Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The forgotten nortern styles

The forgotten nortern styles

Mian Quan, Liu He Quan, Xia Jia Quan, Bak Siu Lam, Emei Kung Fu, Pak Mei, Pao Quan, Hua Chhia, Hou Chuan, Cha Chuan, Hong Quan, Mei Hua Quan, Baji, North Praying Mantis, some branch of White Crane, ... Does anyone know the name of more north Kung Fu styles? I'm looking for information because I am doing a study/work about northern systems. Thanks.

Piqua, Fanzi quan, Tongbei quan, Yingzhao.

wombat combat.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Semillas View Post
    Mian Quan, Liu He Quan, Xia Jia Quan, Bak Siu Lam, Emei Kung Fu, Pak Mei, Pao Quan, Hua Chhia, Hou Chuan, Cha Chuan, Hong Quan, Mei Hua Quan, Baji, North Praying Mantis, some branch of White Crane, ... Does anyone know the name of more north Kung Fu styles? I'm looking for information because I am doing a study/work about northern systems. Thanks.
    Piqua, Fanzi quan, Tongbei quan, Yingzhao.
    Chuojiao, Mizongyi/Yanqingquan/Mizongquan, Hua (flower) Quan, Baguazhang, Taijiquan, Xingyiquan, Xinyiliuhe, Xinyiquan, Erlangquan, Ziranmen, Sanhuangpaochui, Sunbinquan, Gongliquan, Meihuazhuang, Qishiquan, Huihuishibazhou, Digongquan, Liuhebafa, Tantui, Yuejiaquan

are you including branches and substyles too? because there is a s..t ton of them.
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

Every so often, there were invasions in the north.

Thus martial arts were revitalized so often in the north.

Maybe narrow down to province and trace back timelines

limit your topic to some area and timeline last 200 years or last 300 years.

or focus one one style and trace timeline as far back as you could.

other wise your topic is too big and too vague

--

Tong bei: there are 6 major schools or branches

Mantis: there are 4 major schools

Pi gua: cang zhou and shan dong

Xing yi: 3 major schools

--

A lot of my school's legs and wrestling came from heilongjiang - but my Sifu had studied so many different things that mostly what he taught was what had worked north, south and abroad.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Ok. Thanks to all of you for your help

check this site:
    http://www.satirio.com/ma/home.html

lot of info on different styles, including north styles
    treat others like you want that others treat you

Quote Originally Posted by Semillas View Post
    Our System is Liu He and Ziranmen, we also do Liu He Mantis...

How do you divide northern from southern?

Is it based on content? appearance? or just geographical location? if geographical where would you locate the dividing line? the Yangtze? What about styles practiced on both sides or originating on one side but practiced on the other?

There are huge areas in central and western China whose' martial arts are virtually unknown even in China. Many of the arts practiced in these areas don't clearly fit into the general stereotypes of northern or southern.

It looks like most of the major northern styles (plus a couple rare ones) have been listed. There are many more, but most of those are pretty obscure.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktiger View Post
    Our System is Liu He and Ziranmen, we also do Liu He Mantis...
    I know Liu He is Lok Hop but do you know what the cantonese or the characters are for Ziranmen?

Wikipedia gave me: 自然門
    If those characters are correct, the Cantonese transliteration should be something like 'Ji Yin Mun'.

Don't forget, because the North is such a large territory, there are multiple styles, with the smae name.

Hong Quan for instance is a name used for at lest 4 separate styles...that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Hong Quan for instance is a name used for at lest 4 separate styles...that I know of.
    they are all the same style. YOU BIG DUM DUM

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Runlikehell View Post
    Wikipedia gave me: 自然門
    If those characters are correct, the Cantonese transliteration should be something like 'Ji Yin Mun'.
    Yes that is correct I guess it loosely translates to Natural Style or Natural Fist.