Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yik Kam STL part 2 section 1 and 2

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    Honestly, I believe that most sifus at that level as Sifu Chu Shong Tin can do a form that most people would say is terrible but in reality it would be very powerful. The difference between them and noobs is that they understand and can generate the energy and power necessary while a less trained individual can still do their form sloppy and have no power behind it.

In a similar sense, there are times I spar or chi sao with my sifu and it seems like he's breaking all the Ving Tsun concepts, but he still owns me. I feel that the appearance isn't always indicative of the efficiency and power of a style, if it was, Ving Tsun would be one of the weakest styles ever because it certainly doesn't look powerful (imo) at the superficial level.
    This too. Looks falling a part right?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...IUrG5VMiKGBjXQ

Ihmo. The bottom line is bows , qi path , and jing path.
    Who cares about looks, it is not shaws brother shaolin kungfu movies.
    Not to mention WCK is not for macho look. All the chum kil or yik kam part 2 equivalent set has that willow body characteristic , this is not southern shaolin but wing Chun kuen.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-15-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    You my friend are very wise.
    Not really, I just say stuff that makes sense every now and then (if even that)

on a side note, I actually started looking into fut sao wing chun because of your sig and because one of the people i cross train with has a friend who trains fut sao wing chun. I'm totally trying to get him to invite his friend to training with us because the fut sao wing chun method (or at least the limited view i have on it from what i read) def seemed very interesting!
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    This too. Looks falling a part right?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...IUrG5VMiKGBjXQ

Ihmo. The bottom line is bows , qi path , and jing path.
    Who cares about looks, it is not shaws brother shaolin kungfu movies.
    Not to mention WCK is not for macho look. All the chum kil or yik kam part 2 equivalent set has that willow body characteristic , this is not southern shaolin but wing Chun kuen.
    I agree that the looks shouldn't be the sole basis for judging kung fu, especially through a video. But at the same time, we all definitely value details in how a movement is performed. TBH, I enjoy watching your vids, so to bring up the snake engine video, I'd point out how you mentioned the differences between your view of the snake like movement in Yip Man Ving Tsun's Biu Jee (the up and down finger movement after the first punch) and the snake engine in Yik Kam lineage. Personally, I feel that the Yip Man Ving Tsun method still teaches what you mentioned about the Yik Kam lineage's snake engine, except that everything in our forms is done at the most subtle level possible and then expanded in time on the jong or in drills or sparring. But the point is that even you judged based on what you saw. It's just something we all do at times because on one hand, it does have value, but on the other hand looks can be deceiving.

Not really, I just say stuff that makes sense every now and then (if even that)

on a side note, I actually started looking into fut sao wing chun because of your sig and because one of the people i cross train with has a friend who trains fut sao wing chun. I'm totally trying to get him to invite his friend to training with us because the fut sao wing chun method (or at least the limited view i have on it from what i read) def seemed very interesting!
    You are wise because you are talking logically and without bias, you are able to comprehend a concept many aren't able to grasp on this forum. To make a quick correction the clips in my sig are not Fut Sao Wing Chun but rather it's my Sifu's system which he has coined Fut Hong in homage of our roots. But yeah if your ever in NJ come visit, all are welcome. LOL, it's funny cause I refer top our school as the roach motel. Most people I bring or those who visit never want to leave. If your in NY, stonecrusher69 is teaching Fut Sao there.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

I agree that the looks shouldn't be the sole basis for judging kung fu, especially through a video.

But at the same time, we all definitely value details in how a movement is performed. TBH, I enjoy watching your vids, so to bring up the snake engine video, I'd point out how you mentioned the differences between your view of the snake like movement in Yip Man Ving Tsun's Biu Jee (the up and down finger movement after the first punch) and the snake engine in Yik Kam lineage.

Personally, I feel that the Yip Man Ving Tsun method still teaches what you mentioned about the Yik Kam lineage's snake engine, except that everything in our forms is done at the most subtle level possible and then expanded in time on the jong or in drills or sparring.

But the point is that even you judged based on what you saw. It's just something we all do at times because on one hand, it does have value, but on the other hand looks can be deceiving.
    IMHO,
    Wing Chun is wing Chun, if you watch my yik kam slt basic YouTube. You see all the snake and crane in all red boat WCK lineages. However, they do evolve as times goes by.

As for can one judge ones Kung fu from looks?
    Yes, if one is in the level and knows how to read the bows, qi path, and jing path beyond the physical shape and movement. That three elements will tell the story.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-16-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    To make a quick correction the clips in my sig are not Fut Sao Wing Chun but rather it's my Sifu's system which he has coined Fut Hong in homage of our roots. But yeah if your ever in NJ come visit, all are welcome. LOL, it's funny cause I refer top our school as the roach motel. Most people I bring or those who visit never want to leave. If your in NY, stonecrusher69 is teaching Fut Sao there.
    lol, after i made my post I noticed that your sig said "Fut Hong" and I was thinking "crap, my post doesn't make sense anymore." If you dont mind me asking, where did the "Hong" part come from (assuming it was originally Fut Sao)?

and nice, I'm actually in NY, I'm not looking for a class or new sifu because I'm far from being done with the Ving Tsun my sifu is teaching me, but it's good to know there are people training it here that I may eventually meet some time. I think there actually might be a school in Queens, maybe, but i could be mixing it up w/ another school

lol, after i made my post I noticed that your sig said "Fut Hong" and I was thinking "crap, my post doesn't make sense anymore." If you dont mind me asking, where did the "Hong" part come from (assuming it was originally Fut Sao)?

and nice, I'm actually in NY, I'm not looking for a class or new sifu because I'm far from being done with the Ving Tsun my sifu is teaching me, but it's good to know there are people training it here that I may eventually meet some time. I think there actually might be a school in Queens, maybe, but i could be mixing it up w/ another school
    Great question! There are actually multiple reasons why my sifu chose to use of Hong. From what I gather one of the reason was out of respect for the teachings of Hsu Yun who known as Empty Cloud (or rather his name roughly translates to from what I remember). Hong can be roughly interpreted as empty/invisible (nothingness) from what I understand. In anycase this was done more to separate us from others who have learned Fut Sao from Henry because there are many things that my sifu teaches that doesn't exist in Fut Sao and that are unique to my Sifu's chi gong and TCM knowledge that have been incorporated into it. Whatever the case is you should stop by if in NJ just to visit always good to make new friends. If your interested in learning more of our "flavor" the closest thing in NY is Sifu Mc Ilwrath (stonecrusher69). Especially if you have already trained in Yip Man WC this way you have a base to compare to. If you want a better understanding of the internal aspect visit my sifu OR stonecrusher69 and see if it's your cup of tea.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    not to mention I dont even aware of such request.
    simple enough answer - all I was asking.

you know, I'm trying to stay clear of a whole lot commentary on your Yik Kam transform threads. I'm honestly glad you are taking the time to try to preserve the WCK you've learned and your family lineage. I personally don't have any conflict with other WCK families training and preserving their lineage. Each person is responsible to ensure that they can effectively fight with what they learn, otherwise we are preserving dance and meditations.

My only comment with respect to forums is that I think that it's good that you are doing a lot of the video on your YouTube channel. I also think that it might be a better idea to post the bulk of your writings on Yik Kam on a private blog, and just link to it here (or duplicate it), as opposed to using KFO as your primary storage of that. You want to preserve your intellectual property. Forums don't really accomplish that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    simple enough answer - all I was asking.

you know, I'm trying to stay clear of a whole lot commentary on your Yik Kam transform threads. I'm honestly glad you are taking the time to try to preserve the WCK you've learned and your family lineage. I personally don't have any conflict with other WCK families training and preserving their lineage. Each person is responsible to ensure that they can effectively fight with what they learn, otherwise we are preserving dance and meditations.

My only comment with respect to forums is that I think that it's good that you are doing a lot of the video on your YouTube channel. I also think that it might be a better idea to post the bulk of your writings on Yik Kam on a private blog, and just link to it here (or duplicate it), as opposed to using KFO as your primary storage of that. You want to preserve your intellectual property. Forums don't really accomplish that.

Thank you for you advise and ideas.

Best regards.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Each person is responsible to ensure that they can effectively fight with what they learn, otherwise we are preserving dance and meditations.
    This is one of the most sensible things anyone has said so far on this thread.
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

Quote Originally Posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
    one can look wobbling but in fact be in control..One example is the drunken style. My sifu at times looks off balance whenin fact he is in control. all one needs to do is try to push them over and you will see for your self. I have meet a few people who if you never touch their hands it would look what you think it looks like when in fact it is not. So yes,the eyes can be mislead sometimes. I dont need to look at the clip I've met and trained with Hendrik so i know whats what. Forget about what it looks like.
    What are you even talking about? We're not talking about drunken anything (except maybe that Herick looks drunk off his a55 in this clip), or touching anyone's hands - this is supposed to be a clip of a guy doing his WCK SLT!

And please don't give the that 'the eyes can be misled'/'ignore the man behing the curtain'/'forget what it looks like; BS. Sorry, but that's a horrible reason for him looking so bad - we're all smarter than that (at least I hope!).
    I thought this clip was to help preserve his lineage? Why should everyone forget and ignore how aweful he looks? I mean, we're talking about a guy that claims to be the lineage holder for what he claims is the original WCK!! He should look better than a stupidly drunk sailor on a rocking ship in rough seas that can't remember his techniques and can't tell his shoulder form his elbow!
    Jeebus - if this is what people think WCK is supposed to look like, the fate of WCK is in some serious serious trouble.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    What are you even talking about? We're not talking about drunken anything (except maybe that Herick looks drunk off his a55 in this clip), or touching anyone's hands - this is supposed to be a clip of a guy doing his WCK SLT!

And please don't give the that 'the eyes can be misled'/'ignore the man behing the curtain'/'forget what it looks like; BS. Sorry, but that's a horrible reason for him looking so bad - we're all smarter than that (at least I hope!).

I thought this clip was to help preserve his lineage? Why should everyone forget and ignore how aweful he looks? I mean, we're talking about a guy that claims to be the lineage holder for what he claims is the original WCK!! He should look better than a stupidly drunk sailor on a rocking ship in rough seas that can't remember his techniques and can't tell his shoulder form his elbow!

Jeebus - if this is what people think WCK is supposed to look like, the fate of WCK is in some serious serious trouble.

Thank you for your comments.

Now, after I give you a few chance to express your view.

I would like to ask you to leave this thread
    to start your own thread to express your own view.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post

ok, I forgot you know everything..
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..