Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kettlebell DVD Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Sorry, but I don't buy that an athletic guy can't learn this stuff by simply following a DVD.
    I don't think you and are communicating correctly, because that is exactly what i'm saying... In fact, I don't think the individual absolutely has to even be "athletic" - DVD's are a perfectly fine way to learn.

My issue is with people who simply see someone doing a kettlebell movement and then trying their best to emulate that movement - which they usually fail at. I assumed this is what you meant by not needing instruction.

So, it seems like you and I are actually in agreement. Sorry about the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by donjitsu2 View Post
    I don't think you and are communicating correctly, because that is exactly what i'm saying... In fact, I don't think the individual absolutely has to even be "athletic" - DVD's are a perfectly fine way to learn.

My issue is with people who simply see someone doing a kettlebell movement and then trying their best to emulate that movement - which they usually fail at. I assumed this is what you meant by not needing instruction.

So, it seems like you and I are actually in agreement. Sorry about the confusion.
    Gotcha. My mistake.

In that case, yeah, lol.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Sorry, but I don't buy that an athletic guy can't learn this stuff by simply following a DVD.
    Are you saying I'm not athletic???!!! Thanks for some of the suggestions guys, I will check out Steve Cotter...

As far as doing them correctly, I will understand its important and believe me if I'm not my back will tell me. I'll probably start with 35lbs...its more of a cardio fit core building lifting I'm going for as apposed to body building or powerlifting. I feel very confident I could learn most of the techniques from the vids.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Are you saying I'm not athletic???!!! Thanks for some of the suggestions guys, I will check out Steve Cotter...

As far as doing them correctly, I will understand its important and believe me if I'm not my back will tell me. I'll probably start with 35lbs...its more of a cardio fit core building lifting I'm going for as apposed to body building or powerlifting. I feel very confident I could learn most of the techniques from the vids.
    Check out your library. Won't cost you a cent, other than late fees lol

Also how are kettle bells better than dumbbells in a martial arts perspective? Just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    Also how are kettle bells better than dumbbells in a martial arts perspective? Just wondering
    I've never used kettle bells per se but my training includes the muhk yih pai--just another version of the stone or iron "locks" used in many systems but, in this case, made of wood. I've tried doing some of the exercises with dumbells and there is a difference.

The rotation of the arm is harder to control with dumbells because the mass is concentrated outside the line of the arm. The bell/lock shape puts the mass in front of the fist for a longer (and slower) radius of movement. This also allows for more wrist curl/ extension work during the swing.

The weights on a dumbell make close-to-the-body swings impossible.

Lock shaped weights are easier to grip and retain because of the forward distribution of mass.

In our training system the weights are not for developing any kind of punching power. They develop the chain of control and connective tissue strength that conditions the body from the floor up.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Kettlebells, the only marketing fitness gimic to really catch on, brought to you by the man who lied about his credentials,
    You're not the first person I've heard say that.

Details?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Regarding the other discussion, I learned the snatch and few other KB lifts from watching one of Pavel's vids, but at that point I had a few years weight lifting experience already and I knew what stuff was supposed to feel like. Also, having a mirror in front of me helped.

I don't know how successful a complete noob would be.

Re: what can kettlebells do that dumbbells can't? The shape of the KB allows for some different movements. For example, you can do snatches with DBs but they will have a slightly different feel since a DB doesn't flip over at the top.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Regarding the other discussion, I learned the snatch and few other KB lifts from watching one of Pavel's vids, but at that point I had a few years weight lifting experience already and I knew what stuff was supposed to feel like. Also, having a mirror in front of me helped.

I don't know how successful a complete noob would be.

Re: what can kettlebells do that dumbbells can't? The shape of the KB allows for some different movements. For example, you can do snatches with DBs but they will have a slightly different feel since a DB doesn't flip over at the top.
    I've had years of weight training too, olympic style throughout my football years...I can't do that anymore, you can probably get a barbell set and do some great workouts with only about 50lbs on it...lots of reps using the whole body. I've done a few kick butt classes at the gym.

DB's can get you a solid workout out too, don't mind Frost, he's just bitter. I think it would be interesting to try it out, I'm all for mixing it up and it won't cost much. Probably $20 for a DVD and $40-50 for a set of KBs.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

My sifu has a series of videos up on youtube that are exercise related with quite a few of them being kettlebell since he's a kettlebell kind of guy.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...B&feature=plcp

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    You're not the first person I've heard say that.

Details?
    When Cotter Maxwell and Mahler left him it came out of the woodwork he actually wasn’t a master of sports in kettlebell’s and no one in Russia had heard of him in those circles, which is why they claimed they left him

All points raised are fair and I learn loads from DVDs and books but unless you are one of those rare people that can master things correctly on their own you will find lots of benefit from detailed instruction.

You can learn basics from watching, reading and expeirnment but hands on corrections are the only way to master stuff for most people.

Kettlebells are a very dynamic way or moving your body under load but are nothing new as martial artisits know about vests, medicine balls, stone locks, weapons etc. They are probably more functional than other tools because of the range of drills.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

they are not to be honest

apart from the over marketing of one when compared to the other and the fact you cant charge a fortune for dumbbell cert courses the other obvious difference is that and the fact dumbbells can be easily adjusted for weights and are a **** sight cheaper. There are very few exercises you cant replicate with a dumbbell or which were originally dumbbell lifts:
    Dumbbell swings, snatches and cleans were a staple diet for lifters in the 30’s, 40,s and 50’s and are the most important lifts with a kettlebell you can do as a martial artist

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    they are not to be honest

apart from the over marketing of one when compared to the other and the fact you cant charge a fortune for dumbbell cert courses the other obvious difference is that and the fact dumbbells can be easily adjusted for weights and are a **** sight cheaper. There are very few exercises you cant replicate with a dumbbell or which were originally dumbbell lifts:
    Dumbbell swings, snatches and cleans were a staple diet for lifters in the 30’s, 40,s and 50’s and are the most important lifts with a kettlebell you can do as a martial artist
    Correct, the only time keetlebells have an advantage is with keetlebell specific swings and lifts.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

They aren't better.

There are some differences: kettlebells typically come with a much thicker handle than your standard dumbbell, during movements like the clean and snatch the "ball" of the kettlebell with "flip" over your hand and land on your forearm (you learn to catch it so it never really hurts you), etc...

But again these differences don't make kettlebells better.