Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kettlebell DVD Recommendations

Kettlebell DVD Recommendations

I have a crazy schedule that makes training difficult, two jobs and school so often I only have a hour at odd times to work out. Wanted to to get a set of kettle bells and try squeezing a few work outs at home during the week. Right now I'm doing pretty much only running, 5k run this weekend.

Anyone have any great DVD recommendations for a novice?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Try this, a lot cheaper, as for dvds I'm no help sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNp-Y...2&feature=plcp

Greetings,

I remember seeing Steve Cotter doing some decent stuff with kettlebells.

There is a seller on e bay who is selling some of his stuff at 40-50% off. Seller name: mma-dvds

mickey

I'm going to assume the original one from Pavel is probably the best, and most of the rest probably expand on that one.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Seriously, find a local instructor and get a few privates to learn the basics. Either RKC or Sport style are good but the technical details of basic use are very important, as they are in martial arts.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T England View Post
    Seriously, find a local instructor and get a few privates to learn the basics. Either RKC or Sport style are good but the technical details of basic use are very important, as they are in martial arts.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk
    This type of thing cracks me up.

Since when did kettlebells become a highly technical exercise that people are incapable of learning on their own?

There are a lot of things that people are perfectly capable of teaching themselves with the help of constant practice and attention to details.

Bill Starr(and LOTS of other people) taught himself how to do olympic lifts. I taught myself how to squat, deadlift, bench press, press, and powerclean correctly with absolutely no help from anyone other than a book.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Don't know about DVDs, but I recently found Pavel's Enter the Kettlbell at my local library. It starts by teaching you basic exercises to do before you even think of picking up the kettlebell. I found it to have a lot of good information.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Since when did kettlebells become a highly technical exercise that people are incapable of learning on their own?
    Because if you do the swing (the most basic and fundamental KB movement) wrong it MAY screw with your back and it will definitely not be as effective.

I've noticed most people who don't take the time to properly learn the swing do it horribly wrong. I mean, they REALLY suck sh*t at it.

And chances are if you suck at the swing you suck at other stuff too.

Though a simple google search in addition to a Youtube search is all you need to learn proper technique.

Effective and safe KB work is just like martial arts: you don't just learn this sh*t on your own.

Kettlebells, the only marketing fitness gimic to really catch on, brought to you by the man who lied about his credentials, originally said weights can’t be used for cardio just for strength, then said oh wait kettlebells aren’t weights they are different…… who sold them as much safer and easier than OL bar lifts, then developed a certificate course costing way more than any OL course in order to teach effective technique because they were so difficulty

Honestly this guy could market the shakeweight and make it acceptable to everyone he is a genius

Just buy some heavy dumbell handles get hold of the old york course on line for free, buy some plates and go for it

Steve Cotter, David Whitley, and Mike Mahler are the guys to go to about Kettlebells.

I have met both Steve and David personally and know David through my Jook Lum teacher Shifu Roger Hagood. Steve is a great guy and always goes beyond to help his clients and students. David is like me a big strong guy and its nice to have met my southern living doppelganger Kung Fu Brother.

Mike is great, but I have not had the pleasure of meeting personally as of yet but I will get around to it sometime soon.
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 07-26-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Kettlebell DVD

Rienhardt Kettlebell Solution is what I use.
    Others seem more for the ladies.
    Available on his website or Amazon

Being that both Steve Cotter and David Whitley are long time martial artists. I would recommend them over anyone else to other people seeking to develop strength through KBs.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by donjitsu2 View Post
    Because if you do the swing (the most basic and fundamental KB movement) wrong it MAY screw with your back and it will definitely not be as effective.

I've noticed most people who don't take the time to properly learn the swing do it horribly wrong. I mean, they REALLY suck sh*t at it.

And chances are if you suck at the swing you suck at other stuff too.

Though a simple google search in addition to a Youtube search is all you need to learn proper technique.

Effective and safe KB work is just like martial arts: you don't just learn this sh*t on your own.
    Sorry, but I don't buy that an athletic guy can't learn this stuff by simply following a DVD.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

The dangers of kettlebells is starting too heavy.
    Sure having a guy spot you to see what you are doing wrong is NOT a bad thing.
    Is it 100% needed for the base moves?
    Probably not IF you have some prior Strength training.
    A good video will show you how to do it and more importantly how NOT to do it.
    Being a former Goju.kyokushin guy, the kettlebells for me are just modern versions of the Sashi and Chishi.

In short, get instruction if you can or get a good video if you can't ( or don't want to) and start slow and light.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !