Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Short Fist Boxing

Short Fist Boxing

Here are a couple videos of Short Fist Boxing, I know that few have seen what it looks like. I don't think I can embed vimeo videos so I just put them in here as links.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/45584953
    http://player.vimeo.com/video/45585940

Short Fist is a system built to teach Pak Mei fighting concepts and shapes quickly. A student that gets good at it would then have many of the tools needed to hit the ground running with Pak Mei.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    Here are a couple videos of Short Fist Boxing, I know that few have seen what it looks like. I don't think I can embed vimeo videos so I just put them in here as links.

Short Fist is a system built to teach Pak Mei fighting concepts and shapes quickly. A student that gets good at it would then have many of the tools needed to hit the ground running with Pak Mei.
    For a short fist system, he seems to be working a bit "long", is there a reason for that?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The guy in white on the left was extending his stance without bringing it up.

Hence he looks like he is fencing rather than bringing the structure foward and through the other person.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    For a short fist system, he seems to be working a bit "long", is there a reason for that?
    Yes, there is a reason. Short does not refer to how close you stand to the person, but something else. I work closer in Hung Gar than they tend to work for reference.
    Last edited by Golden Arms; 07-11-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    The guy in white on the left was extending his stance without bringing it up.

Hence he looks like he is fencing rather than bringing the structure foward and through the other person.
    No offense, but you are welcome to try standing in front of him and then offering that critique if you can stop him. If that is all you can see happening in the clip then that says a lot.
    Last edited by Golden Arms; 07-11-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    -Golden Arms-

Yes, there is a reason. Short does not refer to how close you stand to the person, but something else. I work closer in Hung Gar than they tend to work for reference.
    Sorry, I didn't make my question clearer.
    Typically, short fist system work in a close distance than that showed in the clip (inside the elbow typically), my question was if there was a reason they were working outside that range?

Yes, there is a reason. The "Short" in Short Fist does not imply working inside the elbow range. Again, the Hung system I learned prior to starting Pak Mei works in that range a lot so I am familiar both with the range and that many systems like to function there (especially some Thai and Silat systems as well as some SPM to name a few). Short Fist uses a different set of strategies and works great against longer range systems as well as the short bridge systems you allude to.
    -Golden Arms-

i dont see how it makes beginners get into short range easier. youre still doing complicated bridging pattycake.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Yes, there is a reason. The "Short" in Short Fist does not imply working inside the elbow range. Again, the Hung system I learned prior to starting Pak Mei works in that range a lot so I am familiar both with the range and that many systems like to function there (especially some Thai and Silat systems as well as some SPM to name a few). Short Fist uses a different set of strategies and works great against longer range systems as well as the short bridge systems you allude to.
    Ah I see, so what makes its a "short fist" is the power generation then,yes?

Doens't Pak Mei teach pak mei fighting concepts better, so why not just teach bak mei, why bother starting out in a range pak mei doesnt normally play in and then not even allow any real contact?

Frost,

http://www.pakmei.net/articles/article.asp?ID=16

If you are still curious, look up where our Pak Mei comes from. We fight and past that I really don't feel like explaining a bunch of stuff that you could read if you are curious or find out by speaking with my Sifu. Our Pak Mei is not Southern Mantis, it is not a slap fest, and it works well.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Doens't Pak Mei teach pak mei fighting concepts better, so why not just teach bak mei, why bother starting out in a range pak mei doesnt normally play in and then not even allow any real contact?
    You should know that some systems require a "launch platform" to work at their best.
    You can get there without it, but it cuts the process time.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You should know that some systems require a "launch platform" to work at their best.
    You can get there without it, but it cuts the process time.
    yes i know this, hence pakmei and dragon are sometimes taught together, but pakmei can also be taught and does stand alone as a combat system,

Frost,

http://www.pakmei.net/articles/article.asp?ID=16

If you are still curious, look up where our Pak Mei comes from. We fight and past that I really don't feel like explaining a bunch of stuff that you could read if you are curious or find out by speaking with my Sifu. Our Pak Mei is not Southern Mantis, it is not a slap fest, and it works well.
    A word on that article since me mentions "not for sport".
    I have often read those words with a cringe but over the last few months I have realized that they don't mean what we MAY think they mean.
    Most of the old time fighters loved to fight in sport matches, many liked boxing and under the Japanese even took up judo and such, sport MA has always been a part of TCMA.
    What I think they meant when saying "not for sport" was that it was to be take in a far more serious way then simply for competition.
    A strike trained to hurt for sport becomes one to kill in a fight.
    The INTENT was "not for sport" not the technique per say.
    It wasn't a slight on sport fighting ( which many of them loved) it was a warning about the seriousness of intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    yes i know this, hence pakmei and dragon are sometimes taught together, but pakmei can also be taught and does stand alone as a combat system,
    Yep, BUT ( arguably) it fits better as a "finishing" system like most short hand ones do.