Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grandmaster Chen Xiaowang

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I'm confused...I am enjoying...but why are you of all people posting demos with a compliant partner?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    I'm confused...I am enjoying...but why are you of all people posting demos with a compliant partner?
    Hey, I have no problems with instructionals with compliant partners, how else does one teach?
    Demos tend to be complaint also because they are demos ( unless they are demos of fighting).
    Besides, It was what GM Chen was saying more than what he was doing.
    Do I think that GM Chen can fight?
    I have no idea since I have never seen him fight or even show any fighting ability.
    Does he know his Taiji? Yes. Does he know his fajing? seems like it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I'd also love to train with Chen Bing...his Tai Chi is always impressive to me.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    I'd also love to train with Chen Bing...his Tai Chi is always impressive to me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhcz4KZeDxk

Blog Entries
    If CXW is asked to teach a group of CIA agencies, FBI agencies, sercet service agencies for 6 months, what kind of course will he teach?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If CXW is asked to teach a group of CIA agencies, FBI agencies, sercet service agencies for 6 months, what kind of course will he teach?
    hopefully better than a lot of the crap that has been taught to military / LE - I have an old friend who is long time judo BB, he's an LtC working at the Pentagon now, but went through Ranger training years ago - he said most HTH stuff he had seen taught over the years was just enough to get people killed...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Hey, I have no problems with instructionals with compliant partners, how else does one teach?
    Demos tend to be complaint also because they are demos ( unless they are demos of fighting).
    Besides, It was what GM Chen was saying more than what he was doing.
    Do I think that GM Chen can fight?
    I have no idea since I have never seen him fight or even show any fighting ability.
    Does he know his Taiji? Yes. Does he know his fajing? seems like it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have seen him put down a non compliant spontaneous attacker.
    Also in Hamburg some years ago- he chen elbowed an attacker in the chest-
    who had to be hospitalized. Since then he has been extremely careful about
    obtaining legal waivers from participants. He knows his fajing imo- not just "Seems like it".
    Chen fajing distinguishes chen taiji from other taichi.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have seen him put down a non compliant spontaneous attacker.
    Also in Hamburg some years ago- he chen elbowed an attacker in the chest-
    who had to be hospitalized. Since then he has been extremely careful about
    obtaining legal waivers from participants. He knows his fajing imo- not just "Seems like it".
    Chen fajing distinguishes chen taiji from other taichi.
    I've learned NOT to make comments on things beyond what they are.
    I have never seen him fight or do fajing VS an opponent so I can only go on what I see in his demos, hence the "Seem".
    To say otherwise would be stating something I do NOT know.
    Anecotal stuff is interesting, but that is really all that it ends up being (unless one knows personally and then that is a different story of course).

Speaking of Chen Bing

"if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Guy has some brutal power in his takedowns.
    Last edited by goju; 07-07-2012 at 07:38 AM.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

this brings up a question after watching how much standing wrestling is in tai chi.

Is it possible that at one point in time punching and kicking took a back seat to clinch wrestling when it came to kung fu?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

the wrestling is a recent thing, when people thought punching looked "external".
    Last edited by bawang; 07-07-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the wrestling is a recent thing, when people thought punching looked "external".
    --------------------------------------------

What do you base your opinion on?

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    this brings up a question after watching how much standing wrestling is in tai chi.

Is it possible that at one point in time punching and kicking took a back seat to clinch wrestling when it came to kung fu?
    Some say this but to be honest I don't think so and this is why:
    Every MA that is "grappling oriented" do NOT prioritize forms ( solo forms).
    Look at the grappling oriented MA in TCMA, principally SHuai Chiao, you do find forms ( of course) but they are more like going over the throws and such while grappling with an "imaginary opponent" and that is not what we see in Taiji.
    Does Taiji adress the clinch and throws? Yes of course because every MA should.
    Push hands leads into the skills needed for "clinch fighting" of course and it is far more "greco- roman" than most realize.
    But that does not mean that it was primarily a "clinch grappling art".
    I also base this belief on a few other things such as:
    The upright posture of the form
    The foot work of the form
    The over extending in the form
    Just these 3 would NOT be advisable in standing grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    Taiji forms are filled with throwing techniques. And in the Greater Meihua line of Praying Mantis, the forms are filled with throwing techniques. In fact, I would say that Fen Shen Ba Zhou (Body Dividing Eight Elbows) has as many, if not more throwing techniques as striking techniques.

I do not believe punching and kicking necessarily took a back seat to clinch wrestling. However, if you are looking for a good means of tossing your opponent on their ass, Taiji and Mantis have them in abundance.

I think it is sad how many people think they need to cross-train at beginning and intermediate levels. Sometimes if they just mastered the art they were in, they would find the knowledge they thought they needed to go elsewhere to get.

Having trained in Jujutsu for decades, I can't think of one fighting principle that I didn't also find in Mantis. The set-up and even the execution might appear different between the arts, but the principles remain the same.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 07-09-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!