Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long are your classes?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Bingo.
    If you really want to get your guys in shape, take a 2 hour class and make it 1 !
    Take your 3 min rounds with 1 min break and make them 3 x .30sec ( although 2 x .30 sec is probably more realistic)
    Take your 20 min warm up and make it 10 BUT do all the stuff of the 20 min !
    Now were cooking with gas !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Average class is 30 minutes of foundational stepping and striking exercises that really work the legs. 30 minutes of partner drills to burn in postural, defensive and offensive concepts and condition the body, forearms and shins in the process. ~50-60 minutes of working specific movements, combinations, and counters with partners in 5-10 minute increments. 20 minutes of closing exercises that focus on kicks, taking blows, body conditioning and hardening, plyometrics, etc. Finish with 15 minutes of specific bone hardening work and massaging the body with jow.

Some come early and hit the bags or drill as well. Hung Gar people work their asses off.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If you really want to get your guys in shape, take a 2 hour class and make it 1 !
    Take your 3 min rounds with 1 min break and make them 3 x .30sec ( although 2 x .30 sec is probably more realistic)
    Take your 20 min warm up and make it 10 BUT do all the stuff of the 20 min !
    Now were cooking with gas !!
    I agree with this as well though, that is the format we use to train sport fighters, just raise how often the training is done as you get closer to the fight in a specific pattern.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    I agree with this as well though, that is the format we use to train sport fighters, just raise how often the training is done as you get closer to the fight in a specific pattern.
    Over the years I have lost my patience with "long workouts" ( maybe too much HIT training lol) but they do serve a purpose.
    I recall visiting on gym that said their workouts were from 7-9.
    And they were, just that with that pace, it could have gone from 7-12 and made no difference.
    I once did a Judo class that lasted 60 min and it was Non-stop 60 min of rolling, throwing, grappling that at least two guys puked and no one's gi was in any condition to be anything other than a towel !!

I think that the smaller the class, the more intense you can make it AND keep it intense.

I remember one guy that came by once when I used to do private classes ( He came by with on of the regulars) and he boasted how he was in the gym everyday for 2 hours !
    Hint: never boast to anyone for how LONG you workout, time is, as Einstein put it, relative.
    He didn't make it through the first 40 mins !
    Of course in those first 40 min ( which 15 or so are warm ups)- I took them to failure ( and by failure I meant to the point where they either collapse are call for their mommy) in:
    Push-ups ( regular, narrow, closed and incline)
    Chins (supinated, pronated and explosive)
    BW squats ( two legged, one legged (pistols and the other one)
    Abs ( all the color of the rainbows)
    LMAO !!
    Granted it is impossible to walk when you have taken squats to failure but the abs were done after when lying down so there is NO EXCUSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Over the years I have lost my patience with "long workouts" ( maybe too much HIT training lol) but they do serve a purpose.
    I recall visiting on gym that said their workouts were from 7-9.
    And they were, just that with that pace, it could have gone from 7-12 and made no difference.
    I once did a Judo class that lasted 60 min and it was Non-stop 60 min of rolling, throwing, grappling that at least two guys puked and no one's gi was in any condition to be anything other than a towel !!

I think that the smaller the class, the more intense you can make it AND keep it intense.
    There is more than one way to skin a cat. As long as the process follows a wave/yin-yang pattern you can go very intense and then recover. Newbies tend to want to die or puke, but the body adapts. As you likely well know, conditioning for going 6+ rounds of striking is a bit different than the conditioning to go 6+ rounds of rolling, and MMA seems to be different from both in some ways as well as far as pace.
    Last edited by Golden Arms; 07-19-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    -Golden Arms-

Blog Entries
    Average class is 30 minutes of foundational stepping and striking exercises that really work the legs. 30 minutes of partner drills to burn in postural, defensive and offensive concepts and condition the body, forearms and shins in the process. ~50-60 minutes of working specific movements, combinations, and counters with partners in 5-10 minute increments. 20 minutes of closing exercises that focus on kicks, taking blows, body conditioning and hardening, plyometrics, etc. Finish with 15 minutes of specific bone hardening work and massaging the body with jow.

Some come early and hit the bags or drill as well. Hung Gar people work their asses off.
    THUMBS UP Golden Arms!!!!!!!!!!!

... and of course variations of this type of program to keep it fresh. Sometimes focus more on SKills, other times more on bangin' around.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

There is more than one way to skin a cat. As long as the process follows a wave/yin-yang pattern you can go very intense and then recover. Newbies tend to want to die or puke, but the body adapts. As you likely well know, conditioning for going 6+ rounds of striking is a bit different than the conditioning to go 6+ rounds of rolling, and MMA seems to be different from both in some ways as well as far as pace.
    Well put, MA tend to be very task specific and the strength and conditioning from MT won't carry over into grappling and vice-versa.
    Not to mention that one guys 2hr workout is not another guys.
    Some guys pace themselves and 2 hours is just fine, some guys push themselves and in 60 min they are huffing and puffing.
    Some guys are experienced and relaxed enough that 2 hours of rolling is no biggie but for a noob, 10 mins can be a lifetime !

The classes at my school are ~60 min a piece. If you're working hard, that's enough. Also, I think a part of it is schedule wise at my school as they teach a lot of material and there's only so many hours each evening.

That aside, I do private lessons mostly for 2-3 hours. We usually hit it hard for the first hour (calisthenics, pad work, performance speed form work, etc) and then grandpa the stuff/forms training for another hour or two.

When I workout alone, it's usually 1-2 hours. That could be 30 min of strength training followed by a 5-mile jog or it could be me doing a good 30 min of stretching, followed by 30 min of calisthenics, followed by 30 min of forms training.

I entirely agree that a good 1 hour work out can be as good (or really even better than) as 2-3 hours of not pushing yourself. I've ran a marathon before but was I really getting a good workout after the first hour or two of running? No, I was just trying to hold on for my dear life, lol. Your body will decide that enough is enough and you're really just tearing yourself up if you train too much.
    Last edited by kuniggety; 07-20-2012 at 12:36 AM.

our classes are 90 min. 3 times a week, 30 warm up 60 learn and or review. However classes are to just that to learn and review.
    You must practice outside of class to get good at anything.
    I encourage my students to learn as much as they can during class pratice at home on their own time and then allow me to review and correct at class.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Sweet...... Good work out regime GoldenArms! We use to work out similar to this when I was younger. 30 Minutes of warm ups and stretches, 30 minutes of Lin Gung, 30 Minutes learning new drills or form section, 30 minutes partner drills, 30 minutes of sparring / fighting. We always mixed it up with differernt amounts times of each but usually 2-3 hours a day, 5-6 days a week.

Nowadays my students train 1 and 1/2 a day, 2-3 days a week.

ginosifu