Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Only teach rich students

Blog Entries

Only teach rich students

Just had a phone conversation with my friend. Through the discussion, there was one subject that interest me. He just told one of his students only to teach rich students. I asked him why and here was the reason that he gave me.

In some TCMA system, to test your skill in tournament environment is "extreamly" important. If you teach a poor student, he won't be able to afford to travel around the world, compete in national level and international level tournaments, and test his skill against the best of the best in the world. That student's "MA skill development" and "MA experience accumulation" will always be limited no matter how talent he is and how good that you may teach him. Of course that student can always compete in local tournaments. He may become a big fish in a small pond. Will he become a big fish in open sea? You and that student will never have chance to find that out.

What's your opinion on this?

Teach whoever can afford your tuition.

Or, if you are some sifus here, whoever brings you the most chicken dinners.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blog Entries
    Or, if you are some sifus here, whoever brings you the most chicken dinners.
    ROTFFLMAO......you mad bro? LOL....I'll bring you a chicken dinner and you ain't gotta be mah SEE FOO.....LOL

you need some a$s dude LOL
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Just had a phone conversation with my friend. Through the discussion, there was one subject that interest me. He just told one of his students only to teach rich students. I asked him why and here was the reason that he gave me.

In some TCMA system, to test your skill in tournament environment is "extreamly" important. If you teach a poor student, he won't be able to afford to travel around the world, compete in national level and international level tournaments, and test his skill against the best of the best in the world. That student's "MA skill development" and "MA experience accumulation" will always be limited no matter how talent he is and how good that you may teach him. Of course that student can always compete in local tournaments. He may become a big fish in a small pond. Will he become a big fish in open sea? You and that student will never have chance to find that out.

If you are a teacher, you should teach whoever comes to you, can pay your fees, has the right attitude, and is able and willing to train hard. If someone is a serious student, he will find a way to achieve what he wants. If you're a professional teacher, you already can't be so picky that you'll only take rich students. You cannot predict, through financial status alone, who is the real diamond in the rough. And besides, how do you know that someday the poor student's financial status won't change? He may end up going to someone else who won't discriminate against him and become really good. Maybe he could have been "the one," so to speak.

Besides, just because a student is rich doesn't mean he'll give a **** about traveling the world or even nationally to compete in tournaments.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-04-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    how do you know that someday the poor student's financial status won't change?
    Even a poor student can become a rich student, will he still be young enough to compete in tournament? Old Chinese saying said, "Scholar is for the poor, and TCMA is for the rich." There is some truth in it. First, if you train hard, you will need to eat good food. Can you afford to eat good food everyday?

The TCMA training require

- free time, and
    - money.

Today, free time = money that not everybody has.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-04-2012 at 09:07 PM.

You see poor kids who become NBA, NFL, baseball, etc., players; and fighters like boxers and other world-class athletes. They were somehow able to eat well enough to become elite athletes. Although that's not CMA, why should it be any different? Many of them come from dirt-poor backgrounds.

How poor do you mean by poor?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Teach whoever can afford your tuition.
    That's how I feel. By looking at my friend's students who could travel and compete tournament after tournament, it makes me think.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-04-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    How poor do you mean by poor?
    May be something like:

Can't take off 1 week, fly to China, and compete international level tournament (I don't mean modern Wushu form competation here). That may cost a student at least $2,000.

I had some experience in these kind of international tournament. Most of the time, you will find out that good students don't have money to go. Those who can afford to go are not good enough. If you form an international team, you will end with a "rich kids tourist" group instead.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-04-2012 at 10:34 PM.

It is all about money man. Just teach anyone that has the price of admission. You are assuming way too much here. Or your friend is. What makes him think he has the ability to teach a world class fighter in the first place? And no matter how rich a dude is, what are the odds of his rich a$$ ever becoming a world class fighter? Just forget about the BS and concentrate on the bucks. Better yet, get a real job and forget teaching Gung Fu.
    Jackie Lee

youre not serious right? i mean just when things are finally getting on track here and people are talking about kung fu, and how to bring tcma into the 21st century...here come the crabs in the bucket who want to drag **** down again.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Teach whom ever can afford the fee's. I dont get this "u have to be rich" to compete thing. As someone stated a lot of professional athletes come from poor backgrounds. Boxing, look at pac man. Comes from extreme poor in the phillipines. Lots of poor background stories in mma. So i think that teachers logic is flawed. I would rather teach someone of poor stature, at least they will appreciate it more.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I encountered this attitude while living in China.

Its not just about competition. A rich student can afford not to work at all and devote all of his time to training. So he can achieve a higher level. Making training the only thing you do makes a big difference. Even if while working you train every available moment, you still have too many other pressures and stresses to allow your mind to completely absorb the training.

Most great masters are only interested in a student who has the free time to become really good. And most often that is those who are rich, or those who can sacrifice everything else. Free time is the best thing money can buy. Its what I spend mine on.

Train whoever wants to learn and let the training process "weed out" those that are not "deserving".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

YouKnowWho, out of curiosity, and of course without revealing too much information, does your friend's students primarily demonstrate their skills through taolu, shuai jiao, or sanda?

Teach the rich ones TCMA, the poor ones MMA.

They pay them to fight in MMA if they're good enough.

TCMA tourneys are mostly political nonsense for philosophical elitists.