Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Muk Yee Pai - (木耳牌) Wooden Ear Plates & Sek So - (石锁) Stone Locks

Get the 18 pounders.

KK - KFO is a tough crowd...it''s best to detail specifics to win people over. Me, I'm a nut for old-time training devices, but the challenge falls into garage space -- what becomes redundant? Do I need Stone Locks when I have Club Bells, Cinder Blocks, and other weights? Don't know...but I'd love to hear some things that might woo me.

Now the stone balls - those I'll be picking up...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

wouldn't the fact that curling a kb like that is more difficult make it better, as the challenge is greater? kbs are more difficult than standard dumbbells, and that difficulty is one of their stronger selling points.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too

Now the stone balls - those I'll be picking up...
    Nobody touches my balls...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

He said stone, not stank...
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

wouldn't the fact that curling a kb like that is more difficult make it better, as the challenge is greater? kbs are more difficult than standard dumbbells, and that difficulty is one of their stronger selling points.
    Absolutely, but is it even possible to do that with the light kettlebells? We'll see if Seven Star can. I'm willing to bet that most people can't. So if you can great, but for most people, they will have to get another piece of equipment for that function.

When looking at any piece of equipment, you have to take into account a number of things. As Monkey Slap mentioned, space will always be an issue.

More importantly, the question should be asked, "If I buy this, what can I get out of it and what can it do for me?"

I have been searching for stone locks for years and I guess was in the right place at the right to to find them. At first, I just wanted them because I had been searching for them for so long but now that I actually own a set, I find that they truly are awesome training tools.

I dont know about everyone else but I like to get the most out of my training time. Although you could do some of the same movements with dumbbells or kettlekebells, the grip and forearm are not emphasized as much. This means taking exta time to work the grip and wrists properly.

This is not necessarily a bad thing it becomes especially important when you don't have all the time in the world to work out. As I mentioned before, these are great for doing various kinds of pushups or handstands on. I learned several more variations I wouldnt have though of from Roger's course. Sure, you can get some cheap pushup handles but that is more money you would have to spend and something else to find space for.

As you mention rubthebuddha, theres no sense in having several different items that accomplish the same goal. It does become redundant.

I see the locks as an awesome combination of form and functionality. They don't take up much room, make many exercises much more intense, and can be used for several different movements that you cant do with anything else.

You have to also ask yourself "What am I training for?" You could get very proficient at Olympic lifting but that might not necessarily help you be a better fighter. I know that when I train with stone locks, they are strengthening my core, entire upper body and emphasing my wrists and grip strength. My lower body is greatly worked too with stance and posture work. All of this together means that stone lock training is making me a better martial artist in a quicker amount of time.

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    He said stone, not stank...
    Which is why red5 didn't respond...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by KombatKid

All of this together means that stone lock training is making me a better martial artist in a quicker amount of time.
    compared to whom?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I'm going to guess himself previously.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

You would be correct Mr. Northern Practitioner.

Today's workout was even better.

We'll see if Seven Star can. I'm willing to bet that most people can't.
    seven is about as close to being like "most people" in regard to strength as xebsball is in regard to singularity of person.

As you mention rubthebuddha, theres no sense in having several different items that accomplish the same goal. It does become redundant.
    i said nothing about redundancy. i was referring to the whole concept of doing something that's more difficult -- the harder it is, the stronger it will make you (unless you lose a lung doing it). if curling a kb is more difficult as described, i'd shoot for that.

in regard to redundancy, i actually like working with different tools -- they each have their own quirks that give you a little different workout. i use bands, body weight and dumbbells. had i enough buttons in my bank account, i'd have several kbs and locks of varying weights sitting in my garage. however, i'm not fabulously well-to-do, so i'll have to make do with what i gots.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Oops, sorry, it was monkey slap that mentioned redundancy.

that would have been terribly ironic if that was doubly-posted. i guess murphy is asleep tonight.

kk -- no worries. a good tool is a good tool. like i said, i'd love to have a set in my pile of training gear.

wouldn't be the first time. I'm all about proof myself though, so here's what I'll do. The KB I have access to is a heavier one - not sure of the weight, but I KNOW I can't curl it and keep it on line with my wrist. Dragondoor sells smaller ones now (the women's line) - I will order a set, and if I can do it, I will get video and post it here.
    Hey Seven Star, have your kettlebells come in yet?

I had a buddy of mine who can **** near close the #3 gripper try to do curls with an 18 lb kettlebell. He couldnt do it, ditto on the pushups and handstands so I'm interested to see what you can do.

My stone lock training has been unbelievable and my grip is stronger than ever. I closed the #2 gripper for six reps yesterday.

Kick Ass!
    -Kid

I haven't been able to - that's part of the problem of having family to support. Hopefully I can get them either this payday or next.

you ordered the COC? cool.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter