Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Man of Steel

I never was a big Superman fan. I couldn't figure out why he became unrecognizable as Clark Kent just by changing into a suit, donning glasses, and pretending to be soft. I realize it's a comic, but come on.

Yeah, I agree. That's a pretty weak hole.

However, we ARE talking about a guy born on Krypton that can fly, has superhuman strength, shoots lasers from his eyes, has super breath, faster than a speeding bullet, bulletproof, etc.

I think we are just expected to believe his minor disguise issues in the face of his much larger, obvious unbelievable feats. If we can believe that he can do all those, why can't we believe that the few people he knows are clueless?

Also, I think he's just supposed to represent the average guy/geek and it helps to humanize him and make him more recognizable as such. Afterall, he IS a "Messiah."
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Watchmen was brilliant. And I liked Sucker Punch, too.
    sucker punch was blah...12 year boys wet dream..not abstract at all.lol

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    Sounds good to me. I'm still having the same wet dreams I had when I was 12... lol
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

A movie about a girl getting a lobotomy, who is fantasizing while getting the lobotomy, and whose fantasies also have fantasies, is a pretty abstract concept, especially for Hollywood.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

no inception was an abstract concept...this was tedium at its finest.....the whole idea of the burlesque house was super unnecessary and boring to boot...but to each his own...thats the point of film...everyone see's it different...just please dont call zack snyder high art...he is not. chris nolan is art, marty scoresse is art, jean peire mellville is art, hong kong era john woo was art...zack snyder is not art.

no inception was an abstract concept...this was tedium at its finest.....the whole idea of the burlesque house was super unnecessary and boring to boot...but to each his own...thats the point of film...everyone see's it different...just please dont call zack snyder high art...he is not. chris nolan is art, marty scoresse is art, jean peire mellville is art, hong kong era john woo was art...zack snyder is not art.
    This is art.

Movies are just masturbation.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I never was a big Superman fan. I couldn't figure out why he became unrecognizable as Clark Kent just by changing into a suit, donning glasses, and pretending to be soft. I realize it's a comic, but come on.
    I've got an operating theory on that.

Everybody knows Kent is Superman. But everybody also knows that Superman likes pretending Kent is a disguise, and really, are YOU going to be the one to tell the guy who can fly, punch reality so hard it breaks, and melt steel by looking at it that his disguise sucks?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

The whole "suspension of belief" theory is plausable IF we take into account that:
    Kent was know before Superman.
    Superman is basically a "god" and when resented with the evidence that "God" is hanging out in disguise of Clark Kent, it is far easier to accept that they just look alike ( everyone has their own twin).
    Of course this doesn't really apply to Lois or Perry White that basically accepted the fact that Superman is Kent but doesn't want anyone to know.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    This is art.

Movies are just masturbation.
    i beg to differ but whatever.

That painting is art, so is a movie - it may be good art, may be bad art, but there is no other objective word for a piece of cultural ephemera like a movie.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Man of Steel

Ok, seriously now !!
    Everyone is talking about the super awesome trailer at comicon and how this is gonna be the best movie ever !!
    Bunch of ****-teasers !!

Anyone seen the trailer yet?

You mean Superman? He's such a bore. Seriously my least favorite superhero.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    You mean Superman? He's such a bore. Seriously my least favorite superhero.
    Blasphemer !!!

From what the reviewers of the trailer said, even the ones that are NOT Superman fans are jacked for this one.

It does look better than the last Superman reboot. (Super-son pffffft, Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex should have put lie to that one)
    Simon McNeil