Thread: Sent a deputy to the hospital yesterday...

Sent a deputy to the hospital yesterday...

We had to send one of our deputies to the hospital yesterday after he was attacked by a detainee. We were made to watch the video in briefing before work today.

The detainee is known to fight and he's on a slew of medication for mental disorders.

For some reason there was a total breakdown in our policy and a 67 year old deputy was left BY HIMSELF in a block with this guy while he showered. The detainee has a requirement of 2 deputies minimum at all times.

Without pointing fingers and laying blame, suffice it to say that the help he SHOULD have received immediately did not make it.

1 punch knocked him unconcious. His head and back fell into the metal table behind him. He was then struck 8 more times in the face. The strikes broke his nose, cut him bad enough that he required 18 stitches, and he received a concussion.

While he laid on the floor he attempted to call for help on his radio. The detainee pulled the mic from his hand and struck him 2 more times in the face.

At this point he was able to escape to safety.

Although I was not involved, I am embarassed and ashamed that no one was able to help him. This is why law enforcement officers should hold themselves to a higher standard of vigilance, physical fitness, and situational awareness.

Just wanted to give some people a reality check on the suddeness of violence. Being aware of your surrounding is going to save you more often than anything else.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    a 67 year old deputy was left BY HIMSELF in a block with this guy while he showered.

This is why law enforcement officers should hold themselves to a higher standard of vigilance, physical fitness, and situational awareness.
    How good of physical fitness should a 67 year old man be in?

Especially against a crazy person?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Read between the lines.

He wasn't condemning the older deputy. He was just saying that violence can happen to anyone and we should practice awareness.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

We had to send one of our deputies to the hospital yesterday after he was attacked by a detainee. We were made to watch the video in briefing before work today.

The detainee is known to fight and he's on a slew of medication for mental disorders.

For some reason there was a total breakdown in our policy and a 67 year old deputy was left BY HIMSELF in a block with this guy while he showered. The detainee has a requirement of 2 deputies minimum at all times.

Without pointing fingers and laying blame, suffice it to say that the help he SHOULD have received immediately did not make it.

1 punch knocked him unconcious. His head and back fell into the metal table behind him. He was then struck 8 more times in the face. The strikes broke his nose, cut him bad enough that he required 18 stitches, and he received a concussion.

While he laid on the floor he attempted to call for help on his radio. The detainee pulled the mic from his hand and struck him 2 more times in the face.

Although I was not involved, I am embarassed and ashamed that no one was able to help him. This is why law enforcement officers should hold themselves to a higher standard of vigilance, physical fitness, and situational awareness.

Just wanted to give some people a reality check on the suddeness of violence. Being aware of your surrounding is going to save you more often than anything else.
    I hope you guys fixed that loony up after that.

In mates that are condemned to life in prison or for most of it tend to make that their life and they know that no one can do anything about it. You can not harm them unless it is a matter of life and death and then you have to use judgement. They can pretty much act like they want and there is really no retribution. Going to the hole is like a vacation because you can sleep without worrying about being attacked by another inmate there. They need to go back to using corpral punishment. Like beating the hell out of them when they mess up. Most of those fools cost us thousands each year to keep them warn and healthy. They need to chain them up and put them into the fields to work.
    Jackie Lee

Your frustration is understandable. When a potentially dangerous job becomes routine people tend to let their guards down. Someone should have been watching out for that deputy. And attacks can happen anywhere.

A few hours ago I left work early to take my wife to the local ER. She is OK, just needed a doc to check her out. While we were waiting to be discharged a drugged out man in the next room attacked a male nurse. The nurse handled himself pretty well. He had a lot of experience from years in a lock-down mental ward. We got the guy restrained on the floor before security staff showed up.

It's the second time in two years that I've used my cuffs while off duty but in uniform.

Makes you think.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

It's crazy the way they allow inmates to get away with this stuff! I'm in 6the process of joining the Corrections Dept here in Florida and some of the stuff I hear is crazy! I have a cousin that works for the county corrections and the inmates can almost get away with murder on a CO there. An inmate can actually sucker punch you and then put his hands up saying I give up and you can't do anything to them! If you do you will be brought up on charges... the real kicker is that the added charge of attacking an officer will usually be dropped if it's a lesser offense than his original charge.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

These prision's should be subbed out to outher countries, once they break cetain laws they should not have any rights.

To many id..ot liberals and lawyers running this country.

IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    These prision's should be subbed out to outher countries, once they break cetain laws they should not have any rights.

To many id..ot liberals and lawyers running this country.

IMHO
    Unfortunately many of the people who wind up in those situations have brain issues, such as damage to the frontal lobe, and can't accurately reason or process cause and effect logic and don't really understand what they are doing.

It's an ethical grey area. How do you punish someone who doesn't realize why what they are doing is wrong? You can't necessarily reason with them. You can't necessarily physically punish them because their brains aren't wired correctly to process it (physical punishment is a pretty low value action anyway and has been proven to be relatively ineffective even in normal people). I'm not proposing a solution because I don't know.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Unfortunately many of the people who wind up in those situations have brain issues, such as damage to the frontal lobe, and can't accurately reason or process cause and effect logic and don't really understand what they are doing.

It's an ethical grey area. How do you punish someone who doesn't realize why what they are doing is wrong? You can't necessarily reason with them. You can't necessarily physically punish them because their brains aren't wired correctly to process it (physical punishment is a pretty low value action anyway and has been proven to be relatively ineffective even in normal people). I'm not proposing a solution because I don't know.
    I can understand in mental cases... a lot of the problems here are the young wanna be tough guys! They are so busy trying to impress others and show their toughness. They don't want to seem weak in a lions den...
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Ouch. That s*cks. Hope he recovers OK (and gets some financial compensation).

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    I can understand in mental cases... a lot of the problems here are the young wanna be tough guys! They are so busy trying to impress others and show their toughness. They don't want to seem weak in a lions den...
    Give them a lobotomy when they get out of line, that should fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Give them a lobotomy when they get out of line, that should fix them.
    I KNEW I had seen ur picture before!

The problem with some correctional officers have is complacency.

For newbies here, I worked for thhe Calif. Dept. of Corrections for 12 years.

You must always be alert, which is of course nearly impossible. When you work 7 days a week for years on end without a problem, you are usually not prepared for a problem.

I have seen many rules bent out of convenience. Gates left unlocked, one officer instead of two, etc. People always try to take short cuts for convenience and that is usually where injuries and incidents occur.

Psych-inmates require a very mature and emotionally balanced staff. Experienced staff may frequently anticipate problems before they occur. They recognize the signs of decompensation and/or when inmates are off their meds or need them adjusted.

Of course there is always just the random nut up episode too, which is why there are rules like two officers ONLY for X inmate!

I have never been injured myself, but I have had a number of friends attacked by inmates. Seldom is it just a random act coming out of no where.

Good luck to your co-worker!

The question is...

Did they Shoot the Sheriff?