Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching/teaching is the death of your personal skills

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Such a whiner.

And yeah, they are pretty ignorant.

Shut up and train, whiner. Bawang would have kicked the ever-loving **** out of you if you were learning from him.
    Only Drake's army experience counts apparently. Put one more notch on the belt of super Drake. He is the modern day Rambo accept he has his
    meals prepared for him. What a grown up, non- whiner.

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    I do not teach anymore. I have stepped away from the world of tcma. Iron palm is considered advanced training. Hand conditioning is basic. Iron palm is supposed to be something different from hand conditioning or they woild just call it hand conditioning. So what if you can break a coconut? You cannot do to someone that is actually moving.

you should watch sanjuro ronins vid of phoenix eye hook punch on heavy bag. take one of those to the neck and tell me there isnt a speciality to it...

you basically admit you dont really know anything about 'iron palm' types of training, and then dismiss it. if i want to dismiss something as non practical, i do my homework first.

can you do with out it? of course. if you have it, does it make a difference? fug ya it does.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Rwilson,
    You seem to be under a few misconceptions about certain TCMA practices and as such, I think that best thing is to experience them for yourself.
    If you can't or unwilling to for whatever reason BUT are open to understanding the correct principles behind them, then we can discuss them of course.
    I don't think it's fair to right things off without knowing them.
    Iron palm is, at its core, nothing more than a the progressive increase for bone density via continuous low impact trauma to the hand ( Wolfs Law as it applied to impact).
    It is also a lot more than JUST that, the way it is done allows the correct effects WITHOUT any negative side effects commonly associated with such things.
    Most people that do IP do it because they have found that it works and they know this via direct experimentation.
    It does NOT make a better fighter or a better MA or anything like that, just like being more flexible doesn't make you a better fighter or having more endurance or being stronger.
    Being a better fighter makes you a better fighter.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I know the difference when I hit or get hit by classmates who are in the iron skills training. They can take and give with less damage to themselves, just another aspect of training in our system.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

is that you getting smacked in the ribs taichi?

To make a point clear before someone brings up the obvious about that pic of "Iron body":
    The static part of the training ( Standing there and getting hit) is ONE part of iron body work, the novice part, one then progresses to getting hit WHILE hitting ( under controlled circumstances) and eventually to full contact sparring.
    How far a student goes is up to them.
    Last edited by sanjuro_ronin; 07-05-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Rwilson,
    You seem to be under a few misconceptions about certain TCMA practices and as such, I think that best thing is to experience them for yourself.
    his position is not rare. it feels very bad to be humiliated by passive aggressive people in martial arts. bullshido has hundreds of people with similar experience as him.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    his position is not rare. it feels very bad to be humiliated by passive aggressive people in martial arts. bullshido has hundreds of people with similar experience as him.
    That's fine and understandable.
    But if one is truly seeking to understand and to know, then it's ok to point our our views AND listen to others and truly experience something before writing it off.

maybe hes still terribly in love with the images that deceived him in the first place, the mister miyagi/kwan chang fantasy, and that makes him bitter.

maybe hes angry that there is nothing he can do to avenge his humiliation by the passive aggresive martial artists. since they dont fight. what can you do to them?

whatever the reason, hes not being overly offensive, i think its good to have different opinions on internet discussions.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

the greatest people ive ever met (in anything in life) have always had an open minded attitude, and the drive to discover for themselves how things are the way they are.

life is very big. so big in fact none of us can experience it all, not even a fraction of it. we all have to leave things to the side to persue our goals and desires, but if you do leave it to the side, its also proper to acknowledge that its something you have chosen not to discover. talking from a point of ignorance, whilst assuming you speak from a point of experience is only detrimental to our own develpment.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    the greatest people ive ever met (in anything in life) have always had an open minded attitude, and the drive to discover for themselves how things are the way they are.

life is very big. so big in fact none of us can experience it all, not even a fraction of it. we all have to leave things to the side to persue our goals and desires, but if you do leave it to the side, its also proper to acknowledge that its something you have chosen not to discover. talking from a point of ignorance, whilst assuming you speak from a point of experience is only detrimental to our own develpment.
    Truth.

To address the OP: Teaching teaches a lot. It develops the eye, and also clarifies things--there are lots of movements I've learned to do, but never really learned to break down until I tried teaching them. Explaining something to someone else is very helpful for clarifying in our own mind. Also teaching involves a lot of demonstrating, which helps with form. Also helps learn to read people. My school has enough classes (and enough teachers) that you can teach without giving up much training time. Finally, if you want to find training time while you teach, it's not so hard--just set a good example for each exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I'm the greatest person I know and I'm always right!

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    whatever the reason, hes not being overly offensive, i think its good to have different opinions on internet discussions.
    I agree, I am all for "question and test everything", I mean, why on earth WOULDN'T you?
    But I am wondering if he IS questioning AND testing or just questioning...

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I'm the greatest person I know and I'm always right!
    same here!!!!!!!!

we all also know that what the OP mentions in regards to teaching for his sifu is not an overly uncommon experienc...it blows and all you can do is either confront the situation or leave.