Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Leg Posting, Hanging Leg, YGKYM and the No Shadow Kick

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    This is getting good. I'm hoping to get into footwork and no shadow kicking.
    For me, the cinnamon test is from YGKYM; straight front kick...back to line. No...Shadow. Almost defies gravity.
    The Quick Draw kick of Ving Tsun
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    The Quick Draw kick of Ving Tsun
    Apart from being fast and non-telegraphing, another attribute is to have it unpredictable, and to come in at angles hard for the opponent to see.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by MOSHE View Post
    the difference is still that you losing one thin moment when you free the leg kicking from the weight on it to be re balance to the other one

so thats not what i can call 100 % no telegraphic

and thats a physical law

if in this case you dont re balance ,you cannot really lift the leg

100% back leg , problem solved
    Cant argue with any of the logic there, but with practice, for all intensive purposes, it can be done.

Having said that, neither of the legs are as free or non-telegraphic as the front foot in a 100% rear weighted leg, but, how free is your back leg??

I struggle with the concept of always being equally weighted or always being 100% rear weighted. Wing Chun for me should be a mixture of both depending upon the situation. If I'm driving in to an opponent or moving backwards I weight the rear leg to keep my head back, make room for my hands, make the lead leg less vulnerable etc, however the rest of the time I will be neutral or if turning / shifting will be weighted to one side or the other.
    As far as the shadow less kick is concerned I think people are taking it a little bit too literally. The upper body should be trained not to reveal the intention of the lower body but the fact that the kick is aimed low, at a distance closer than most other system kicks, has no chambering and is usually performed in conjunction with hand movement means that it is very difficult for an opponent to detect.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Cant argue with any of the logic there, but with practice, for all intensive purposes, it can be done.

Having said that, neither of the legs are as free or non-telegraphic as the front foot in a 100% rear weighted leg, but, how free is your back leg??
    When you want to kick with the back
    Leg even from a neutral stance or back leg full support
    You are in the same situation , having to transfer forward the weight support
    Like walking

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    I struggle with the concept of always being equally weighted or always being 100% rear weighted. Wing Chun for me should be a mixture of both depending upon the situation. If I'm driving in to an opponent or moving backwards I weight the rear leg to keep my head back, make room for my hands, make the lead leg less vulnerable etc, however the rest of the time I will be neutral or if turning / shifting will be weighted to one side or the other.
    As far as the shadow less kick is concerned I think people are taking it a little bit too literally. The upper body should be trained not to reveal the intention of the lower body but the fact that the kick is aimed low, at a distance closer than most other system kicks, has no chambering and is usually performed in conjunction with hand movement means that it is very difficult for an opponent to detect.
    there no mixture in the structure of wing chun concerning the basic concept

if you mix ,its cannot be called anymore wc and this will have distortion effects in other areas

When you want to kick with the back
    Leg even from a neutral stance or back leg full support
    You are in the same situation , having to transfer forward the weight support
    Like walking
    Thats my point.

Using the 100% rear weighted means you effectively only have one "shadowless kick"

Ergo the reason not to do it

Personally, i prefer a little bit of weight on the back leg be i WCing or MTing. I like how it gives me that free front leg in both attack and defense and it also allows for good weight transfer going forward in my strikes.

But, i dont adhere to it religiously and change when the occasion arises

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Thats my point.

Using the 100% rear weighted means you effectively only have one "shadowless kick"

Ergo the reason not to do it
    Don't seems logic because neutral or 70/30 means no leg totally free ?

Better one than none ?

In fact , if I refer to other lineages , I think the choice of the stance is done as well regarding the advantage offered to the ability of the hands more than the ability of the kicks

Sum nung you wrote about .is he the one who have an ancestor from Peru?

Don't seems logic because neutral or 70/30 means no leg totally free ?
    Well i can only say that when i spar, most people say they have trouble picking up my front leg and im about 60/40... it works and importantly its a very hard kick

Better one than none ?
    Sure, but i dont have that problem

In fact , if I refer to other lineages , I think the choice of the stance is done as well regarding the advantage offered to the ability of the hands more than the ability of the kicks
    Sorry, not to sure what you mean here??? I think its a translation problem

[QUOTE=GlennR;1180548]

Sorry, not to sure what you mean here??? I think its a translation problem[/

For other lineages
    the choice of the stance is done more regarding the ability of the hands rather than the ability of the kicks

The upper body should be trained not to reveal the intention of the lower body but the fact that the kick is aimed low, at a distance closer than most other system kicks, has no chambering and is usually performed in conjunction with hand movement means that it is very difficult for an opponent to detect.
    Chum kui and the section containing the first kick is an ideal way to train not to telegraph. The Lan sau position can be used to identify telegraphed body movement, as even the smallest movement in the shoulders or general raising of the stance from the supporting leg, is exaggerated by the lan sau shape. Like the movement of a record being played, movement close to the edge is easier to identify than at the center. By focusing on keeping the lan sau still one can train to not telegraph the kick.

Granted, this is to train but one kind of kick. Anyone else have some training tips?
    Last edited by Paddington; 07-23-2012 at 05:09 AM.

http://luimingfai.wix.com/vingtsun

You might want to look at Lui Ming Fai- a Ho Kam Ming protege
    blocking a kick with his own. Lui is balanced equally on both legs
    and not leaning back.Weight is NOT on the back leg.

I think this has to be shown rather than just depending on emails
    and posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    http://luimingfai.wix.com/vingtsun

You might want to look at Lui Ming Fai- a Ho Kam Ming protege
    blocking a kick with his own. Lui is balanced equally on both legs
    and not leaning back.Weight is NOT on the back leg.

I think this has to be shown rather than just depending on emails
    and posts.

Hi Joy

I looked at it , so everybody is doing the same from a facing stance

But when I looked his stepping pressuring another guy, the spread between his legs , and the balance of his weight front and back leg don't indicate me an easy non telegraphic kick !

Hi Joy

I looked at it , so everybody is doing the same from a facing stance

But when I looked his stepping pressuring another guy, the spread between his legs , and the balance of his weight front and back leg don't indicate me an easy non telegraphic kick !
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

We see different things...it's ok.

Pointless to argue much. The issues involve details of relationships to gravity.
    Moshe.

Do you have any visible example of Ng Chan's, or your sifu's or your back leg kick.? Thanks.