Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single leg post

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Do you teach? or have you ever taught YGKYM to new students? I've taught it to many over the years who have been serious gym rats including one or two who were semi pro body builders. The fact that they can squat huge weights or pump out hundreds of reps stands for nothing after a few minutes in YGKYM because it works the muscles and ligaments in a completely different way. The nature of the muscle contraction is different and the direction of stress on ligaments and tendons is different. Fair play to you if you find squats help you but they've never helped me and have never helped any student that I've ever come across either. To each his own.
    Yes.

And the single leg stance is a mostly isometric hold with a dynamic but through a very small range of motion, yes. It is different than a functional exercise going through full range of motion, yes, but I can guarantee if you have someone whose 1RM is 500 lbs they're going to be far better off than someone whose 1RM is 200 lbs.

Strength carries over from dynamic movements to isometrics but not really the other way around and once you take the single leg post out of isolation and actually use the power from it in chi sao and in sparring the squats will help. TBH i can't believe you're dumb enough as to argue against squats. Strength = good.
    This really smacks of "omg we're so hardcore"

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Yes.

And the single leg stance is a mostly isometric hold with a dynamic but through a very small range of motion, yes. It is different than a functional exercise going through full range of motion, yes, but I can guarantee if you have someone whose 1RM is 500 lbs they're going to be far better off than someone whose 1RM is 200 lbs.

Strength carries over from dynamic movements to isometrics but not really the other way around and once you take the single leg post out of isolation and actually use the power from it in chi sao and in sparring the squats will help. TBH i can't believe you're dumb enough as to argue against squats. Strength = good.
    This really smacks of "omg we're so hardcore"
    Obviously I disagree (as do a number of personal trainers I know) but as you've had to resort to insults I can only figure that you lack the intellect for adult discussion, so there is no point in continuing this exchange of views.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Obviously I disagree (as do a number of personal trainers I know) but as you've had to resort to insults I can only figure that you lack the intellect for adult discussion, so there is no point in continuing this exchange of views.
    I didn't resort to insults. I called dumb, dumb. It wasn't "you're dumb" it was "your opinion is dumb because..." but if you want to take your ball and go home who am I to stop you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I didn't resort to insults. I called dumb, dumb. It wasn't "you're dumb" it was "your opinion is dumb because..." but if you want to take your ball and go home who am I to stop you.
    Bacon,

I took your words to be an insult, as I am sure I am not alone in this view.

It's funny how some consider one view to be dumb till someone else comes along and shows a different viewpoint. I am thinking of those who thought the world was round. A few hundred years ago they were thought to be "dumb". Then again there were those during the Dark Ages who thought bathing was bad, many thought their pov was also "dumb".

I doubt that anyone would argue against building functional strength. However, to think that strength is all one needs or that a 500 lb squat to excel in Chi Sau could be considered a "dumb" pov as well. I know of many gym rats who are much stronger than I am, however that strength did not necessarily equate to skill.

Just as to disdain strength is or could be considered "dumb" to overly rely or stress strength could also be just as "dumb".
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Hi everyone,

So several weeks in, I'm still challenged with the single leg post on my right side, but have recognized that some of this was due to poor hip alignment on my right side. My right is slowly starting to catch up to my left. I've gone from being able to stand on the one foot for 5 - 10 seconds to about 10 - 20 seconds, and counting.

Thanks for all your insights and help!