Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Challenging the 85% rule

Quote Originally Posted by donjitsu2 View Post
    I think this statement may be true for some, but certainly not everyone.
    Of course, we are dealing with people. There are tons of moderating factors. I don't buy into the 85% rule anyway, but If a person had any chance of observing a lot of fights going to the ground, It would have been in this sort of situation.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    No I am basing it on the idea that people are more scared of getting hurt than they are committed to hurting the other guy. It seems like you have some notion that I am suggesting compassion for the opponent exists in the "go to the ground agreement".
    It was an interesting choice of words...didn't think compassion more along the lines of I don't want to lose or look bad.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Who cares about the statistic. We can agree that there is a chance for it to happen. So be prepared either way.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Who cares about the statistic. We can agree that there is a chance for it to happen. So be prepared either way.
    Truth is - formal grappling training whether you get it from Judo, Jiu Jitsu, or Sambo is a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    It was a part of a marketing strategy to encourage people to spend their time and dollars engaged in one type of training versus another. I think that it is fair to challenge a statistic like this to see if it has merit if it is supposed to inform us about how we should budget our limited time to train.

It was a part of a marketing strategy to encourage people to spend their time and dollars engaged in one type of training versus another. I think that it is fair to challenge a statistic like this to see if it has merit if it is supposed to inform us about how we should budget our limited time to train.
    But the Gracie's proved an importatn point. Strikers who are not prepared to deal wi groundfighting are at a severe disadvantage. Even a shootfighter like Ken Shamrock lost because even thiugh his wrestling was good his ground game wasn't.

I just keep a pack of ninja midgets that follow me everywhere in case it goes to the ground, they jump in with flails and beat the guy(s) off of me. Works 100% of the time. Thats a free local statistic for you guys.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    But the Gracie's proved an importatn point. Strikers who are not prepared to deal wi groundfighting are at a severe disadvantage. Even a shootfighter like Ken Shamrock lost because even thiugh his wrestling was good his ground game wasn't.
    I am not disagreeing with that assessment. I am merely saying that there are reasons to discuss the 85% rule. We understand that we need to know it all, but according to the rule, grappling should be everyone's base art, but I don't think that the rule is based in reality.

I am not disagreeing with that assessment. I am merely saying that there are reasons to discuss the 85% rule. We understand that we need to know it all, but according to the rule, grappling should be everyone's base art, but I don't think that the rule is based in reality.
    True and the Gracie account also comes from police stats which don't transfer over to civilians. But even assumingnthe number is something like 35% it means you still better have some ground game. And considering how defenseless most people are on the ground, and how much damage a well done throw can cause, and how many fight usually end up in a standing clinch (often by the way), it's prudent to train in a grappling art.

Here's a statistic for you all

100% of all martial arts masters who have no legitimate ground fighting training look like mentally challenged individuals when they are taken down.
    * cited from a highly respected source... me

After all the years of hard work and training in whatever - would you want to look like a noob if by chance some BJJ Blue Belt or high school wrestler happens to take you down?

Pull your heads out of your but ts and do some ground training. Accept that it's needed and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    True and the Gracie account also comes from police stats which don't transfer over to civilians. But even assumingnthe number is something like 35% it means you still better have some ground game. And considering how defenseless most people are on the ground, and how much damage a well done throw can cause, and how many fight usually end up in a standing clinch (often by the way), it's prudent to train in a grappling art.
    The police stat thing makes a lot of sense. Most people are reluctant to hit a cop. SWAT cops wear helmets so you can't hit the head even if you wanted to.

SWAT cops wear helmets so you can't hit the head even if you wanted to.
    Swat is tactical and you are wwwaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy past any type of physical confrontation when they show up.

Quote Originally Posted by godzillakungfu View Post
    Swat is tactical and you are wwwaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy past any type of physical confrontation when they show up.
    A buddy of mine does tactical training for his department. He says that it does occasionally happen. If a guy has 2 strikes and is looking at number 3, they will try to tackle a SWAT officer and run or just engage in a bit of wrestling to get by in a narrow hall.

I know what you mean. If SWAT ever showed where I was at. I am hitting the floor and staying there until I am told otherwise. I am not taking an butt stroke to the face. But, then again, I am not facing 80 years if they catch me.

A buddy of mine does tactical training for his department. He says that it does occasionally happen. If a guy has 2 strikes and is looking at number 3, they will try to tackle a SWAT officer and run or just engage in a bit of wrestling to get by in a narrow hall.
    Yes, you are waaaaaaay past a physical confrontation.

in my experience about 50% of the fights i had went to the ground.so you need to know both ground fighting and stand up, ok we know.But a blue belts worth of bjj is more then enough knowledge for alomost any street fight.