Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What could this guy do using his yang style to win?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Top link for Wang Zhanzhun on youtube was him doing push hands with a sumo. It's the one that I, you know, linked.

In the second link Wang Zhanzhun was fighting somebody who was apparently another taiji stylist, but it was so one-sided that it doesn't really tell us much about his actual wrestling skills. Some of the techniques he employed wouldn't have worked against a trained guy who weighed the same as him.

His opponent was a lot smaller and didn't seem to know how to fight.
    Watch this one: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjU0MDgxNDA0.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    If the taji guy was faster and more focused what would be his chances in attacking the bjj guy's head with his knee or fists in that first takedown?
    The Taiji guy's combat strategy and posture are all wrong. If he is fighting against a grappler who likes to shoot, he should

- extend his arms, and
    - put his hands and arms in his opponent's shooting path.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2178/bridgeq.png

This way when the BJJ guy shoots, he has to pass the Taiji guy's hands and arms first before he can gets to the leg. The Taiji guy may have chance to borrow the BJJ guy's shooting and drag him on the ground and then mount him.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-24-2012 at 11:10 AM.

umm what the hell were the rules there.....ref to stop them everytime a fight might break out?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The Taiji guy's combat strategy and posture is all wrong. If he is fighting against a grappler who likes to shoot, he should

- extend his arms, and

This way when the BJJ guy shoots, he has to pass the Taiji guy's hands and arms first before he can gets to the leg. The Taiji guy may have chance to borrow the BJJ guy's shooting and drag him on the ground and then mount him.
    In an MMA enviroment, that well get you "overhanded" in the next day.
    Over extending like that will also motivate the opponent to "slip and take your back" as opposed to going for the shoot.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The Taiji guy's combat strategy and posture is all wrong. If he is fighting against a grappler who likes to shoot, he should

- extend his arms, and

then again he might have his backside handed to him for trying something so stupid

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    but how you defend hook punch???? its such powerful and mysterious attack.

the hook punch is kryptonite to kung fu.
    Either move out of the way or "double wind through the ears":

Which I personally don't recommend, the bob and weave is better. By the way "strike tiger, left and right" are a low cross, and lead high hook:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    I think you might refer to "brush knee":

That would be a "single-leg" takedown since it moves forward. "Repulse the monkey" moves backward.
    The footwork was designed so you can move back to exactly the same spot and face the same direction at the end of your Taiji form. Don't pay attention on the foot work. The "Repulse the monkey" is right hand push and left hand pull. It's "single leg".

The "brush knee" is right hand push, left hand deflect (not pull).

NOE

repulse monkey is corrupted term of "reverse hong quan".

NOE

brush knee is shortened term for "brush knee single whip" . its a beginner reverse punch.
    I know that about "repulse monkey" but it's just the common english term we use.

Usually we translate it to "brush knee and push."

Either move out of the way or "double wind through the ears":

Which I personally don't recommend, the bob and weave is better. By the way "strike tiger, left and right" are a low cross, and lead high hook:
    or you can cover your head with your hand like western boxing.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

If the taji guy was faster and more focused what would be his chances in attacking the bjj guy's head with his knee or fists in that first takedown?
    It is not about the guy doing taiji but his exposure to physical conditioning methods and some level of grappling, whether incorporating BJJ, judo, shuaijiao, etc. The taiji guy thought that by running, lifting weights, etc he was polluting taiji when in fact the opposite was true because he was unfit and a laughingstock!

He failed to adapt to the trainng conditions of his opponent.

The footwork was designed so you can move back to exactly the same spot and face the same direction at the end of your Taiji form. Don't pay attention on the foot work. The "Repulse the monkey" is right hand push and left hand pull. It's "single leg".
    I could see what you mean by that, I was just applying it as is.

or you can cover your head with your hand like western boxing.
    Definitely, and I have and will do that myself. I will also lean depending on my range and use their recovery from the hook to counter with a straight left in a southpaw stance or vice versa.

Definitely, and I have and will do that myself. I will also lean depending on my range and use their recovery from the hook to counter with a straight left in a southpaw stance or vice versa.
    are you ready for surprise?

surprse deploying in 3

in tai chi its called "face protecting fist". just like "heart protecting fist".

It reminds me of when I did high-school wrestling with an occasional knee thrown in.

It's not an ABSENCE of any ability to fight but it's not exactly rocking my world.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    It is not about the guy doing taiji but his exposure to physical conditioning methods and some level of grappling, whether incorporating BJJ, judo, shuaijiao, etc. The taiji guy thought that by running, lifting weights, etc he was polluting taiji when in fact the opposite was true because he was unfit and a laughingstock!

He failed to adapt to the trainng conditions of his opponent.
    he is posessed by a demon. there is nothing you can do for him.

this is called "playing with fire and inviting demons" in kung fu.