's some psycho that no one knows and we don;'t even know what he looks like, Gene and others have met the man, he posts everything about himself.
    Not sure what your problems are, really and I am beginning to thing that maybe Dale is right and you all are a bunch of ***** women with sand in their vagina.
    I'd drink a beer with the guy. Here's to you Dale -

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    uncooperative opponent, really, did you see him looking to pummel, to establish superior position, to level change, arm drag, collar tie..anything at all other than grab the arms and push in a bit?

demos are just that, just demos yes he looked good, can he do it against an opponent resisting him and attacking him back? i dont know probably but would be nice to see him against someone fighting back yes?
    It is what it is - what about TKD? What about Sambo? What about wrestling? What about Shuai Jiao?

The point is that they all have something of value and with the exception of Sambo - none of them look like what you see in a MMA ring.

It is what it is - what about TKD? What about Sambo? What about wrestling? What about Shuai Jiao?

The point is that they all have something of value and with the exception of Sambo - none of them look like what you see in a MMA ring.
    i can say hey neil adams is a great judo fighter, here is a clip of him demoing an arm bar, but i can also say here is a clip of him winning a judo comp, is it fighting no, but within context its him competing in his discipline so we can say he is good in that art.
    What you posted was not a competition it was a semi compliant demo, show the guy in a pushing hands comp and ill say hey he has grappling skills, but i still wont say he is a proven fighter because he is not fighting nor has he produced any full contact fighters

plenty of judo guys have gone into MMA and used their skills, i can show for example jimmy wallhead in judo competition, he was a former british under 19 and european junior judo champ, and i can then show him in MMA pro fights and grappling comps, his judo is clear to see in his take down defence and throws

Pac man anyone?

the one on the left is better looking, but her vagine must be very wide like a cave.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Was RWilson claiming that he is an awesome fighter?

He doesn't have to prove anything if he hasn't made any claims.

Disregard this if I missed the post where he said he was an awesome fighter.
    You got a bloody nose from a 15 year old. STFU.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    i can say hey neil adams is a great judo fighter, here is a clip of him demoing an arm bar, but i can also say here is a clip of him winning a judo comp, is it fighting no, but within context its him competing in his discipline so we can say he is good in that art.
    What you posted was not a competition it was a semi compliant demo, show the guy in a pushing hands comp and ill say hey he has grappling skills, but i still wont say he is a proven fighter because he is not fighting nor has he produced any full contact fighters

plenty of judo guys have gone into MMA and used their skills, i can show for example jimmy wallhead in judo competition, he was a former british under 19 and european junior judo champ, and i can then show him in MMA pro fights and grappling comps, his judo is clear to see in his take down defence and throws
    Basically we're agreeing - and there was a video of Chen Village push wrestling that looked pretty much like a shuai Jiao competition but it's since been buried in search engine h3ll.

My point is that the MMA deferred argument doesn't hold merit in the context of this forum. Is TCMA useful? Yes. Are there clips of TCMA in action? Yes.

We could go on to a philosophical debate just on Judo and MMA. People like to say it's used in MMA, I like to say aspects of Judo are used in MMA... same as aspects of BJJ or aspects of Thai Boxing etc. Look at Karo - that's hayastan grappling more than it's Judo. Anyway - Judo as how it's taught... depends on how and what is Judo - we could talk about the Gi or no gi, and look at cranks and crushes and then debate the newaza and strikes and go on to what is and isn't judo and this could last for days with both sides of the argument having merit. But in the end - can you say it's a pure form of Judo?

Then why do we hold TCMA to such a higher standard than other martial arts? Why does it have to be the answer to everything? It doesn't and isn't. It's good and answers a lot of questions and is useful in many circumstances that an average everyday person will face. And it's developing a combat sport side.

The request was for good TCMA in action. We should address something here. I love Judo almost as much as TCMA - but I would be hard pressed to show "Judo" in fighting even though it's accepted as a combat sport.
    There are sh1t tons of Judo examples in MMA. Ronda Rousey, for example.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Pac man anyone?
    I'd like to chomp on that ghost.

Basically we're agreeing - and there was a video of Chen Village push wrestling that looked pretty much like a shuai Jiao competition but it's since been buried in search engine h3ll.

My point is that the MMA deferred argument doesn't hold merit in the context of this forum. Is TCMA useful? Yes. Are there clips of TCMA in action? Yes.

We could go on to a philosophical debate just on Judo and MMA. People like to say it's used in MMA, I like to say aspects of Judo are used in MMA... same as aspects of BJJ or aspects of Thai Boxing etc. Look at Karo - that's hayastan grappling more than it's Judo. Anyway - Judo as how it's taught... depends on how and what is Judo - we could talk about the Gi or no gi, and look at cranks and crushes and then debate the newaza and strikes and go on to what is and isn't judo and this could last for days with both sides of the argument having merit. But in the end - can you say it's a pure form of Judo?

Then why do we hold TCMA to such a higher standard than other martial arts? Why does it have to be the answer to everything? It doesn't and isn't. It's good and answers a lot of questions and is useful in many circumstances that an average everyday person will face. And it's developing a combat sport side.
    Nah, not higher standard, same one really.
    Just be nice to see MORE TCMA actually fighting and here is an example of a demo of Uechi-ryu and its a demo that shows everything about uechi-ryu AND even has freestyle fighting ( not full contact mind you, but free style never the less):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WClie...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    There are sh1t tons of Judo examples in MMA. Ronda Rousey, for example.
    No there really isn't. This is how I can defend my position. I can teach a person with no MA experience everything they need to be a black belt in Judo. I can even teach them how to win in Judo competition and have them compete on the mat regularly.

If I were to take them into a MMA ring with only the above Judo only experience... they may do OK - but my hunch is they'd get slaughtered if they were to face a person who only practiced MMA and competed in the same amount of events as the Judoka (the Judoka only doing Judo events and the MMA person only doing MMA events).

Nah, not higher standard, same one really.
    Just be nice to see MORE TCMA actually fighting and here is an example of a demo of Uechi-ryu and its a demo that shows everything about uechi-ryu AND even has freestyle fighting ( not full contact mind you, but free style never the less):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WClie...eature=related
    I agree completely.

IMO I think that there's going to a progression towards the real in TCMA. Just look at the arguments on this forum and we're a lot of nobodys in the TCMA universe. But if we're having these conversations, then there's bound to be a lot of TCMA people out there having them too. I hate to use the "at one time" bit, but there's got to be a reason for the existence of TCMA - so there had to be great martial value. I don't like to say it's being rediscovered as much as it's being re-emphasized because the practitioners are questioning the martial value.

I agree completely.

IMO I think that there's going to a progression towards the real in TCMA. Just look at the arguments on this forum and we're a lot of nobodys in the TCMA universe. But if we're having these conversations, then there's bound to be a lot of TCMA people out there having them too. I hate to use the "at one time" bit, but there's got to be a reason for the existence of TCMA - so there had to be great martial value. I don't like to say it's being rediscovered as much as it's being re-emphasized because the practitioners are questioning the martial value.
    I think there may be a very hard transition for many and that is because while everyone THINKS they fight, when they actually DO start, it is a rude awakening.
    Not the getting hit mind you, that's the easy part to overcome.
    Its the realization that the hard work you put in has NOT equipped you to fight with your MA vs an opponent that wants to take your head off and skull hump you.
    And its the realization that to unlock the key to making your TCMA ( or any MA) work "for real" involved actually fighting MORE than anything else.