Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: There are two kinds of teachers

There are two kinds of teachers

I have come across two different kinds of teachers.

One teaches how to do skills. He teaches you how to throw and lets you throw him. He teaches you how to hit and then sends you to the bag. When teaching throws he teaches you how to create momentum and shows how momentary body mechanics help. This teacher emphasizes conditioning and makes it part of his class. This is how student learn how to do it on their own. This teacher is good.

Here is the other kind of teacher I have come across. This teacher sucks. He talks about what magic acu points to press on before throwing the guy, he has you strike him slow and then super speed counters, you have to fall for him because he is too old to throw you but still believes he can, he extracts techniques from forms and demos on arm hangers. He talks about static positions when "trapping" in striking and says, "if he moves here I move here. It is so easy". He does not freestyle with you. This teacher may or may not believe in conditioning but says you should do it on your own but the truth is he stopped years ago. He talks about how this helps a smaller person beat the bigger stronger person.

Have you guys come across these kinds? Which did you prefer?

The biggest reason for the two teachers is that the first teacher still competes. He is with it. The second teacher either never competed/fought or he did so in his youth. He allowed his actual training to stagnate and sat around thinking all day about how to apply instead of actually applying.
    Last edited by RWilson; 07-12-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    In your example, your 1st kind teacher will become your 2nd kind teacher when he reaches to his 80 years old birthday. I don't care how good shape you may be or how famous master you are, when your are 80 years old, a full powerful punch on your head, or a full powerful throw over the shoulder can help you to go to heaven earlier.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-12-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In your example, your 1st kind teacher will become your 2nd kind teacher when he reaches to his 80 years old birthday. I don't care how good shape you may be or how famous master you are, when your are 80 years old, a full powerful punch on your head, or a full powerful throw over the shoulder can help you to go to heaven earlier.
    The second teacher should not be allowed to teach beginners and intermediate because his teachings are a waste to those without skills. They are a waste regardless. He should only be with super senior students or do special seminars. The second kind of teacher will ruin a class with younger students. Agree, ykw?

I will also add that the teacher does not have to do conditioning with his students. But he should stand there with the stopwatch and be a strong leader for the class. He does not have to get thrown all the time but sometimes yeah or he will not know for sure if you are doing it right.

And you guys know my view on sparring with the old guys. When I said he should move with you freestyle I meant he should try applying the skills with atleast a little resistsnce or else what he is showing you is fantasy.
    Last edited by RWilson; 07-12-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    The second kind of teacher will ruin a class with younger students. Agree, ykw?
    Agree!

In TCMA, there is nothing worse to have an old teacher when you are just a beginner. The old teacher will carry an "old man flavor". If a new student thinks that's the way it suppose to be then that studnet will carry that "old man flavor" for the rest of his life.

I have to admit that when I was young, my students were only my training partners. I had more fun to beat them up than to teach them. When I got older and no longer competed in tournaments, I started my true teaching.

The 1st teacher still competes. Because that, he may hide valuable information from you just in case he has to fight you in the same tournament.

When your 2nd teacher is 80 years old. He can only depend on his Walther PPK in his pocket, he won't mind to show you all his secret.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-12-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Agree!

In TCMA, there is nothing worse to have an old teacher when you are just a beginner. The old teacher will carry an "old man flavor". If a new student thinks that's the way it suppose to be then that studnet will carry that "old man flavor" for the rest of his life.

I have to admit that when I was young, my students were only my training partners. I had more fun to beat them up than to teach them. When I got older and no longer competed in tournaments, I started my true teaching.

The 1st teacher still competes. Because that, he may hide valuable information from you just in case he has to fight you in the same tournament.

When your 2nd teacher is 80 years old. He can only depend on his Walther PPK in his pocket, he won't mind to show you all his secret.
    Walther ppk, James Bond's gun, had no stopping power. The bullet will go through you and come out the other side. You will bleed to death eventually but it is the punch of a gun that truly makes you stop. Pick a better gun. 38 revolver.

Minor point not meant to derail the thread.

IMO, I agree with the view that the best teacher is one that makes you think, " T got here on my own".
    Now, that doesn't mean you think you didn't have or need instruction, no.
    It means that he pointed the way, directed you towards the answer BUT YOU found the answer.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    IMO, I agree with the view that the best teacher is one that makes you think, " T got here on my own".
    Now, that doesn't mean you think you didn't have or need instruction, no.
    It means that he pointed the way, directed you towards the answer BUT YOU found the answer.
    True in philosophy, Sanjuro but not practical. Remember when you were studying judo back when you were a young lad. If the teacher did not do the throw on you and explain how to do it you would have taken forever to figure it out or worse come up with The Tao of Jeet Kune Do for Judo.

A good grappling teacher should teach you how to apply momentum, how to step, and which direction to apply it in. He should not be talking about softening up an opponent by pressing on acupoints first and taking 5 min to explain this. All that can come after a student can do the throw. Agree?

How would you know how to teach anything or be able to demonstrate that you know anything. Did you not say you gave up teaching a while ago?

you are just a net ghost hiding from life.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    True in philosophy, Sanjuro but not practical. Remember when you were studying judo back when you were a young lad. If the teacher did not do the throw on you and explain how to do it you would have taken forever to figure it out or worse come up with The Tao of Jeet Kune Do for Judo.

A good grappling teacher should teach you how to apply momentum, how to step, and which direction to apply it in. He should not be talking about softening up an opponent by pressing on acupoints first and taking 5 min to explain this. All that can come after a student can do the throw. Agree?

A teacher must teach of course, there is no way around that, but HOW he teaches is crucial.
    Again we are talking personal preferences right?
    I've always like the teacher that LEADS the horse to water BUT lets the horse figure out the best way to drink it.
    Know what I mean?

I have never met a teacher like you describe in regards to "accupoints" and whatnot.

the coward is trying to poke fun at people who do Chinese martial arts.

He is only succeeding in telling people he is a closet mouthboxer.

Claims to have stopped teaching but I am sure this person has never taught anyone anything other than how to hide and snipe from the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    the coward is trying to poke fun at people who do Chinese martial arts.

He is only succeeding in telling people he is a closet mouthboxer.

Claims to have stopped teaching but I am sure this person has never taught anyone anything other than how to hide and snipe from the net.
    No, this is a serious thread. If you have nothing to add then leave my thread. You contribute nothing except to show how Internet talk bothers you. Grow a pair and then come back.

I like to make fun of Kung foo. We all know this. But in this thread I am being honest. I have trained with 3 tcma teachers that fall into category 2. It wold be better to focus on how to take advantage of anatomical weaknesses than acu points in fighting.

Acupuncture points were never a part of tcma. Most famous tcma were illiterate. They fought and mangled anatomy. They did not try to make you have a heart attack by attacking the heart meridian. I used to heard that one a lot. "Be careful attacking the inner arm where the heart meridian in training because a heart attack could result."
    Too deadly to get try to hit hard wussy syndrome also causes heart attacks due to lack of exercise/

What was that netghost?

fly fly fly little starling

fly fly fly
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 07-13-2012 at 07:03 AM.

This.
    ----
    but before you go shipping the 2nd off on an iceberg. The best situation is to have both kinds of teachers in your school. The younger up and coming instructor to work out with, and the experienced knowledgeable old guy to point out the finer details.

Acupuncture points were never a part of tcma. Most famous tcma were illiterate. They fought and mangled anatomy. They did not try to make you have a heart attack by attacking the heart meridian. I used to heard that one a lot. "Be careful attacking the inner arm where the heart meridian in training because a heart attack could result."
    Too deadly to get try to hit hard wussy syndrome also causes heart attacks due to lack of exercise/
    I am not sure what makes you think that attacking vital points were never part of TCMA, they have always been part of EVERY MA in ALL parts of the world.
    As for the very "unique" practice of "dim mak" ( which is what you are describing), that has very ancient history, dating back to India.
    Of course, what SOME have made of it is a horrific thing, but that can be said about almost everything MA related.

Which do you prefer?

Cupcakes or a pile of rotting meat?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.