Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Single Leg Posting, Hanging Leg, YGKYM and the No Shadow Kick

Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    I am sorry, if my post made you angry.
    Good chi to you...

J,
    Your post didn't make me angry at all (or any other emotion for that matter), I was simply pointing out that it made you look very stupid.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

In my opinion there are not wrong questions, but are different interpretations.
    My post was not in any way insulting toward you.

I respect Ethic. Reading your statements I see, you do not...

J,
    You begin by saying you were not insulting and then go on to make an absurd statement including an unintelligent assumption about me. My post was not insulting either, just simply pointing out that you made yourself look stupid by not bothering to read previous posts or at least the one you quote from before commenting. You have once again done the same thing by your post above. What questions are you referring to? What "ethic" is it exactly that you respect? Your sentence makes no sense even if you capitalise the first letter. There are ethics, of which I have many. You can value an ethic such as a hard work ethic, or an ethic of politeness or humility and I do, or you can be ethical and I try to be so in all of my dealings both in person and in business.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

In my opinion there are not wrong questions, but are different interpretations.
    FWIW IMHO This is one of the most common problems within Martial Arts today.

And it's a genuine misconception from people who have been taught 'as a student', not from those I have met who have been taught 'as a teacher/Sifu'.

So, Jox, there ARE wrong questions for student teachers to ask, and the Sifu who promotes that there are no 'wrong questions' is just teaching people to train, as fighters or healthy exercise maybe. And again, if you have this idea I can only assume you are currently still a student who has not expressed an interest to teach for your Sifu?

If this is the case, your question on ethics serves no purpose either man! The word, I believe, you were looking for is 'virtue' (?) and there is a whole heap of those to consider learning if you want to teach (privately or publically!)

I was taught these as a 'Mo Duk', as I know others would have too and from my personal and brief experience of Ian and his Sifu, they have this by the bucket load. Just my opinion though, so take it as that only...
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 07-26-2012 at 06:16 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Very interesting responses. A few of the things I do know. The signature 'lifting' aspect of our kicking system is a big part of the mechanics of no shadow. There was a good chart in the thread showing the geometry of this.
    I like to lift with a very slight concave curve that seems to add power (acceleration curve) and smoother returning recoverable energy. Compaired to chambered kicks, this method really can make for a echoless upper body. When lifting through this nearly imperceptible curve, the returning energy 'sticks' you to the ground alowing you to kick out and return even from YGKYM without shadow.
    On the issue of footwork and the weight distrubution task, it's a pickle when side stepping using step/slide method to maintain ambidexterity .In the mook jong, when step/sliding to say the right ( dummies left) the one place you kick right legged, many houses have a near to total cross step as a solution to grabbing purchase . Hhhhhhmmmmm. Apart from this chapter in the MYJ to facilitate the boot, how often do we see 'cross over stepping'? Not often.
    This is where the 'T' step can be a solution. None of the houses I've formally trained in use this interesting footwork. (to the best of my knowlege) The T step in Traditional Wing Chun give one parity of kicking pretty well. The only trade off I feel is alittle less stickiness as you move to the side. Shuffle slide does really alow a 'spiraling in' closeness. Where the T step seems to pull you away slightly from the core of the opponent. But this is slight.
    Thank you for all the informative posts...and what happened to that chart?
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Regarding questions on the forum, I think that we should ask what ever we like...
    The problem arises because of interpretations...
    That wasn't exactly made clear Jox but it's okay.

On the interpretation thing... how do you think people receive different interpretations of a system? And do you honestly think that this is the core of the problem?

I ask because my view is based on the fact that every single Sifu I have met doesn't necessarily have a different interpretation of the basics of Wing Chun system, but they have been shown different 'styles' of chisau, entry and sparring methods by their Sifu. Some good, and some bad. The guys with little skill tend to be those that 'chose' to teach rather than those that were 'taught to teach' if you see what I mean?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I have found, for me, internal training has really helped in the microcosm of kicking structure.
    The hyper-awareness of both internal and external goings on and the taxonomy of energys that this kinda training can bring makes it worth the time and 'non effort'.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    In the mook jong, when step/sliding to say the right ( dummies left) the one place you kick right legged, many houses have a near to total cross step as a solution to grabbing purchase . Hhhhhhmmmmm. Apart from this chapter in the MYJ to facilitate the boot, how often do we see 'cross over stepping'? Not often.
    This is a Mui Fa step and it 'should' be prevalent in all Wing Chun but that is simply not the case. In my earlier times we used to call this 'skirt stepping'

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    This is where the 'T' step can be a solution. None of the houses I've formally trained in use this interesting footwork.
    Well, meet another family that does! Although we call this 'dragon stepping' and not the T-Step (although Sifu Goh may use that term too) what you describe is the same (I think!)

With both our dragon and skirt steps we have a Yum Yeurng (Yin Yang) of each, they can be done with front/back legs and one version that is dead centre (like most 108 from your example) and it has a lot to do with 'snake walking' FME

Needed to get you in position for your shadowless kicks, but not really the kicks themselves
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術