Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Training for a Knockdown Karate Tournament...

My Training for a Knockdown Karate Tournament...

So, I recently signed up to compete in a knockdown karate tournament. Below is a link to how I plan to train for this event -

http://www.uncagedfighter.com/2012/0...wn-karate.html

I'm already in decent shape.

I've been doing lots of sparring, pad work, bag work, and conditioning. I'm really just changing up a few things to make my training more "specific" to the knockdown karate rule set.

Anyone have any thoughts, critiques, advice?

Quote Originally Posted by donjitsu2 View Post
    So, I recently signed up to compete in a knockdown karate tournament. Below is a link to how I plan to train for this event -

http://www.uncagedfighter.com/2012/0...wn-karate.html

I'm already in decent shape.

I've been doing lots of sparring, pad work, bag work, and conditioning. I'm really just changing up a few things to make my training more "specific" to the knockdown karate rule set.

Anyone have any thoughts, critiques, advice?
    Shidokan has a very specific fight format, or did in my day.
    If I recall, it was 1 round knockdown karate, one round grappling and one round muay thai rules or kickboxing.
    Or was it two rounds of each? I can't recall.

Honestly, the one thing you need to do to train for knock down karate is to spar hard and get used to getting hit bareknuckle.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Advice?

Knock 'em Dead!!

mickey

So what are the specific rules of the contest? Get your opponent to the ground? Points? Timed rounds? Are trips and sweeps allowed? Throws?

As far as your training is concerned, it looks like you have the overall jist of it based on your blog...I'd do less iron body training and more defensive skills work. Two reasons...you may beat yourself up too much prior to the tournament, during the fight you'll have adrenalin going for you and why not get hit less? It's all about conditioning, conditioning, and adaptation to your opponent. Make sure you're training with different partners with different skill sets and adjusting to them on the fly. Don't be one dimensional.
    Last edited by Hebrew Hammer; 07-18-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Shidokan has a very specific fight format, or did in my day.
    If I recall, it was 1 round knockdown karate, one round grappling and one round muay thai rules or kickboxing.
    Or was it two rounds of each? I can't recall.

Honestly, the one thing you need to do to train for knock down karate is to spar hard and get used to getting hit bareknuckle.

That is correct of Shidokan. It is more of a "Martial Arts Triathalon" with Knockdown Karate, Kickboxing (K-1 rules), and mma/grappling.

However, this is only a Knockdown event so I don't have to worry about grappling (which I'd be alright even if I did) or the kickboxing.

Basically, the rules are:

1. Full contact strikes (punches, kicks, knees, elbows) to the body and legs.
    2. You can kick to the head but you aren't allowed to punch to the face.
    3. No grappling but you can sweep an opponent.
    4. The if you grab an opponent it must only be for a brief moment (like a quick pull to knee him) - no clinching or holds.

here's a video of a shidokan guy at a knockdown tournament:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4x69n_UZHw

That is correct of Shidokan. It is more of a "Martial Arts Triathalon" with Knockdown Karate, Kickboxing (K-1 rules), and mma/grappling.

However, this is only a Knockdown event so I don't have to worry about grappling (which I'd be alright even if I did) or the kickboxing.

Basically, the rules are:

1. Full contact strikes (punches, kicks, knees, elbows) to the body and legs.
    2. You can kick to the head but you aren't allowed to punch to the face.
    3. No grappling but you can sweep an opponent.
    4. The if you grab an opponent it must only be for a brief moment (like a quick pull to knee him) - no clinching or holds.

Typical of a kyokushin off-shoot.
    Like I said, the biggest issue is taking the bareknuckle shots and getting used to the gi if you don't train in one.
    Also, you need to be cautious of your head, far too m any novices get so preoccuiped with the body punches they are getting that they leave the head unprotected for round kicks ( the most popular KO weapon).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

So- the smaller guy was losing!!

What was he learning from this?

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post

If you can't run with the big dawgs, you stay on the porch!
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

That even if the odds are stacked against you, you should keep fighting.

Stop being the smaller guy.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

lol right @ the end "no video taking" and then the video ends. Did ninjas get the guy filming the fight?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    lol right @ the end "no video taking" and then the video ends. Did ninjas get the guy filming the fight?
    Yeah, I don't know what the hell is up with that. I mean spectators videos on youtube are like free publicity for your event...super lame.

sooo....here's my fight:

Well the event was a blast.

I didn't win but I had a great time. Everyone at Shidokan Atlanta was super cool.

Here's video from the event (I'm the guy in black...it was an old Gi from dojo I no longer train with):

Shidokan Cup Round 1
    (almost get knocked out in this round because I REALLY need to start keeping my hands up!)

Round 2
    (very tired here)

I also did a write up on my blog (link in my sig)

Nice forehead block to his roundhouse! No you looked good man. Hands were low...but good movement and energy.

He learned that had he been doing wing chun training he would have been killed.

Good job, donjutsu. Wow.