Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elbows just cut...

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Some strikes are more penetrative and thus sink into the body, some push more like elbows and thus need a structure behind them (normally)to be most effective.
    In MMA you tend to see Thai style elbows and thoase are designed to cut, hence the bony bit is shown, can other elbows be thrown and can they be knockout weapsons, yes but like I said horses for courses and yes the same can be said for all strikes:
    all strikes have their benefits and weaknesses, hooks are very powerful but if you miss hard to reset, straight punches easier to recover from but normally easier to see coming, jabs are faster than crosses but not as powerful so on and so on right tool for the right occasion and all that
    and get out of this forum whilst you can lol
    Haha, youre addicted arent you!

Id add that elbows are all about timing which tht video highlights

In KL22 elbows are not emphasised for beginners, but one of our favourite tools for seniors.

Why? If you are close enough to strike someone with your elbow, you are also close enough to get hit by the opponent's elbow. So until one is proficient in that range, and in handling incoming elbows, best to keep the elbows to opportunistic only.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    In KL22 elbows are not emphasised for beginners, but one of our favourite tools for seniors.

Why? If you are close enough to strike someone with your elbow, you are also close enough to get hit by the opponent's elbow. So until one is proficient in that range, and in handling incoming elbows, best to keep the elbows to opportunistic only.
    This is also similar to how I'm taught as well. Basically, we're told that the elbows are like having two extra hands, so before using the two extra hands, one must be proficient with his two natural hands first.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    This is also similar to how I'm taught as well. Basically, we're told that the elbows are like having two extra hands, so before using the two extra hands, one must be proficient with his two natural hands first.
    This is really the truth of it. Elbows are weapons of oppertunity that come in handy in an emergency. Backwards when you can not turn quickly enough to defend from behind, and if you are holding someone or being held by them. The elbows can strike when the hands can't. However, they are pitifully deficient as a primary weapon. An elbow weapon is only as long as the upper arm. That might be a little more than a foot on an average person, and you can not put your best power behind it. An elbow can hurt, there is no doubt, but if you can not make it work as a primary weapon it falls short. In a fight would you use only your elbows? Not hardly, as the fight would not last long. Elbows fall into the same catagory as the bong sao. It is only for when you haven't a better weapon or defense.
    Jackie Lee

We LOVE elbows where I currently train.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    This is really the truth of it. Elbows are weapons of oppertunity that come in handy in an emergency. Backwards when you can not turn quickly enough to defend from behind, and if you are holding someone or being held by them. The elbows can strike when the hands can't. However, they are pitifully deficient as a primary weapon. An elbow weapon is only as long as the upper arm. That might be a little more than a foot on an average person, and you can not put your best power behind it. An elbow can hurt, there is no doubt, but if you can not make it work as a primary weapon it falls short. In a fight would you use only your elbows? Not hardly, as the fight would not last long. Elbows fall into the same catagory as the bong sao. It is only for when you haven't a better weapon or defense.
    Think its fair to say we have entirely opposite views of elbows. IMHO if you can't put your power behind your elbow then you need to train them more or find someone who can teach you to use them properly. Your argument of would you only use elbows is also mute - would you only use punches? only kicks? The "technique" used depends upon the range, the target presented and the position of you to the opponent. Elbows are extremely difficult to see coming and most people don't expect them, they strike with an area that is exceptionally strong and difficult to damage and as there are less joints in the path of force there is a greater connection to the body mass.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Elbows are weapons of oppertunity that come in handy in an emergency.
    I sense a little 'Biu Jii is for recovery' idea? But in all honesty if that is your impression of the elbows and how they are 'used' then you may only have half the picture IMHO.

If you are close enough to strike someone with your elbow, you are also close enough to get hit by the opponent's elbow.
    Same can be said for feet & hands John so what makes the elbows 'more advanced'?

Yes, the elbows are a close-quarters weapon, but our whole system is based on close-quarters (apparently!) and now we start to talk of such ranges people think this is advanced or emergency stuff or whatever.

The whole system is an advanced system so in that sense I understand but we should all be comfortable working in very close proximity to an opponent and know exactly when to distinguish between defence and attack methods.

If you haven't drilled your elbows through the wallbag at least then I understand, but c'mon...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Same can be said for feet & hands John so what makes the elbows 'more advanced'?
    Learn to walk, before learning to run. Beginners should learn to manage with his hands before learning to manage elbows.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Learn to walk, before learning to run. Beginners should learn to manage with his hands before learning to manage elbows.
    I will disagree. I understand if you are talking of 'attacking' but in a general sense a beginner must be aware of his body and structure, and so in SLT we learn about placement of the upper arm to the elbow FIRST (the forearms and hands have no intent)

This for me is Wing Chun 101 but you obviously have different ideas being from a Kulo perspective, which is still cool.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I sense a little 'Biu Jii is for recovery' idea? But in all honesty if that is your impression of the elbows and how they are 'used' then you may only have half the picture IMHO.
    Maybe he makes up for this "lack of the whole picture" by being better at fists distance than you.

Yes, the elbows are a close-quarters weapon, but our whole system is based on close-quarters (apparently!) and now we start to talk of such ranges people think this is advanced or emergency stuff or whatever.
    Problem with elbows is that its a risk. WC to me does not want to get into the true clinch/wrestling range (for long)and if you start to make them a main weapon youll only be putting yourself in this position more often. Look at the Thais, how often do they go from elbow-clinch and vice-versa?

The whole system is an advanced system so in that sense I understand but we should all be comfortable working in very close proximity to an opponent and know exactly when to distinguish between defence and attack methods.
    Comfortable perhaps primary i think not.

If you haven't drilled your elbows through the wallbag at least then I understand, but c'mon..
    And if you havent sparred using elbows against people proficient in that range (MT eg) ,at least then i understand.....

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I will disagree. I understand if you are talking of 'attacking' but in a general sense a beginner must be aware of his body and structure, and so in SLT we learn about placement of the upper arm to the elbow FIRST (the forearms and hands have no intent)
    Totally agree with this. Great point.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Problem with elbows is that its a risk. WC to me does not want to get into the true clinch/wrestling range (for long)and if you start to make them a main weapon youll only be putting yourself in this position more often. Look at the Thais, how often do they go from elbow-clinch and vice-versa?
    Thank Glenn, you explain it better than I can. That's what I'm trying to say.

And at advance level, we have specific drills to practice using the elbow and dealing with the incoming elbow (elbows are much harder to stop when the whole body mass is behind it). The drills involve certain moves that the beginner needs to master before moving into elbow range, otherwise it's too difficult.

Cheers
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Think its fair to say we have entirely opposite views of elbows. IMHO if you can't put your power behind your elbow then you need to train them more or find someone who can teach you to use them properly. Your argument of would you only use elbows is also mute - would you only use punches? only kicks? The "technique" used depends upon the range, the target presented and the position of you to the opponent. Elbows are extremely difficult to see coming and most people don't expect them, they strike with an area that is exceptionally strong and difficult to damage and as there are less joints in the path of force there is a greater connection to the body mass.
    Actually, I do realize that you can be hurt with an elbow, but if you were to attempt to fight someone with only using the elbow you would not be on your feet long, which says it is an inferior weapon. It is indeed a weapon that is used when nothing else is available. I would never just use it because I could. I would use it if I had to. Most men's elbow is only a foot or so off the shoulder, making it an extremely short weapon. Like a pocket knife in a sword fight if you will. I have rolled off elbow strikes from large men and was none the worse for it. Had he struck me in the face with his fist I would have probably hit the floor right after it.
    As for only kicks or only punches, I have taken large men with either or both, but an elbow would have required me to get in within a foot of his head or body to make it work. In that case it would be just as easy, or maybe easier to kick or punch. I know you can deliver far more impact kicking or punching.
    Jackie Lee

[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;1179561]I sense a little 'Biu Jii is for recovery' idea? But in all honesty if that is your impression of the elbows and how they are 'used' then you may only have half the picture IMHO.

I have heard and read that recovery thing and never did understand what it meant. Bil Gee is not for recovery. Recovery from what exactly?
    It is not really an impression of elbows, but that is the way I was taught about elbows. An elbow can be used when you are grabbed from behind, and if you are grappling with someone, which in both cases are extremely close range, and they just might get you out of a bad situation. However, just going in and trying to use an elbow in a square off fight is a very poor way of fighting. I have had a number of people try to hit me with an elbow, and it most always fell way short of connecting. In a few occasions I did get sucker punched with elbows, but it only got the fellow in trouble. I made it very difficult for him to breath because of it.
    Jackie Lee

Actually, I do realize that you can be hurt with an elbow, but if you were to attempt to fight someone with only using the elbow you would not be on your feet long, which says it is an inferior weapon.
    Absolute twaddle and a completely mute and stupid argument. Think about what you are saying. Its inferior because if you limit yourself to only elbows you most probably will lose a fight - well news flash, if you limit yourself to kicks only you'll probably lose as well so does that make them inferior?
    It is indeed a weapon that is used when nothing else is available. I would never just use it because I could. I would use it if I had to. Most men's elbow is only a foot or so off the shoulder, making it an extremely short weapon. Like a pocket knife in a sword fight if you will.
    It may only be short but it is immensely powerful when you have been taught to throw them correctly. It is also very difficult to stop and for most people highly unexpected.
    I have rolled off elbow strikes from large men and was none the worse for it. Had he struck me in the face with his fist I would have probably hit the floor right after it.
    This speaks volumes - if the elbow had been thrown correctly to the jic seen you would have been unable to roll it off. Also interesting that you don't have the ability to roll with punches only elbows
    As for only kicks or only punches, I have taken large men with either or both,
    what you do in your spare time is your own business and has no place on here
    but an elbow would have required me to get in within a foot of his head or body to make it work. In that case it would be just as easy, or maybe easier to kick or punch.
    and when you're past punching range? or fighting someone who likes to stay in the pocket and trade?
    I know you can deliver far more impact kicking or punching.
    nope you know no such thing - it is what you believe based upoon your own experience. It may be true for you but I know that myself personally and my kung fu brothers can deliver as much if not more power in elbow strikes as we do in punches
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook