Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Grandmaster Chen Xiaowang

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Frequently funny, often outright hilarious and occasionally posts some very insightful things…….i love this guy (in a manly way)!
    thanks man

we wrestle together with no cloth ok
    Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    also, look at 3:30 - the way they do "Monkey Retreats" is clearly a sweep, similar to an "o soto gari" type maneuver
    yeah man the wu family adds wrestling to every single move lol

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

WHich makes me think that, since the WU family added grappling, that the Taiji they learned was more striking oriented.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I merged a bunch of Chen Xiaowang threads together

And I'll add this link (if I haven't previously): He graced our 1997 December/January cover.

Fighting spirit
    Updated: 2013-03-28 10:16
    By Deng Zhangyu ( China Daily)

Chen Xiaowang, a 19th-generation inheritor of Chen-style tai chi, leads his disciples in Beijing. Cui Meng / China Daily

A tai chi master has struggled to promote the martial art overseas and has won more than 300,000 disciples in 40 countries. Deng Zhangyu reports.

Many foreigners believed Chen Xiaowang was insane. Some even stopped to ask if he needed help when they saw him practicing tai chi in airports decades ago.

"Many people overseas aren't familiar with the martial art," Chen explains.

"Some foreigners even thought tai chi was a Chinese cuisine."

Chen has traveled the globe, teaching and promoting tai chi, since the 1990s, when he became one of his homeland's greatest champions. He has earned more than 300,000 disciples in 40 countries.

Chen's fighting style was developed by his family 19 generations ago. It was popularized in China in the early 20th century by his grandfather, Chen Fake.

"My energy is limited," he says.

"So, I instruct my apprentices and help them spread Chen-style tai chi around the world."

His disciples have opened tai chi studios in 120 German cities and towns. Chen's oldest disciple is a 103-year-old American.

Chen innovated upon his family's traditional tai chi by developing a simplified version for mass consumption, called the "nine-posture Chen-style".

The family's martial art style was developed by his ancestor Chen Wangting in Henan province's Chenjiagou village. Nearly everyone can do tai chi in the settlement, where Chen was born in 1945.

His father required him to study the martial art from age 7. Chen would try to nap after school, but his father would make him get up to do tai chi.

Chen became enamored with tai chi after watching his father defeat a much stronger challenger.

He studied under his uncle Chen Zhaokui at age 10 after his father passed away.

He has remained committed, even in the hardest times.

"People had nothing to eat during the early 1960s," he recalls.

"We devoured tree bark and grassroots. But I kept practicing tai chi."

Chen faced a choice in the 1970s - make money at a stable job or struggle with an uncertain future while performing tai chi.

Many people then had spent years mastering the martial art but never found fame or fortune. Some even fell ill because they pushed themselves too hard.

"I told myself to not worry about the results," Chen recalls.

He made a rule that, no matter what happened, he'd do his routine at least 20 times a day.

Chen practiced so intensively that his toes swelled. But he kept doing his routines while trying to keep his toes off the ground.

He took a day job as a wholesaler and often had to spend days on trains. If this prevented him from doing his 20 routines, he would compensate for them the following day, he explains.

Chen Xiaowang, a 19th-generation inheritor of Chen-style tai chi. [Photo by Cui Meng/China Daily]

Chen's victories in competitions in the 1980s earned him a spot on Henan's sports commission. His 350 yuan ($56) monthly salary was much higher than the 30-yuan average.

"I kept practicing," he recalls.

"Even though I couldn't remove my socks from my swollen feet or turn over in bed, I felt happy."

He has since shifted "from quantity to quality", he says.

Chen has appeared in kung fu films and became a leader of Henan's sports commission.

His first international foray was a 1990 visit to Sydney. Few Australians knew about tai chi then, he says.

Chen continues annual consultations to tai chi studios around the world, including China.

Chen Daoyong, who has practiced tai chi for a decade and opened a tai chi gym in Beijing, says: "Chen Xiaowang is brilliant at tai chi. He seems invincible."

Every March, Chen Xiaowang brings disciples to his hometown and stages a ceremony to honor his ancestors.

Niu Lina, who started learning tai chi from Chen in 2006, says: "Chen is admirable as a moral man and tai chi master."

Under his guidance, she opened her own tai chi studio in Henan's provincial capital Zhengzhou.

Contact the writer at dengzhangyu@chinadaily.com.cn.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I've been wondering when Xu might cross this line...

China orders Xu Xiaodong to publicly apologise and pay damages for insulting tai chi ‘grandmaster’ Chen Xiaowang
    Chinese court rules outspoken MMA fighter has to pay ‘world-renowned’ Chen Xiaowang around 400,000 yuan
    ‘Mad Dog’ also has to say sorry to Chen for seven consecutive days on Chinese social media
    Nicolas Atkin
    Published: 2:47pm, 24 May, 2019

Xu Xiaodong (left) will publicly apologise to Chen Xiaowang (right) and pay him damages. Photo: Tom Wang/chenxiaowang.com

Outspoken MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong has been ordered by the Chinese courts to pay hundreds of thousands of yuan in damages and publicly apologise on social media for insulting a tai chi “grandmaster”.
    Chen Xiaowang bills himself on his own website as the “19th generation lineage holder of Chen family taijiquan” and “one of the few holders of the highest rank of 9th Duan Wei conferred by the Chinese Wushu Association”.
    These accolades have been bestowed on him “not only for his high level of achievements in tai chi, but also for the impact of his substantial worldwide contributions in introducing, promoting and developing Chen style taijiquan”.
    That didn’t stop Xu from calling Chen a fraud a couple of years ago – but it seems he was playing with fire.

Chen is a board member of the Henan Institute of Sport and has the backing of the powerful Chinese Wushu Association, which has not taken kindly to Xu’s mission to expose “fake kung fu” by pulverising traditional martial artists who he believes are swindling the public.
    The 41-year-old was sued for defamation and now a court document translated by YouTube channel Fight Commentary Breakdowns shows that Xu has to pay Chen around 400,000 yuan.

The court document detailing Xu Xiaodong’s punishments. Photo: Fight Commentary Breakdowns

“Mad Dog” must also apologise to Chen for seven consecutive days on Chinese social media platform NetEase.
    The court document also shows some other punishments handed out to Xu, who now has a D-level social credit score in China.

That means he can’t ride in second class or above on planes or sleeper trains, nor ride high-speed trains – which is why it took him 36 hours to travel to his latest bout in Karamay, Xinjiang, where he brutalised a wing chun “master” in less than a minute.

Chen Xiaowang is a ‘grandmaster’ in taijiquan. Photo: chenxiaowang.com

Xu is also barred from staying at certain hotels and golf courses, and has restrictions relating to buying or renting property and taking other modes of transport.
    Xu doesn’t have children but if he did, there would be education restrictions placed on them too.
    It seems like a costly mistake for Xu to have criticised Chen, who bills himself as a “direct descendant” of the creator of taijiquan, Cheng Wangting, and the grandson of Chen Fa’ke who was “renowned as the greatest taijiquan master at the beginning of the 20th century”.

Chen says he received “rigorous training” in Chen family taijiquan theory, forms, weapons, push hands and free sparring from his father and uncles.
    He also boasts of winning three consecutive gold medals at the National Taijiquan Competition from 1980 to 1982, and in 1985 he became world champion for China at the First International Martial Arts Competition in Xi’an. He says he has since been champion in taijiquan more than 20 times.
    Chen’s accolades don’t stop there. He has also apparently choreographed and directed martial arts films and written books and essays on taijiquan which “have been translated into many languages and published worldwide”, and left China in 1990 “on a mission to promote taijiquan to the world”.

He apparently also travels each year a distance “equivalent to twice the circumference of the earth” promoting and teaching taijiquan in Europe, North America, South America and Asia.
    “Chen’s big heartedness, his outstanding taijiquan skills, and his personal characteristics make him highly respected around the world,” his own website says.
    “He is truly the most outstanding Chen family taijiquan master of his generation and a world-renowned martial artist.”
    Interesting that this news article puts 'grandmaster' in quotes for Chen Xiaowang.

THREAD
    Xu Xiaodong Challenges to Kung Fu
    Grandmaster Chen Xiaowang
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    Glad to see my thread from 2001 at the top of the Tai Chi forum.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Interesting that this news article puts 'grandmaster' in quotes for Chen Xiaowang.

THREAD

Counter suit

Let's see how Oz reacts.

Xu Xiaodong wants to countersue tai chi ‘grandmaster’ in Australian court by pursuing citizenship
    ‘Mad Dog’ is looking for someone to sponsor him to become an Australian citizen so he can bring a case there against Chen Xiaowang
    The outspoken MMA fighter had to pay nearly US$40,000 in damages and publicly apologise to Chen for accusing him of being a fraud
    SCMP Reporter
    Published: 6:29pm, 23 Jun, 2019

Xu Xiaodong (left) had to publicly apologise to tai chi ‘grandmaster’ Chen Xiaowang (right) and pay him damages. Photos: Tom Wang/Twitter

Xu Xiaodong has said he intends to countersue the tai chi “grandmaster” Chen Xiaowang, who won a Chinese court case that forced him to pay damages last month.
    The outspoken Chinese MMA fighter had claimed in a rant on social media earlier this week that he intends to move to Australia because “everyone is leaving China”. Chen relocated to Australia in 1990 having been born in Chenjiagou in 1945.
    But he revealed there are further reasons behind his plan. “I want to acquire Australian citizenship, if I can find someone to sponsor and help me with that,” Xu told SCMP’s Inkstone over WeChat, China’s WhatsApp-like mega app.
    “Chen’s tai chi is not real kung fu, it’s more for show. I think he’s promoting fraudulent information in China, so I want to acquire Australian citizenship so I can bring a court case against him in Australia.”
    Chen brought the original case against Xu in a Beijing court for accusing him of faking a win against another fighter in a televised match.
    Xu was ordered to pay a US$6,700 fine and to make a public apology, which he refused to do. That led to him being banned from flying, taking high-speed trains and booking hotels, among other restrictions, as part of punishments under China’s social credit system.

He eventually apologised, and the restrictions have been lifted, but he said he ended up paying around US$37,250 after legal fees and the cost of paying for a public apology to be placed.
    Xu’s plans to move to Australia amid increasing censorship being placed on him in China. He said he wore a Spartan helmet in his online live stream where he announced his plans to leave China because he wanted to cover his face to evade online censorship.
    He said his social media accounts get shut down more frequently if he doesn’t cover his face. He also had to wear face paint and use a demeaning nickname – “Winter Melon” – in order to have his last fight live-streamed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    Glad to see my thread from 2001 at the top of the Tai Chi forum.
    Good on you Fu-Pow!

THREAD
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips