Thread: The Immortal and the Black Whirlwind

The Immortal and the Black Whirlwind

While going over some introductory material for my new book The Thirty-Six Mother Techniques of Praying Mantis (release date unknown-sorry Thomas) I put together some notes on the Black Whirlwind Li Kui and Heaven-Ascended Taoist.

Li Kui along with their leader Song Jiang are part of the 36 member gang that also included people of the mantis mythic geneolgy Lin Chong and Yan Qing. It is all based on a document about the era of the Taoist Emperor Hui Zong.

This is where politics and martial arts collide, as they often do in Chinese history. The Emperor was building pleasure gardens and over taxed the commoners thus resulting in an insurrection of the Southern Chinese. At the same time, the imperial troops had obligations to the northern Liao to fight against the Jurchens. In the end, the Imperial poor judgement led to the capture of the emperor and his son by the Jurchen (later the Jin).

But hey...they had a good time while it lasted.

The events of this era became the material for popular literature for the following 1000 years as well as a part of the culture, mythology and history of Chinese martial arts.

Here is a small sliver of that.

The Immortal and the Black Whirlwind

The Immortal PDF

Hi All,
    I have converted this article The Immortal and the Black Whirlwind into a format that I would like my book to look like. I would like some input on the design;
    What you like,
    what you hate,
    What is boring,
    what is exciting.

If you would like a copy send me an email, I will email a copy to you.
    You don't have to reply with comments, but they will be much appreciated if you do.

kevinbrazier@yahoo.com

Hi Kevin,
    Very nice informatory read and Nothing is boring if there is interest in what you are writing.