Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Qi Cultivating Exercises

The issue is the same in this thread as any other "qi" thread:
    No one has defined Qi to a point that all agree on.
    Untill Qi is defined, then it can be discussed in any serious form.

This is a MA forum and as such, any discussion about Qi should relate to the MA application of them and, for those that prefer ( for whatever twisted reason) to do MA as a form of "exercise" then there can be a discussion about QI as it relates to health.
    But you have to make a call in regards to which "view" of Qi you want to discuss.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Talking Full Circle

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The issue is the same in this thread as any other "qi" thread:
    No one has defined Qi to a point that all agree on.
    Untill Qi is defined, then it can be discussed in any serious form.

This is a MA forum and as such, any discussion about Qi should relate to the MA application of them and, for those that prefer ( for whatever twisted reason) to do MA as a form of "exercise" then there can be a discussion about QI as it relates to health.
    But you have to make a call in regards to which "view" of Qi you want to discuss.
    All good points...so let's go back to my original question knowing the existence/non-existence of qi is still open for debate:

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    This may have already been asked elsewhere, but what is the current understanding behind qi cultivating exercises such as the yijinjing/i chin ching and san chin/sanzhan forms? How do these build qi?
    If one assumes there is qi in the classical sense (i.e. a life energy that is led by the mind and regulates muscle and organ function) is the leading theory that these exercises cultivate/build post-natal qi somehow? If so, what is the theory that explains how these exercises increase the amount of qi in your body?

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post

If one assumes there is qi in the classical sense (i.e. a life energy that is led by the mind and regulates muscle and organ function) is the leading theory that these exercises cultivate/build post-natal qi somehow? If so, what is the theory that explains how these exercises increase the amount of qi in your body?
    Unless you can quantify qi, you do NOT know if you are increasing the amount of Qi (whatever it is) in your body.
    In short, to know whether you have more qi, you have to know how much you have to start with.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

You want to talk about Liver Qi or Spleen Qi as these energies pertain to Acupuncture and Herbal medicine, then yes I will talk about Qi.

I do not talk about Qi when I am training or fighting.

Qi Gong is not fighting, but you can train some Qi Gong to help your training.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

I haven't done yijinjing for ages so I can only speak about my limited knowledge about the neigong training of the internal styles which is probably very close to daoist methods of xiulian. It includes zhoutian, taixi, tunna, ... and there are all kinds of exercises for each part.

In my view the most important thing before starting qigong is a healthy lifestyle(diet, exercise,...) and after that moderation in sex as a certain degree of abstinence is necessary otherwise one can not progress much and it would be a waste of time. Many people from all kinds of spiritual systems around the world know that loosing that energy is bad and restoring it takes a long time.

Another point is that in these methods one learns to clean the blockage in the meridians so that qi can flow freely in them. Also one can learn to absorb the energy from the environment through the eyes, acupuncture points, ...

So as you see the reserved qi increases and its flow will improve in the body. According to TCM qi leads the blood and other body fluids and probably this way by improving the cardiovascular system it can improve the function of our muscles.

Other than that qigong can increase the body awareness and this way no matter what style I practice I incorporate that awareness in my training and this way sometimes my training can become an extension of my qigong awareness.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 07-18-2012 at 12:31 PM.