Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kettlebell DVD Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    I've had years of weight training too, olympic style throughout my football years...I can't do that anymore, you can probably get a barbell set and do some great workouts with only about 50lbs on it...lots of reps using the whole body. I've done a few kick butt classes at the gym.

DB's can get you a solid workout out too, don't mind Frost, he's just bitter. I think it would be interesting to try it out, I'm all for mixing it up and it won't cost much. Probably $20 for a DVD and $40-50 for a set of KBs.
    KBs are more expensive than that, at least they were 5 or 6 years ago when I last priced them. It was like $80 for the 32 pound one, plus shipping I think.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    When Cotter Maxwell and Mahler left him it came out of the woodwork he actually wasn’t a master of sports in kettlebell’s and no one in Russia had heard of him in those circles, which is why they claimed they left him
    I seem to remember hearing some controversy about Steve Cotter, too, although I don't remember what it was.

I met a Russian guy in college 10 years ago who knew who Pavel was. Maybe he knew about him from American marketing, though. I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    KBs are more expensive than that, at least they were 5 or 6 years ago when I last priced them. It was like $80 for the 32 pound one, plus shipping I think.
    Christian's Fitness Factory in Lancaster PA sells kettlebells for a $1.16 per pound. I'm fortunate enough to have gone to an I Liq Chuan class there last year, so I was able to go to CFF and buy a 16kg/35lb and a 24kg/53lb for under $100 bucks without having to spring for shipping.

Whatever controversy there is about Pavel, I think Enter The Kettlebell is a great introductory DVD for this stuff. I also have Mike Mahler's beginner workshop level 1 DVD, but I have yet to really watch it. Which I should.

I seem to remember hearing some controversy about Steve Cotter, too, although I don't remember what it was.

I met a Russian guy in college 10 years ago who knew who Pavel was. Maybe he knew about him from American marketing, though. I dunno.
    Cotters was about his relationship with is sifu i believe,

Greetings,

I noticed that Pavel's accent was not consistent from the very beginning. I thought it was just his marketing gimmick. Nevertheless, he did have something to offer. Sometimes, you have to separate the messenger from the message.

mickey

I've had years of weight training too, olympic style throughout my football years...I can't do that anymore, you can probably get a barbell set and do some great workouts with only about 50lbs on it...lots of reps using the whole body. I've done a few kick butt classes at the gym.

DB's can get you a solid workout out too, don't mind Frost, he's just bitter. I think it would be interesting to try it out, I'm all for mixing it up and it won't cost much. Probably $20 for a DVD and $40-50 for a set of KBs.
    me bitter, what about exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

I noticed that Pavel's accent was not consistent from the very beginning. I thought it was just his marketing gimmick. Nevertheless, he did have something to offer. Sometimes, you have to separate the messenger from the message.

mickey
    its his message i have issue with, he was a strength guy first, said weight were for strength NOT conditioning you should not mix the two...then all of the sudden weights were for conditioning but only his special kettlebell...

his accent and the whole comrade thing was a marketing gimmick, and at that he is a genius no doubt

Hi Frost,

I am thankful someone else saw the gimmick.

You have to understand that it took Pavel an awfully long time to be able to pronounce "conditioning" consistently with a "Russian" accent. It was much easier for him to say "strength" that way.

He is not the first to conduct himself like that. Take a look at Joe Weider. This guy was hard core against High Intensity Training. High volume was his thing. Now that Arthur Jones is gone, his magazine is chock full of athletes who trained the HIT way and Joe Weider now says that he has always been about High Intensity Training. In both cases, it keeps them relevant and keeps the money coming in. As consumers we have the right to dump these guys at any time. A long time ago, the late Jack Lalanne tried to cash in on the sudden vitamin craze with a supplement that contained vitamin "G"-- it doesn't exist.

mickey

me bitter, what about exactly?
    That's a good question...its mostly tongue in cheek but its either the popularity of Kettle Bells or their origins? Not sure why it really matters who or where they came from? Why is it an issue for you?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

You obviously don't have access to a Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CAP-Barbel...ebell/14894508
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

That's a good question...its mostly tongue in cheek but its either the popularity of Kettle Bells or their origins? Not sure why it really matters who or where they came from? Why is it an issue for you?
    Ok fair question and it’s a bit of both
    A well know S and C coach in the states who has worked a lot with the old soviet union coaches and scientists related a story of when one of those said coaches came to his facility and saw the kettlebells being sold over here, he ask why were the handles so small? Because in the programmes in the USSR (this guy had been a top 10 decathlon athlete over there as well as a full time coach) they were used for ankle mobility so the handles had to be bigger and leg drills (swings etc) they were also used for throwing drill. Said coach had also never heard of pavel neither had any of the others the guy had worked with over the years.
    Yuri Verkhoshansky,father of modern plyometrics usd them for throws and squat jumps nothing more. So the soviets used them differently than they are being marketed over here and only sparingly,
    So for me they are over priced, over hyped and over sold, just like functional training, bands and lord knows what else.
    Everyone want s the new gimmick, the new cutting edge way to fitness, but the truth is what worked in the 40’s and 50’s works now, heavy basic compound lifts, and there’s nothing you can do with kettlebells that you cant be with cheaper dumbbells

its his message i have issue with, he was a strength guy first, said weight were for strength NOT conditioning you should not mix the two..
    I wonder if that was a contextual reference.

Anyway, regardless of Pavel's history, he has expanded my knowledge by more than probably anyone else regarding strength training and was always cool to answer my questions (back in the beginning before DragonDoor got popular and Pavel was posting on their forum).

I've heard most of his stuff is just rehashed Zatsiorsky or other soviet stuff. That's fine. It's so different from what is typically taught, and it's not like Pavel is claiming to have discovered any of it.

The only thing I don't like about that company is DragonDoor's marketing. They spam my inbox with so much junk mail trying to get me to sign up for seminars, buy new products, and once they even send out some obvious internet marketing "expand your business" or "get rich quick" type nonsense. It was really spammy and I remember checking their forums around that time and a bunch of people were complaining.

I remember in the beginning Pavel was also really anti-bodybuilding. I think that was just marketing schtick. It also somehow lead to this mistaken notion some people have that bodybuilders aren't strong, which is laughable.

Most bodybuilders aren't as strong relative to their size as powerlifters and other strength athletes. But they're very strong, and they're stronger than all the haters who go on about how "big muscle isn't functional, bodybuilding is dumb."

You obviously don't have access to a Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CAP-Barbel...ebell/14894508
    What the?! $48 and free shipping to the store for a 35lb KB?!

Are those good KB's? I remember seeing some commercially available ones that had weird handles or weren't that good in some other manner that I don't remember.

Too bad the 55 pound one (1.5 pood) is $97.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Troy-Barbe...bells/14100501

Still much cheaper than DragonDoor, though.

Here's another $35 one for $45 shipped:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pound-Kettlebe...dp/B004GXVJIY/
    Last edited by IronFist; 07-30-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Seriously, Christian's Fitness Factory is steal. Quality product too. More of a glossy finish, but great stuff. Just did my kb work this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    Seriously, Christian's Fitness Factory is steal. Quality product too. More of a glossy finish, but great stuff. Just did my kb work this afternoon.
    Hadn't heard of that company. Googled them.

Their KB handles look bigger than others, like the ball part is further away.

Not saying that's good or bad, just saying.

Then they have these other ones that look more normal: