Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kicks in WCK

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    In Augusting Fong's teachings:

Leg Development

Jing Dok Lop ma (front single leg)
    Wang Dok Lop ma (side single leg)
    Jing/Wang Dang Gurk (slow nailing front and side kick)
    Jing/Wang Tai Gurk (slow front and side raising kick)
    Gaan Gurk (5 Leg Blocks) Soo, Bong, Gaan, Pak Sut, Wu Sut
    Yin/Yang Rotation of Kicking (Front Kick up/ Down, Side Kick up/Down)
    Jing Gurk Jut Gurk
    Pak Gurk in Air
    Wu Gurk in Air
    Bong Gurk Chai Gurk
    Huen Jing Gurk
    Huen Wang Gurk
    Tiu Chai Gurk
    Tiu Dang Gurk
    Years ago, when I use to learn from Sifu Derek Fung (student of Ip Man), we use to train what he called "Wing Chun 8 Kicks". For the life of me I cannot recall all the eight kicks.

Yes, VM, it would be nice to see the kicks you mentioned in action.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Years ago, when I use to learn from Sifu Derek Fung (student of Ip Man), we use to train what he called "Wing Chun 8 Kicks". For the life of me I cannot recall all the eight kicks.

Yes, VM, it would be nice to see the kicks you mentioned in action.
    Hey John
    What was Derek like? I believe he is still teaching?

I usually either not kick, or if I do I usually do 2. Rarely 3.

My first kick is usually for coverage, set up etc; hence it is always followed by something else, such as another kick, a punch, an elbow strike etc. Anyway, the mentality is to go ballistic at the opponent and continuously attacking him until he is down, before he could even breathe. Then hit him a bit more just in case

Rarely 3, because it takes too long. A real fight engagement is a very unstable equilibrium.

I hate going backwards. If a large force is charging at me I prefer to do it like a Matador. Fool the bull, move out of harm's way and stab the bull in the back.
    Thanks! I like your approach
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1177893]
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------

0, 1 or 2.
    Simple and true
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    wouldn't you be afraid that if you missed all your weight would be on the kicking leg.
    You can borrow the counter force from the ground to pull your stomp kick back. If you can stomp, pull back, and stomp within 1 second, you will have developed very good "chain stomps".

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You can borrow the counter force from the ground to pull your sto. mp kick back. If you can stomp, pull back, and stomp within 1 second, you will have developed very good "chain stomps".
    I see. I will try it out on the dummy.
    Last edited by nasmedicine; 07-08-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Hey John
    What was Derek like? I believe he is still teaching?
    He is very skilled, and a totally nice guy. He ended up getting on very well with TST so you can see a bit of TST in him. I must say, this is from way back, so much could have been changed.

He is still teaching, I think Burwood (???). Best to google him.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

As an insight into Sam Kwok's IM WCK - he says that there are 8 kicks in Wing Chun (and Dung Toi is not one of them...). They are (as per the dummy form):

Jic Gerk
    Wan Gerk
    Chut Sun Jic Gerk
    Wan Tan Gerk

Any other kicks are variations or combinations of the above.

Each is performed twice, once each side, making up the 8 kicks. He counts leg techniques such as Pak Gerk and Huen Gerk and even the Biu Ma motion as leg techniques to disrupt the opponent's centre as opposed to a 'kick'.

Having commented on Dung Toi - Sam Kwok states that this was never a WCK kick and came from a mistelling of an IM story where he stopped an attacker with a foot to the belly and the assumption that, because IM performed the kick, that kick must be WCK. Can't vouch for the truth of that though.

Personally, I still use the Dung Toi kick within my CK form as it was taught to me because I see a use in it. Still on a personal level, I count Pak Gerk as a kick and Huen Gerk as a sweep but, like the hand techniques, the exact classification is irrelevant - it's the use that counts.

If you boil them down, there are only two kicks (front and side) which can be performed in a variety of ways from different legs in different positions or at different levels.

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    oh I forgot that you guys are connected to austin goh if that's the case then I'm fully aware of his way of doing things. I know this is kind of off topic but what do you think about his human energy stuff? PM me if you like?
    Okay it's cool that you are 'fully aware' of uncles teachings, although I have no ideas really what that means lol!

As for his human energy stuffs, his eldest student, Juerg Ziegler has just released a book on the matter but I can not really discuss as I know nothing of his practises, only what I see and read.

My Sigung had a wide ranging curriculum of Wing Chun, which included Heigung sets and understanding linked to his TCM practise (he was a qualified herbalist and TCM practitioner) but I wouldn't say this is the same as uncle Gohs methods as he has grown over the years through his own self study and other learning.

I think it is well to remember that the 'eight kicks' of Wing Chun are in a sense connected to the 'eight chopping blades', therefore connected to pairing the hands with the legs.

Many people use loose terms for the 'techniques', but there are specifically 'eight methods' of leg practise I am aware of, it's just I can not share the details here.

there are many technical names for these leg methods, more than eight actually, but without the basic eight it's simply all guess work IMHO...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_WCK View Post
    Jic Gerk
    Wan Gerk
    Chut Sun Jic Gerk
    Wan Tan Gerk

Any other kicks are variations or combinations of the above.
    Interesting but very misleading IMHO.

Basically you are saying there are 2 'kicks' that are Wan and Jic(Jeet), which I presume are the methods of revolving and straight which in turn are called (technically) Huen and Pak.

This is good solid information, but this is not the specific legwork I am talking of but more a breakdown of basic concepts for legwork motions... which I think is more connected to the original clip posted by John than what I am talking about too?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Interesting but very misleading IMHO.

Basically you are saying there are 2 'kicks' that are Wan and Jic(Jeet), which I presume are the methods of revolving and straight which in turn are called (technically) Huen and Pak.

This is good solid information, but this is not the specific legwork I am talking of but more a breakdown of basic concepts for legwork motions... which I think is more connected to the original clip posted by John than what I am talking about too?
    Hi Spencer,
    I suspect that this is going to be another of those threads that descends into a debate about chinese terminology and the "correct" use of cantonese / mandarin.
    When it does I'll bow out (as I have no interest), but FWIW I'm with Matt (not surprising given the closeness of the lineages) I'm familiar with huen ma, biu ma etc but wouldn't class them as kicks. I have no idea what a dung toi is. Bong gerk and tan gerk for me are simply descriptions of the action that the kick can perform if it intercepts en route. The only true kicks that I have been taught over the years are jic gerk (front thrusting kick), tek gerk (lifting kick), chut sun gerk (cross stamp kick), wang gerk(side kick) and pak gerk (stopping kick), its a limited aresenal but more than sufficient.
    Last edited by wingchunIan; 07-09-2012 at 05:11 AM.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Hi Spencer,
    I suspect that this is going to be another of those threads that descends into a debate about chinese terminology and the "correct" use of cantonese / mandarin.
    When it does I'll bow out (as I have no interest)
    I will try my best not to go there lol!! I can't anywayz in so much detail so let's look at the basics more closely...

Bong gerk and tan gerk for me are simply descriptions of the action that the kick can perform if it intercepts en route. The only true kicks that I have been taught over the years are jic gerk (front thrusting kick), tek gerk (lifting kick), wang gerk(side kick) and pak gerk (stopping kick), its a limited aresenal but more than sufficient.
    Now these are exactly what I was talking about with regards to technical names for the kicks in action, and if you double them up on both sides you have 8 'kicks'. But where I have a little issue is when the 'seed terms' are used (Bong, Tan) and here is why:

The seeds are crucial in understanding flow and intent of a movement, both in the hands and feet for sure, but they are not the actual term for the action itself (more the method of movement) whereas Pak, Tek, Wang and Jik are the technical terms for the actions. This is easier to understand (IMHO) if you can distinguish between a Bong Jik Gerk and a Tan Jik gert... if this makes sense?

Taking this into consideration your 4 methods can be done with 2 seed intentions, therefore creating 8 possibilitie with each leg, resulting in 16 kicking methods. Now THIS is more what I am talking about actually and if you look into older, more traditional terms for legwork you will see things like Johns 'Pheasant Kick' etc which are all connected IMHO.

Not too complicated, nor lingual, but something that helps explore the sheer amount of stuff that was scaled down and refined by Ip Man in his later teachings. Just my interpretation but one that many before me have seen too.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Hi Spencer,
    When it does I'll bow out (as I have no interest), but FWIW I'm with Matt (not surprising given the closeness of the lineages) I'm familiar with huen ma, biu ma etc but wouldn't class them as kicks. I have no idea what a dung toi is. Bong gerk and tan gerk for me are simply descriptions of the action that the kick can perform if it intercepts en route. The only true kicks that I have been taught over the years are jic gerk (front thrusting kick), tek gerk (lifting kick), chut sun gerk (cross stamp kick), wang gerk(side kick) and pak gerk (stopping kick), its a limited aresenal but more than sufficient.
    I've heard tek gerk used to describe dung toi (lifting/ascending leg) so I believe that they are the same thing. I think different lines simply use slightly different terminology.

[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;1177933]

I think it is well to remember that the 'eight kicks' of Wing Chun are in a sense connected to the 'eight chopping blades', therefore connected to pairing the hands with the legs.
    ================================================== =================
    Muddled. I don't think so.. Perhaps in your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Muddled. I don't think so.. Perhaps in your system.
    No Joy. I am far from muddled. We simply have quite a varied way of interpreting what Ip Man accomplished, that's all.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術