Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What could this guy do using his yang style to win?

I spent a lot of time learning Taiji, and trying to figure out how I might use it to fight. The problem I have had always had is that (1) those that practice Taiji for the most part had no interest in fighting with it or had (like some people on this forum) unrealistic ideas of what combat would be like (imaginary qi-powers, etc.), (2) it's often (not always) practiced far too slow despite what the Taiji Classics say about "beating people to the punch" to paraphrase it roughly.

I think it's possible to use for fighting, but there are more efficient ways to do so, and more effective. That being said, if you like doing Taiji, then practice it, no one says you shouldn't, but be honest with yourself about what you can or can't do.

Another thing I might add, Taiji principles are actually pretty solid. The problem comes about when people try to format the principles according to their own movements, and not their movements according to the principles.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Come on, don't make excuses. The Taiji guy reacted like a non-fighter. He didn't react like a restrained fighter who couldn't make use of his best stuff - he got plowed over by a shoot immediately and later geot floored by a bit of a sloppy hook punch he didn't seem to see coming.

I'm sorry, but if he had any fighting skills why didn't he even try a shoulder check? I'm sure those are part of the Taiji curriculum during push hands. For that matter why didn't he try to turn out of the direct line of the shoot?

And I won't even get started on his... I want to say low-inside-crescent kick....
    I have always thought "repulse the monkey" is the movement used to stop a single/double-leg takedown.

This guy was paralyzed from the beginning. Forget about fighting, I don't know what he was thinking by going to such a competition without even trying to watch some online videos about the common techniques his opponent would probably use. I have certainly seen much better taiji people in competitions that probably could handle such situations better but the majority of TCMA people are probably as inexperienced in fighting as this guy and this needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    I want to know how you think this guy could win the fight using his style against the white belt BJJ guy.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjMxMzIzNjEy.html
    Tai Chi has take down defenses in it, but this guys as with most haven't learned what they are. For him to learn his system better he needs to learn other systems first in order to unlock the applications in the movements he already knows.

Speaking for myself, in the past few years I've learned more applications in my Shaolin sets from my boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ, MMA and wrestling coaches than I ever did from my kung fu coaches. And they didn't even know they were showing me the applications.

Shaolin has a ton of different movements and variations of, and there are only so many logical ways the body can move, and from what I've seen in 15 years Shaolin covers most all of them. But it doesn't cover all of the applications and usages of those movements and I would be a fool to think it did, so I train in other systems to unlock those ideas.

I have certainly seen much better taiji people in competitions that probably could handle such situations better
    Vids? As in do you have videographic evidence of these better taiji people in competition?

I'm honestly interested because, as a wrestler, I tend to agree with Fa Xing on this - that Taiji has some sound principles but fails in application due to pedagogical issues. If you've seen somebody with "the real deal" taiji successfully using it I, for one, would be very interested to see.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Vids? As in do you have videographic evidence of these better taiji people in competition?

I'm honestly interested because, as a wrestler, I tend to agree with Fa Xing on this - that Taiji has some sound principles but fails in application due to pedagogical issues. If you've seen somebody with "the real deal" taiji successfully using it I, for one, would be very interested to see.
    Well there is this wulindahui (武林大会)program on TV which is for the most part a bunch of inexperienced beginners trying to fight each other but there are some interesting things in them that show potential for taiji as a competitive MA. For example see 王战军 and 陈自强 fights. I'm not saying that it's UFC level and who knows if everything is fair but still there are some good things in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpdzhYjx_zw

Right, because doing push-hands with a sumo wrestler shows your skill as a fighter in a fair arena.

Here he smacks around a tomato can for a while. Still looking for a fair fight so that I can assess his skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i5jw8_lVkk

I will say this: he's better than a talentless nobody.
    Last edited by SimonM; 07-24-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpdzhYjx_zw

Right, because doing push-hands with a sumo wrestler shows your skill as a fighter in a fair arena.
    Who said anything about push hands and sumo?

He could learn how to, you know, fight...

at all...

you are so nasty

all you had to do was see the two guys stood together to know which one had actually trained hard and which one was going to get his backside handed to him, but at least the guy got in there and tried to test his stuff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    I have always thought "repulse the monkey" is the movement used to stop a single/double-leg takedown.

The "repulse the monkey" is the single leg take down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBI3xdVO1uI

Who said anything about push hands and sumo?
    Top link for Wang Zhanzhun on youtube was him doing push hands with a sumo. It's the one that I, you know, linked.

In the second link Wang Zhanzhun was fighting somebody who was apparently another taiji stylist, but it was so one-sided that it doesn't really tell us much about his actual wrestling skills. Some of the techniques he employed wouldn't have worked against a trained guy who weighed the same as him.

His opponent was a lot smaller and didn't seem to know how to fight.
    Last edited by SimonM; 07-24-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    but at least the guy got in there and tried to test his stuff
    True enough. I'll give him credit for trying; a lot of people are too afraid to do that.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    taiji has no excuses. all the same material is in taiji that is in long fist. you CAN use taiji to fight, as long as you train to fight...
    but how you defend hook punch???? its such powerful and mysterious attack.

the hook punch is kryptonite to kung fu.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The "repulse the monkey" is the single leg take down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBI3xdVO1uI
    I think you might refer to "brush knee":

That would be a "single-leg" takedown since it moves forward. "Repulse the monkey" moves backward.

NOE

repulse monkey is corrupted term of "reverse hong quan".

I think you might refer to "brush knee":
    NOE

brush knee is shortened term for "brush knee single whip" . its a beginner reverse punch.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC