Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elbows just cut...

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Thank Glenn, you explain it better than I can. That's what I'm trying to say.

And at advance level, we have specific drills to practice using the elbow and dealing with the incoming elbow (elbows are much harder to stop when the whole body mass is behind it). The drills involve certain moves that the beginner needs to master before moving into elbow range, otherwise it's too difficult.

Cheers
    Totally agree that fighting at elbow range is more difficult than at more extended ranges, whether that is to avoid grappling or to avoid opposing elbows. Its why elbows come later in training in most cases.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Problem with elbows is that its a risk. WC to me does not want to get into the true clinch/wrestling range (for long)and if you start to make them a main weapon youll only be putting yourself in this position more often. Look at the Thais, how often do they go from elbow-clinch and vice-versa?
    So interesting to see how people respond to certain things. I know that the distance will close dramatically if I was targeting your head/body with my elbows and that is a main aim of closing that distance, or entering if you like. But who is saying that I will use my elbows in that way??

I have caught feet and elbowed the instep, punished a 'jabber' by elbowing the inside of his arms and in fact there are numerous ways of using the elbows that doesn't put you in any 'clinch' range at all (if that's your preferred term for close body fighting), The spedd of the elbow is faster than the hands when done correctly so can be utilized in many ways.

Why limit yourselves so much??? Haven't you heard of the simultaneous defence and attack methods of Wing Chun?? This is how we roll
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

So interesting to see how people respond to certain things. I know that the distance will close dramatically if I was targeting your head/body with my elbows and that is a main aim of closing that distance, or entering if you like. But who is saying that I will use my elbows in that way??
    Fair enough

I have caught feet and elbowed the instep, punished a 'jabber' by elbowing the inside of his arms and in fact there are numerous ways of using the elbows that doesn't put you in any 'clinch' range at all (if that's your preferred term for close body fighting), The spedd of the elbow is faster than the hands when done correctly so can be utilized in many ways.
    Fair enough again, must have been a slow jabber though.
    Remember however that the thread was about elbows cutting (re hitting the head) but your point is taken
    Having said that, anytime you use the elbow as opposed to the fist, regardless of what you are doing, you will be closer to the opponent. There is a risk

Why limit yourselves so much??? Haven't you heard of the simultaneous defence and attack methods of Wing Chun?? This is how we roll
    Why limit yourself to WC?
    Thats how i roll

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Why limit yourself to WC?
    Thats how i roll
    Fair enuff!

But I find Wing Chun by it's nature to be limitless, so I am happy being a one system man (and a one woman man for that matter lol!)
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術