Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kicks in WCK

Kicks in WCK

Hi, since not many threads on Kicking in WC, a very important part, I guess I may put up something VERY BRIEF to kick-start some discussions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBaQ7...ature=youtu.be

Cheers
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

There are lots of kicks in IM wing chun. Many kicks in dummy work and footwork helps with the kicks.
    But hands are more frequently used. Have to be careful, on not being taken down when "you" lift your leg.

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Hi, since not many threads on Kicking in WC, a very important part, I guess I may put up something VERY BRIEF to kick-start some discussions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBaQ7...ature=youtu.be

Cheers
    Nice clip. In my current system most of our kicks are based on stomping like motions with only some exceptions.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    There are lots of kicks in IM wing chun. Many kicks in dummy work and footwork helps with the kicks.
    But hands are more frequently used. Have to be careful, on not being taken down when "you" lift your leg.
    Yes, as such high kicks are opportunistic; either the opponent gives you the opportunity, or you create your opportunities (for example, by kicking low first).

I generally don't like kicking higher than hips. After connecting your leg to the opponent's elbows one learns very fast.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    Nice clip. In my current system most of our kicks are based on stomping like motions with only some exceptions.
    Thanks. The stomp is the mother of kicks.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Blog Entries
    If you train for "stomp" kick, you should shift more weight onto your leading leg when you kick. You should have serious "intensity" as if you want to stomp a hole through the earth.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-07-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you train for "stomp" kick, you should shift more weight onto your leading leg when you kick. You should have serious "intensity" as if you want to stomp a hole through the earth.
    I see your point. In what I'm currently training the emphasis is more on the back (i.e. the non kicking leg) and tend not to put to much weight on the kicking leg, unless we have an absolute clear and stable target. But honestly I don't ever really kick much since the hands take care of a lot and if I do kick I revert back to my MT training.
    Last edited by nasmedicine; 07-07-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Blog Entries
    The stomp kick is very safe to use. It puts your opponent into defensive mode. In order to do so, you have to scare the sh!t out of your opponent when you stomp on his leg.

A stomp kick is a good strategy to enter into your opponent's kicking range. That's why the weight shifting is important.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-08-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Would most of you include trips, sweeps etc. as a part of the kicking curriculum? What about stepping through someones center? I ask as, in my experience at least, this seems to catch out a lot senior and experienced practitioners, in a chi sau context.

Just another quick Q regarding kicks and chum kui as practiced by those that studied under Ip Chun. How many of you use the lan sau position as a marker for whether one is raising the shoulders and telegraphing the dung toi in the second section?

Initial kicks I favour speed over power (not saying I don't want power). I want stealth. Once the opponent's momentum is broken we have plenty of time for finishing kicks.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Thanks for the clip, very cool. I love kicking being a long legged beastie. Jeet is the word for me when it comes to kicks.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

I have a couple o questions for the gang. What do u feel is the limit in # (if any) to kicking in combination in real combat, one opponent. Also, opinions on kicking while moving backwards. Thanx.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Would most of you include trips, sweeps etc. as a part of the kicking curriculum? What about stepping through someones center? I ask as, in my experience at least, this seems to catch out a lot senior and experienced practitioners, in a chi sau context.

Just another quick Q regarding kicks and chum kui as practiced by those that studied under Ip Chun. How many of you use the lan sau position as a marker for whether one is raising the shoulders and telegraphing the dung toi in the second section?
    Hi mate, not something I focus on too much but yes the lan sau can help as a guide as to whether the upper body is moving or not when kicking in the form.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The stomp kick is very safe to use. It puts your opponent into defensive mode. In order to do so, you have to scare the sh!t out of your opponent when you stomp on his leg.

A stomp kick is a good strategy to enter into your opponent's kicking range. That's why the weight shifting is important.
    I understand but wouldn't you be afraid that if you missed all your weight would be on the kicking leg. Unless of course missing the target is a non issue. I only say this because that has happened to me while sparring and leaves me wide open for numerous counters especially to the leg with all the weight I just fed into it. But if you have the element of suprise and the opponent is coming right at you then I would most likely do it the way you mentioned.
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

Initial kicks I favour speed over power (not saying I don't want power). I want stealth. Once the opponent's momentum is broken we have plenty of time for finishing kicks.
    I agree speed and suprise are key for kicks, especially surprise IMO.
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube