Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chen Taiji 38

Chen Taiji 38

A friend of mine wants to teach me the Chen 38 ( Since I have no patience for the 108 I guess, LOL !).
    Thoughts?
    Maybe I should start with the 19 ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    A friend of mine wants to teach me the Chen 38 ( Since I have no patience for the 108 I guess, LOL !).
    Thoughts?
    Maybe I should start with the 19 ?
    It's 18...and for me that's enough for now and has been for a few years already. Definitely good to learn some though. Learn some of the silk reeling too.

the 76 long form is divided into four parts. the sequence is pretty important because one move sets up the next. why dont you ask your friend to teach you the first section?

the first section is pound mortar, salute (tie coat), seal and close, single whip, pound mortar. beginners can repeat this in four directions, called "four gates boxing"
    Last edited by bawang; 07-05-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the 76 long form is divided into four parts. the sequence is pretty important because one move sets up the next. why dont you ask your friend to teach you the first section?

the first section is pound mortar, salute (tie coat), seal and close, single whip, pound mortar. beginners can repeat this in four directions, called "four gates boxing"
    38 looks long enough !
    LOL !

It's 18...and for me that's enough for now and has been for a few years already. Definitely good to learn some though. Learn some of the silk reeling too.
    Thanks, 18, LOL !
    I already picked up the silk reeling years ago but I was curious for a form to even out my "hard" stuff.
    Sure I can always do the Iron wire in a "soft way" like some do, but I though a taiji form would be nice to know too.

38 looks long enough !
    LOL !
    no man, just 5 moves. (i said 76 because chen style doesnt have 108)

i will send you speshul secrit video

no man, just 5 moves. (i said 76 because chen style doesnt have 108)

i will send you speshul secrit video
    Cool and I though Chen did have a 108 form, the old chen...no?
    Chen 19
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qNPs...eature=related

38 looks long enough !
    LOL !

Thanks, 18, LOL !
    I already picked up the silk reeling years ago but I was curious for a form to even out my "hard" stuff.
    Sure I can always do the Iron wire in a "soft way" like some do, but I though a taiji form would be nice to know too.
    I think it's great compliment to other MA. Practicing taiji makes all your other skills better ('course like anything else, it's largely about the teacher). Still only want it to be a small part of my practice, at least for the next 20 years or so.

There are very few standardized Chen forms since there is no real body overseeing it unlike the Yang style. So, you see lots of variations in the number counts of moves in the Chen forms. About the only standardized Chen form is the competition 56 move form which uh...takes a little bit to complete

Thanks, 18, LOL !
    hellos, i found video of random guy on internet doing chen tai chi. i no know who it is. but he looks the very seksy with the big muskles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiZU8LllOH8

its the beginning section of the long form, your friend can show ou exact details. it should be easy for you to learn. four techniques, four directions.

hellos, i found video of random guy on internet doing chen tai chi. i no know who it is. but he looks the very seksy with the big muskles.

its the beginning section of the long form, your friend can show ou exact details. it should be easy for you to learn. four techniques, four directions.
    Good work dude.
    Thanks for the info.

"His needs were few, his room was bare..."

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    "His needs were few, his room was bare..."
    And he still hasn't unpacked!

Blog Entries
    I have condensed the 108 moves long Taiji form into 48 moves. There are a lot of redundent that you can take out.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I have condensed the 108 moves long Taiji form into 48 moves. There are a lot of redundent that you can take out.
    why bother? if u r practicing the form from a Taoist alchemical cultivation perspective, you shouldn't do that, because the sequence, including the redundancies, are important; OTOH, if u r practicing just the moves as such from a combat application perspective, then I think that it makes more sense just to take them individually, and train them like line-basics (before going to partnered practice, of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    And he still hasn't unpacked!
    well, I mean, can u blame him?